Compounds finally done... Now the real battle

Cota

Reaction score
907Dave, got a pick of your oil feed from the passenger side oil port?
Also can we clarify what the 1/4 port on the passenger side is for. Can we use it for an oil supply to the turbo or not?
I'm confused now. Thanks

Big Bore

Reaction score
Another thing that has popped up that sounds abnormal to me is a louder than normal cackle coming from the back of the motor and only under harder acceleration. Anything that would pop into anyones mind?

ICP comes to my mind. If it's high, and certain tuning tables are being used, it will make the PCM have fits trying to compensate.

907DAVE

Reaction score
907Dave, got a pick of your oil feed from the passenger side oil port?
Also can we clarify what the 1/4 port on the passenger side is for. Can we use it for an oil supply to the turbo or not?
I'm confused now. Thanks

The port is on the driver side, its 1/4 NPT and there is no reason why it cannot be used for an turbo feed. In this pick I was using it as an auxiliary feed for my HPOP's.

IMG_4454.jpg

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Dave, I looked, there is a passenger side port. Rear of block. Near the rear main. Unless I'm mistaken and its a coolant passage, it should work, no?

Either side can be used to feed your LP turbo. I see no reason why you can't supply it with its own dedicated feed. Less line, means less clutter. That's just me though.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Thats the coolant drain plug....see how it is positioned in the water jacket?

IMG_4418.jpg

Marty

Reaction score
1/4" npt sounds right. For some reason I had 1/8" npt stuck in my head last night. LOL

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

There are others that are 1/8", that is the only 1/4" one.

It's usually made to feed the Gen3 Style pumps as an auxillary feed. You can use it to feed whatever you need with oil.

That's a coolant drain plug Steve.

Charles

Reaction score
It doesn't really make a damn where you grab oil from the prioritized portion of the lube circuit.... once it's connected with a sufficiently sized line, the reservoir will see the same oil pressure as the mains.

If it's dropping.... it's dropping.... EVERYWHERE. No amount of additional lines, from any other additional places will change that. And if you're running a Gen3, then you don't have an option to run the auxiliary line anywhere other than the res, as the Gen3 will pull the res dry without it at high rpm.

Run some of the IPR spill back to the res and all will be well. Anyone with a stealth or terminator with return spill oil can attest to the insane oil pressure.

I used to damn near hit 100psi leaving the house on a cold morning when I was running a stealth stage 1 for a while. Hot idle was like 30+psi vs 8 to 10 with no IPR spill returning.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
How do i get oil back to the res without a remote ipr or is that not possible.. I also like your idea of regulating the lube oil with an aeromotive chucky. I will try to get ahold of a modis so i can look at duty cycle and icp during cranking. Where would i start with a high pressure oil leak? I cannot see anything visually coming out of the motor so what options does that leave for me to consider??

Its the same tunes that i had on the truck before and it had a louder than stock cackle to it but i just contributed it to the injectors and Gen3 supplying extra oil to the rail.. Now its almost obnoxious could it be possible that some of this sound maybe coming from the clutch or tranny for sitting motionless for so long?

Next question what the hell is so wrong with the calipers on these trucks every time i turn around another one is sticking closed:cursing:

Charles

Reaction score
How do i get oil back to the res without a remote ipr or is that not possible..

The IPR in a stock pump body will spill the oil directly back to the front cover. It would be hard and totally not worth the trouble to try and tap this passage and block the port in the cover to re-route the flow path while retaining the IPR in the stock location. Mounting the IPR(s) in another location and then routing the spill oil where you please is the solution.

I also like your idea of regulating the lube oil with an aeromotive chucky. I will try to get ahold of a modis so i can look at duty cycle and icp during cranking. Where would i start with a high pressure oil leak? I cannot see anything visually coming out of the motor so what options does that leave for me to consider??

If the truck fires.... then softens down and dies, then cranks a while before refiring, then you are sucking the res dry before the lube oil circuit picks up and refills the reservoir. The IPR spill oil return will solve that 100%.

Its the same tunes that i had on the truck before and it had a louder than stock cackle to it but i just contributed it to the injectors and Gen3 supplying extra oil to the rail.. Now its almost obnoxious could it be possible that some of this sound maybe coming from the clutch or tranny for sitting motionless for so long?

Sounds like an up-pipe leak. Check the up-pipe to manifold, manifold to head on driver's rear especially, and if you've made a custom pedestal or anything like that, check there. Have someone rev the truck to the floor up to ~3000rpm, lift and repeat while you shine a bright flashlight up at the engine from underneath. The smoke should be pretty obvious if you've got a leak.

Next question what the hell is so wrong with the calipers on these trucks every time i turn around another one is sticking closed:cursing:

Don't know. I've only had one stick on me thus far.

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Charels... Could the return or "spill" line for the IPR that you talk about be used to feed a Turbo??? Since I have stealth twins and the rear pumps IPR return is feed back to a spill port that goes right back to the block.. Could I use this IPR return yo fed oil to my secone turbo.. OR could I use it to help fill my HPOP resevor?? And in the prosess i would "free" up some oil and help keep the oil pressure up, So I do not starve the second or ANY of the turbos???

Thanks for the help!!

Big Bore

Reaction score
I would not do that simply because you are relying on the oil coming from the IPR's. If something went wrong with the IPR's or pumps and that pressure dropped, you could lose a turbo.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Ok so it just started what you were talking about before charles where is would act like it wanted to start for just a second then slump off til it picked oil pressure back up then fired right up like it should. What can i do about this or does it just come with the extra charger hanging off the side??

Pics coming here in a hour or so of the whole setup

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Non related to your issue, but I would reall like to see pic.

Im thinking of going to twins. This oil problem you are having, its with a gen 3 correct ?

What if you had twin pumps or even a stock 17* ? You think you would still have an issue ?

907DAVE

Reaction score
Seems like there is a lot of starting issues surrounding the Gen3 setups, is this just something you guys have learned to live with?

Latest posts

Members online