coolant leaking from head stud nut

TARM

Reaction score
While it could be a crack is it not more likley a fubar'd gasket? That was my first thought when I saw the post. Also if at a gasket install issue I would be discussing how to handle it with the builder. Hopefully that is what it is.

Edit: never mind I see HRT already mentioned it.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
that is correct. I have coolant leaking out of the top of a head stud nut. its the driver side rear outside corner to be exact. oil is clean, no coolant in it. just running out and down. what could cause this and any way to stop it for now?

Which stud is it...upper or lower? It would the front upper or lower corner in the pic.

1005dp_01%2Bdiesel_power%2B2002_ford_f250_power_stroke_diesel_rebuild%2Blong_block.jpg

Billy T.
[email protected]

Last edited:

gnxtc2

Reaction score
If the head stud was the upper outer one, was the block and/or head was decked? I wonder if the locating dowel kept the head up and prevented it from sealing which pushed the gasket out. What gaskets were used?

Billy T.
[email protected]

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If the head stud was the upper outer one, was the block and/or head was decked? I wonder if the locating dowel kept the head up and prevented it from sealing which pushed the gasket out. What gaskets were used?

Billy T.
[email protected]
the entire rebuild kit was from riffraff and I am certain that he uses all motorcraft parts.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Ooooooh fun! Been there. Done that. The good news is after you drain all the damn fluids you could have it out, on a stand, and the head off in three hours if you have a decent shop and an equally decent helper.

TyCorr

Reaction score
that is the problem right there

live life full throttle

I didnt either. Still managed. Worst part is traversing ****ty pavement with the hoist or stand. I had to get creative. It might be worth the 200 bucks to pour a new apron in front of your garage or whatever you use to have a smooth surface. If I woulda been thinking, I would have.

bluedge8

Reaction score
you don't have a bobcat or bucket from a tractor to use as a cherry picker? Sorry to hear about this but hopefully it's just a gasket.

Latest posts

Members online