Cutting and welding two HPOP res together

Big Bore

Reaction score
Just so that I'm on the same page, your wanting to put a Res on top of another and have two pumps? One for each head? How will the oil feed both?

I already have two pumps. Are you thinking the pumps mount to the reservoir? The pumps mount to the front engine cover, the reservoir sits above it. Both of my pumps already feed from the reservoir, but theres some issues there. And I'd like a larger available volume as when the ICP and duty cycle are high, the pumps consume a lot of oil. I'm also planning to dump the oil coming out of the twin IPR's to the pan, right now the IPR dumps to the res. Nice hot aerated oil.

I'm seriously leaning toward stacking two SD reservoirs.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Could you stack them, and run two pumps, one in each reservoir. Maybe rig it up so the gears mesh and they would turn the same. Then route each pump to its own head. Just a thought. probably not doable tho.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Could you stack them, and run two pumps, one in each reservoir. Maybe rig it up so the gears mesh and they would turn the same. Then route each pump to its own head. Just a thought. probably not doable tho.

LOL NO!!!!!!!

READ MY LIPS! (and my last post)

LOLLOL

The pumps do NOT mount to the reservoir.

I already have twin pumps, you dont need two reservoirs to run them.

To run them properly is a whole other issue.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I thought they did bolt to the res. Oh wait, brain fart myyyy bad. Forget i ever posted that last reply.

Soo stack two and be done with it. Heck thats even more oil to circulate in the system too. Couldnt hurt any. Just cost more.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I thought they did bolt to the res. Oh wait, brain fart myyyy bad. Forget i ever posted that last reply.

Soo stack two and be done with it. Heck thats even more oil to circulate in the system too. Couldnt hurt any. Just cost more.

Hey bud, didnt mean to sound harsh, was just funnin on ya.:thumbsup:

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
The IH res will bolt right up, and it's a little taller. But I don't know if that means it'll hold any more oil. You'd have to put a plate over the hole in it for the PS pump, which shouldn't be a biggy, but you have to machine the idler pulley off of it in order to clear a PSD belt.

TARM

Reaction score
Has anyone thought of the acumulator idea on this?

The taller the better.....

MAtt has the right idea IMO. There is a number of ways I think it could be done but would have to work thru each one to decide on what would be best over all. Not very different than what I did on my fuel system and had already been consdiering something like this on the HPOP Res.

In theory some very basic like a length of rigid pipe drilled and tapped for HPOP IPR return and block oil feed @ the top and output to the HPOP res from the bottom. Its all low pressure so hoses are not much of a issue that any hyd shop inventory could handle.

But if we go to injectors that can effectively use more oil and can handle more pressure ;) we are going to have to address the LPOP's performance. That's really where the issue is IMO but still would do an accumulator if oil was returned to the HPOP res no matter.

Big Bore

Reaction score
In theory some very basic like a length of rigid pipe drilled and tapped for HPOP IPR return and block oil feed @ the top and output to the HPOP res from the bottom. Its all low pressure so hoses are not much of a issue that any hyd shop inventory could handle.

But if we go to injectors that can effectively use more oil and can handle more pressure ;) we are going to have to address the LPOP's performance. That's really where the issue is IMO but still would do an accumulator if oil was returned to the HPOP res no matter.

IMO returning oil that has been through the pumps back into the res is a bad idea, its hot and aerated, and is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. The whole reason I want higher res capacity is so that if I do a long WOT run and the LPO isnt keeping up with demand, there is enough reserve capacity to get by until demand is lowered and LPO can catch up.

JD3020

Reaction score
The IH res will bolt right up, and it's a little taller. But I don't know if that means it'll hold any more oil. You'd have to put a plate over the hole in it for the PS pump, which shouldn't be a biggy, but you have to machine the idler pulley off of it in order to clear a PSD belt.

Yeah, next time i'm at my brothers to grab my IH res to start working on it. I'm going to make a block-off plate and machine the pulley off and just run it like that so i can sell the stock res and 15* pump with the motor. Then in the future i just gotta throw a gear pump on, make some lines, and i'll be in business. But i'm gonna take some measurements to see how much bigger it is than the stock one.

And what about machining out the inside of the res to get a little more capacity? I haven't had a stock one off, but it seems like i remember the IH one being fairly thick so you'd have some room to take out material. Wouldn't be much, but it'd be some. But like i said its been a while since i've looked at it so i may be talking out my ass.

Wackerjr

Reaction score
LPO is not going to be an issue for any of you....even on the biggest set of injectors made to date they have not taxed the lpo pump....

Accumulators are a waste of time and unneccesary....

Big bore you already have one of the most efficient pumps on the market.... and your looking to make it less so.....

there is way more to the systems than you guys are looking at......

leave them alone, for street trucks it is a waste of time, and not needed. Hell even on the biggest injects ever made to date not nec.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
LPO is not going to be an issue for any of you....even on the biggest set of injectors made to date they have not taxed the lpo pump....

Negative ghostrider. My new sticks consume oil at over 21 GPM under the conditions they are being set up to run at - this does not leave much on the table for the rest of the engine to use to keep your bearings and turbos properly lubricated.

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
Wacker by your post your saying have two is less efficient? So If thts the case call Brian at bts and tell him he's stupid for running two res with his pump setup.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Big bore you already have one of the most efficient pumps on the market.... and your looking to make it less so.....

I completely agree these pumps are capable of feeding even the largest injectors, thats not my problem at all. I have given it a lot of thought, and for now I still think the twin pumps have a lot of advantages.

However I also think there is room for improvement in how they are setup, and after searching around I know that I'm not alone and stand in company with some very knowledgeable twin pump people. In deference to you as the designer, I'm open to an explanation of just how supplying cool, un-aerated oil to the pumps and injectors, and providing a less restricted IPR dump, is making it less efficient?

Wackerjr

Reaction score
Wacker by your post your saying have two is less efficient? So If thts the case call Brian at bts and tell him he's stupid for running two res with his pump setup.

You clearly can't read... don't know me...and should keep comments like that to your self...oh and FYI have you ever measured temps on a bts res.. you might be surprised..I will post later phone typing sucks