Cutting and welding two HPOP res together

Big Bore

Reaction score
Ok so I went down and pulled out a spare SD reservoir I was planning to use to mock some stuff up. The top and bottom gasket are completely different so just stacking is not even remotely possible. Cutting and welding is a very bad idea now that I look at it because there is no way you would get everything sealed properly inside and out.

Cutting the bottom off and having a groove machined just like the top is going to be the best way. I'm going to take it to a machinist and see what it might cost to have the groove milled, or I might see if a buddy who has a mill would let me do it, its pretty simple really. That would increase the capacity considerably.

Also, I figured out the best place to do the machining would be above the holes for the fuel bowl bolts since there is a block off right above where they go through the reservoir.

Took pics but for some reason emailing them to myself didn't work and I'm too tired to figure it out tonight.

Oh, and milling it out on the inside is definitely not a possibility there just is no extra material there IMO.

Wackerjr

Reaction score
Interested in this BTS temp data.

Tom I will never divulge any info about that company....sorry... to good of peeps.

hot rod is that number all 8 injects? and at what RPM/PW? all that plays into it...

Tom S

Reaction score
Tom I will never divulge any info about that company....sorry... to good of peeps.

hot rod is that number all 8 injects? and at what RPM/PW? all that plays into it...

No problem because I agree.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Big Bore, if you are going to go through all that, why not make one huge custom one with alot less gaskets that could leak if it isnt perfect. If i had the means to make one and machine everything i would just make a single large unit that had roughly the same stuff, and have less worries then trying to get two to fit together. And just think if it worked and wasnt to painful you could make a bunch and sell them to us.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Wacker by your post your saying have two is less efficient? So If thts the case call Brian at bts and tell him he's stupid for running two res with his pump setup.

OMG... Cant...... Stop....... Laughing... LOL

Jeremy, forgive him... for he does not know

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Big Bore,

you miss understand what I was getting at. That is to have a separate stage where the oil could go that would allow the air to sep from the oil at the top and would have the output then going into the main res from the bottom. It would also drop temp. Point being not to loose that volume to the pan where the LPOP has to feed it back to the res thru its same pathways. But then a different LPOP would take care of all of this, examples of a type HTR had posted a pick of.

Wackerjr,

If you read my comments you would see I was not talking about current widely used injectors. In fact I was very specific about that. HRT versions were one specific example of what I was referring to.

Posted by TARM:

If we go to injectors that can effectively use more oil and can handle more pressure we are going to have to address the LPOP's performance

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

That is a 2ms injection event - I could unleash that kind of fuel delivery starting as low as 3000-3500 RPMs - where the LPOP doesn't stand a chance - now at say 5000 RPMs - the LPOP might start to think about it.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Big Bore, if you are going to go through all that, why not make one huge custom one with alot less gaskets that could leak if it isnt perfect. If i had the means to make one and machine everything i would just make a single large unit that had roughly the same stuff, and have less worries then trying to get two to fit together. And just think if it worked and wasnt to painful you could make a bunch and sell them to us.

Machining a groove in a piece I already own is not really very much work at all, maybe 1/10th of the work, and I'm not positive but I think a CNC tool head could be setup to do the job simply by tracing the groove in the res cap. Just the setup alone to make an entire reservoir with the proper vents and drainbacks would be very costly, whereas setting up a mill to machine a groove is childs play in comparison. I have a limited machinist background, but my brother is a machinist, I'm going to call him today about this.

I thought about this some more, the top of the lower reservoir may need machining for what I think is a vent, and the drain back/overflow, however the lower surface is flat anyway, so taking off 0.250 so those galleries can continue up through the upper res section is an easy fix. I think.

As far as selling, there would be a pretty limited market for a completely new reservoir. The part would be extremely expensive. It would be much cheaper for someone to send me a couple reservoirs to have machined, and buy a set of longer bolts.

One last thing, someone earlier mentioned using the res as a source for oil to an atmo turbo. I think this is a bad idea. Because the reservoir is designed with an overflow feature, I don't believe it even has engine lube pressure. I would at least want engine lube pressure to those bearings.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Big Bore,

you miss understand what I was getting at. That is to have a separate stage where the oil could go that would allow the air to sep from the oil at the top and would have the output then going into the main res from the bottom. It would also drop temp. Point being not to loose that volume to the pan where the LPOP has to feed it back to the res thru its same pathways. But then a different LPOP would take care of all of this, examples of a type HTR had posted a pick of.

Ok, went back and read your last post and I'm following you. Almost a semi isolated oil system for the pumps. What I don't like is having to have a second LPO. What I do like is the idea of letting the oil settle and cool before being put back into the system. However wont it do that on its way to, and in, the pan?

If I return the oil from the pumps into the block at the OBS pump hole, then by the time it works down to the pan and into the pan oil, it seems it would have plenty of time to settle before making it down to the pickup.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Machining a groove in a piece I already own is not really very much work at all, maybe 1/10th of the work, and I'm not positive but I think a CNC tool head could be setup to do the job simply by tracing the groove in the res cap. Just the setup alone to make an entire reservoir with the proper vents and drainbacks would be very costly, whereas setting up a mill to machine a groove is childs play in comparison. I have a limited machinist background, but my brother is a machinist, I'm going to call him today about this.

I thought about this some more, the top of the lower reservoir may need machining for what I think is a vent, and the drain back/overflow, however the lower surface is flat anyway, so taking off 0.250 so those galleries can continue up through the upper res section is an easy fix. I think.

As far as selling, there would be a pretty limited market for a completely new reservoir. The part would be extremely expensive. It would be much cheaper for someone to send me a couple reservoirs to have machined, and buy a set of longer bolts.

One last thing, someone earlier mentioned using the res as a source for oil to an atmo turbo. I think this is a bad idea. Because the reservoir is designed with an overflow feature, I don't believe it even has engine lube pressure. I would at least want engine lube pressure to those bearings.

Im not completly sure how it works, but it does have pressure in it, that is where the factory oil pressure sensor is, and where my aftermarket sender is too...

Big Bore

Reaction score
Im not completly sure how it works, but it does have pressure in it, that is where the factory oil pressure sensor is, and where my aftermarket sender is too...

I thought that was the oil temp sensor? I defer to you on that one. In any event, using it to feed turbo bearings seems counterproductive to what I'm trying to accomplish.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I thought that was the oil temp sensor? I defer to you on that one. In any event, using it to feed turbo bearings seems counterproductive to what I'm trying to accomplish.

Oil Pressure is on the top, Oil temp is down low on the drivers side of the res...

Big Bore

Reaction score
Here are the pictures I took yesterday of the reservoir and gaskets.

Gaskets and top cover showing the groove that would need to be machined in the upper reservoir piece after cutting the bottom off.
iphone_pics_707.jpg

Top of reservoir
iphone_pics_711.jpg

Bottom of reservoir showing a baffle for the holes that the bolts for the fuel bowl to pass through. Been wondering if the lower reservoir piece in a stacked setup couldn't be machined on the top to expose them to the reservoir and threaded for for oil supply ports.
http://powerstrokearmy.com/photopost/data/500/medium/iphone_pics_708.JPG

Last edited:

Big Bore

Reaction score
Ok, I've come full circle. After looking some more at the reservoirs and what I want to do, there are too many issues trying to make stacking two reservoirs work. I'm just going to buy a Dieselsite adapter.

Latest posts

Members online