Dallas @ HSM: Single Cab 6.7

4EverBoosted1

Reaction score
I might just wait then. I'm not in a big hurry to do anything suspension wise other than getting a set of CalTracs on this thing so it will actually launch half decent and do rolling burnouts without feeling like you're bucking along I-70 through Colorado (worst road I have ever been on).

I have heard bad things about caltracs.. I used OUO bars on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
CalTracs seem to have a bad following with the 4wd guys. I have used them in multiple 2wd applications and love them. I'm really not a fan of long traction bars either for some reason. Just personal taste I guess.

Kind

Reaction score
I might just wait then. I'm not in a big hurry to do anything suspension wise other than getting a set of CalTracs on this thing so it will actually launch half decent and do rolling burnouts without feeling like you're bucking along I-70 through Colorado (worst road I have ever been on).

You won't be doing rolling burnouts. If it's set up right you'll be lucky if the tires break loose much past second gear. Now if you do a brake stand then yeah you'll roast them.

I have heard bad things about caltracs.. I used OUO bars on mine.

I've heard that too. Never been an experience of mine or any other truck I have personally seen and talked with the owner that uses them.

Kind

Reaction score
CalTracs seem to have a bad following with the 4wd guys. I have used them in multiple 2wd applications and love them. I'm really not a fan of long traction bars either for some reason. Just personal taste I guess.

That isn't a rule of thumb tho. I've seen a 10 second 4wd short box 6.4 get consistent 1.5's. I have also seen a 1000hp 4wd quad cab 5.9 long box dually launch great at the 1/4 mile and pull sleds really well with caltracs.

Last edited:

swinky

Reaction score
That isn't a rule of thumb tho. I've seen a 10 second 4wd short box 6.4 get consistent 1.5's. I have also seen a 1000hp 4wd quad cab 5.9 long box dually launch great at the 1/4 mile and pull sleds really well with caltracs.
Agreed. I can't figure mine out though. The axle is wrapping too much and making the cal tracs work too hard. I need new U bolts.

Reaction score
Agreed. I can't figure mine out though. The axle is wrapping too much and making the cal tracs work too hard. I need new U bolts.

I think this may be an issue that a lot of people are running into. It takes some practice setting up a CalTrac system. I have been running them on race cars for almost 15 years now and I admit that it's not something you just throw on. I really think that where guys get in trouble is they try to pre-load them too much. On most applications I deal with, I like to start by turning the bar until the stop just touches the spring and then give it 1-2 flats pre-load. I hear guys saying they put 3-4 FULL TURNS on theirs. I can definitely see why they are having issues. My 1-2 flats is just a baseline and then I will adjust from there.

swinky

Reaction score
I think this may be an issue that a lot of people are running into. It takes some practice setting up a CalTrac system. I have been running them on race cars for almost 15 years now and I admit that it's not something you just throw on. I really think that where guys get in trouble is they try to pre-load them too much. On most applications I deal with, I like to start by turning the bar until the stop just touches the spring and then give it 1-2 flats pre-load. I hear guys saying they put 3-4 FULL TURNS on theirs. I can definitely see why they are having issues. My 1-2 flats is just a baseline and then I will adjust from there.
Mine hops wayyyy bad with less pre load.

I'm getting too much axle wrap and it's just making the bar work too hard. The U bolts that come with the cal tracs are less than impressive. I'm having to run 3 full turns to keep the truck from bouncing like crazy.

bft blue oval boys

Reaction score
I can vouche for Swink. He smacked it one day when I was riding with him and the ass end let the ground multiple times. You could even see in the tire marks where it left the ground lol. Not to mention it rides like a hay wagon.

devdiesel

Reaction score
With my Caltracs set at zero preload just touching the springs I was able to cut consistent 1.8 60's. Tracks dead straight with zero hop. Keep in mid this is with only a 1200 rpm lauch in a 2wd shorty. With a looser converter it will launch better I'm sure

swinky

Reaction score
With my Caltracs set at zero preload just touching the springs I was able to cut consistent 1.8 60's. Tracks dead straight with zero hop. Keep in mid this is with only a 1200 rpm lauch in a 2wd shorty. With a looser converter it will launch better I'm sure

Using the sad excuse of a U bolt included in the kit?

devdiesel

Reaction score
You mean the ubolts supplied with the Caltracs? No I had a local spring shop make me a set because of the lowering flip kit, the ubolts supplied were to long... My pinion angle was set at 4 degrees and hasn't moved

Kind

Reaction score
You mean the ubolts supplied with the Caltracs? No I had a local spring shop make me a set because of the lowering flip kit, the ubolts supplied were to long... My pinion angle was set at 4 degrees and hasn't moved

You meant to say -4 degrees right? Hahaha

Kind

Reaction score
Trans is 4 degrees down, diff is 4 degrees up. It's happy up to 118 mph so far

As long as your pinion angle is negative in relation to your driveline angle. If you are negative 2* or closer to positive you'll want to adjust it so you don't over stress the u-joints. It will also maximize the leverage if your caltracs... Or any traction bar.

Latest posts

Members online