Done mourning!!!

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
That's crazy. How's a guy supposed to move on and get a new truck?

Made it home. Long day. Gone by 5am and home by 8pm. Truck rides fantastic considering its heavy suspension. Got 12.9mpg hand calculated at 70-72mph with 2300rpm. I dont miss the regens and laggy tip in at all however the truck is quiet snappy. 4.30 ratio definitely keeps it in the power band.

First mods on the list will be studs, tunes, and a gear vendor OD. Gotta get my mileage back up.

Pics.
Project "Tug it"
chariot.jpg
Wifes car and project "Tug it"
papa and mama.jpg
Need HID's
night.jpg

Last edited:

davey99ps

Reaction score
Your last truck was sick an definitely 1 of a kind, but your new 1 has been my dream truck ever since I saw 1 in the brochures. I love the looks of a lifted dually. Can't wait to see how this 1 turns out

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Not sure if the truck will be going up in the air. If it does it might be on bags so I can have stock ride height for normal driving and trailer towing and then lift it up a bit when it gets muddy at work.

Dave

Reaction score
Congrats on the new ride bro!! Sick for sure!!

Your already getting paid by insurance? Damn, my 450 was stolen August 20th, reported stolen that day and made an insurance claim at the same time. I still haven't found out how much or when I'm getting paid. Guess they're lazy down here :shrug:

Damn Scotty who's your insurance through? Mine never takes more than 3 days to pay out.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
How much you plan on towing. I have thought about a gear vendors for a while but keep getting told that you cant tow in OD, can compression brake in OD. Basically the OD is just for unloaded, which I dont do too much.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I'm mostly unloaded. I pull 10K every other day short distances but I want to keep factory gearing for when I pull my fifth wheel. The truck and trailer will gross 25,000lbs or a little better.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Good luck with this truck ffed! That sumbitch is BA. If you guys would stop buying awesome shti like this Id stop thinking I need something newer/better.

TyCorr

Reaction score
How much you plan on towing. I have thought about a gear vendors for a while but keep getting told that you cant tow in OD, can compression brake in OD. Basically the OD is just for unloaded, which I dont do too much.

Im not saying anything here but just thinking out loud, but you would think that with stock trannys being rebuilt and clutches added to allow towing in od that something like this, gearvendors od, would be designed to work like you described. Especially if they know its going into a f450/550.

Them 450's are friggin awesome rides man.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
the OD is for mileage. With the gear reduction in 5th main and the OD on the gear vendor. You would never be in the power band and working the engine much harder to pull loads. Im sure it can handle the hp and torque but it would be a step back i think. Use the direct drive to tow, and OD for when unloaded. The benefits of 4.30 gears and the range of 3:73's in one package.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
The issue with the gear vendors is you cant have it engaged if you weigh more than 30k pounds. If your at 2300 rpm now the gear vendors will knock 400 rpm off when engaged putting you at 1900 which would probably get pretty decent mileage.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
Can you pm me some real world info on it? Ive been to the web site but it would be nice to hear from someone with experience with it.

It will still work 4x4 too correct?

TyCorr

Reaction score
the OD is for mileage. With the gear reduction in 5th main and the OD on the gear vendor. You would never be in the power band and working the engine much harder to pull loads. Im sure it can handle the hp and torque but it would be a step back i think. Use the direct drive to tow, and OD for when unloaded. The benefits of 4.30 gears and the range of 3:73's in one package.

I got ya. But once you got the load rolling wouldnt it be nice to be able to get a little better mileage? Yer right but it might not work either. I just know people have been adding clutches in the 4&5speed transmissions to allow towing to take place in od, w/o burning up the od.

God, I cant get over how comfy and solid that 450 looks!! Im veeery jealous of ya!

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Since the gearvendors is mounted on the back of the t-case you can't use it in 4x4 since it would be different ratios. You also can't use them while an exhaust brake is on coasting down a hill. The box comes with lock outs on it to protect itself so when you engage 4x4 or an exhaust brake it automatically turns off.

They are nice to use for the mileage gains and have been very durable for us so far. The main failures we have seen on them is from lack of maintnance and one manual trans truck that was shifting the gear vendors between every shift.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Im not saying anything here but just thinking out loud, but you would think that with stock trannys being rebuilt and clutches added to allow towing in od that something like this, gearvendors od, would be designed to work like you described. Especially if they know its going into a f450/550.

Them 450's are friggin awesome rides man.

I was not talking about not towing in OD in the truck tranny, the Gear Vendors being in OD. These trucks are built to tow in OD, most of them are now minus the 1/2 tons and such. Which can be built too also.

I am just going off of what I have read on the net when I was looking into them. I know they say 30,000# GCWR, but was also told that the clutches will burn up if you tired to tow with with the Gear Vendors in OD and loaded or the truck compression braking at all.
I dont drive the truck that much unloaded to justify the cost of the overdrive.

Can you pm me some real world info on it? Ive been to the web site but it would be nice to hear from someone with experience with it.

It will still work 4x4 too correct?

Not by what I have been told because it mounts on to the tail shaft, not before the transfer case. unless they changed it in the last couple of years.

I got ya. But once you got the load rolling wouldnt it be nice to be able to get a little better mileage? Yer right but it might not work either. I just know people have been adding clutches in the 4&5speed transmissions to allow towing to take place in od, w/o burning up the od.

God, I cant get over how comfy and solid that 450 looks!! Im veeery jealous of ya!

The 450's are nice, but the gearing does suck unloaded, but loaded the gearing really helps.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The 450's are nice, but the gearing does suck unloaded, but loaded the gearing really helps.

Are there only two axle ratios available? The 4.30 and 4.88?

I dont tow enough, other than at work, to have a 450. Problem is, my boss is friends with the guy who owns the chevy dealer so i get dmaxes for that. I asked for a 6.7 when I got a new truck last fall and they said "No, we've got a couple of shorter guys and they wont be able to get into the tool boxes." Im not sure if that was the truth or not.

The recovery guy that bring us out material has a f450, 6.4 and he said its the best truck he's ever had.

BFD99

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a plan going man, I love the HD F450. Good luck with the build. I'm glad you got over it quickly, as much as we get attached to these trucks, in the end, it is just a truck and can be replaced!

Latest posts

Members online