Done mourning!!!

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
You will love the Tow Power Xs. Best of both worlds, as far as I can tell, of the Tow Powers, and the High Powers. Super quick spool up, and lots of air in the meat of its RPM band too.

Mine made 680 on stock fuel, and I would say that with some more fuel, 700-750 is more than feasible. I love my Harley Davidson Edition 250, and wish that I could find a 350 or 450 DRW to handle my towing needs, so I could play harder with my SRW truck. And, if I could find an HD version of either, I would launch at it without so much as a thought! lol!

Mine tows 16,000 pounds with no problems, with 35.5 inch tires, and 4.10:1 gears. if you are running 4.30:1, and upping the tire diameter, you might not need the over drive. But if you have the 4.88s, you might consider dropping to 4.10s.... Cheaper than an over drive unit, that you can only engage when the moons are properly aligned....

tbsimmons

Reaction score
But if you have the 4.88s, you might consider dropping to 4.10s.... Cheaper than an over drive unit, that you can only engage when the moons are properly aligned....

You would be shocked what the price is for gears in the 450 rear end. Not cheap.

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
Is it not a D80? I swapped the gears in my 450 and it wasn't bad at all. Good luck with the build buddy! I have a soft spot for the 08-10 450's

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Beautiful truck for sure, hope it works out well for you!

Is it not a D80? I swapped the gears in my 450 and it wasn't bad at all. Good luck with the build buddy! I have a soft spot for the 08-10 450's

I was surprised that you didn't get a 6.4 f450, if Kelly ends up with your new ride it makes sense though.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
How much you plan on towing. I have thought about a gear vendors for a while but keep getting told that you cant tow in OD, can compression brake in OD. Basically the OD is just for unloaded, which I dont do too much.

If you have enough power you can tow in double OD. I do it all the time in my 450 towing 20,000. 4th gear with the od engaged is a hill pulling gear. And why would commpression brake in overdrive? Anyway i think my friend has one he pulled from his 450 that he would make you a great deal on.

Last edited:

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
I like them. As long as you keep up on the mantenance and keep fresh oil in them they will last a long time.

Agreed. I try to change mine every 10,000. I have about 80,000 on my od unit and our other truck has about 140,000. Changed a couple of speedo cables caused by our oversized tanks. Other than that they have been great. It is a little tricky to shift them with the auto but once you get it figured out its all good.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Since both of the lasts post have them, a few questions.
Can I tow 18000# with the GV in OD?
Can I compression brake at all with it in OD?

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Since both of the lasts post have them, a few questions.
Can I tow 18000# with the GV in OD?
Can I compression brake at all with it in OD?

I tow 20,000. Didnt do great on stock turbos but It did with the cheap II turbos. Its not even a problem with the tow x set up. Of corse I have 4.30. Our other truck has 4.88 and it did fine on stock trubos and 15,000.

On compressing braking... No! Why would you want to try and brake in double overdrive. Its pointless and it will burn the band up.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I am not saying compression a lot but I have a lot of rolling hills around here and the truck will sometimes down shift and brake on me if I dont catch it quick enough.

Thanks. Got me thinking now.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
Depending on the size of the hills I just let it coast down. I keep my foot on the throttle to keep the trans from downshifting . If there steep and your heavy you will lose some speed on the upside. Let the trailer push you back up to speed on the downside. You can always shift it out if the trailer begins to push to hard. Rolling hills can suck.

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Like heavy haul said that much weight wont affect it as long as you have the power to pull through double over drive. when a truck has an exhaust brake we wire it into a lockout on the box. so when you activate your brake it automatically disengages. Then when you turn the brake off at the bottom of the hill it will automatically reengage. Hope this explains it a little better.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
You will love the truck. They are great, but can get a little stiff in the back sometimes. They will pull a lot of weight over some steep hills.
I love mine.

Latest posts

Members online