DP Tuner

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I spoke with James from DP Tuner, sent him an e-mail explaining what I'd like from my truck which is simply a bit more "vroom vroom" on take off with no real need for towing but possibly a regular trailer every once in a while meaning not a gooseneck. He sent me this in return, a suggestion for which tuner to get and which setting. I'm a bit confused with it all, would like to get some of you guy's thoughts and opinions. I'm assuming the truck will have a bit more power?

My truck has shift kit and a K @ N air filter. Here's his reply to myself:

Here is my recommendation:

$199.95 F5 CHIP

$40.00 EX LED SWITCH

$0.00 POS 0= NO START

$0.00 POS 1= STOCK

$50.00 POS 2= 60HP or 80HP ECONOMY DAILY DRIVER FOR FUEL MILEAGE (NON TOWING) 60 is better for highway driving and 80 is better for stop and go traffic or do both as most people do. I run both of them and you should consider both but the 60 will be great for highway runs.

$50.00 POS 3= 60HP TOW TUNE (UP TO 13K IN WEIGHT)

$50.00 POS 4= 100HP TUNE

You can see all of the tunes on the website but this is the basics of what you need and will do what you need and do it well. You can also get a lot of info and look at more tunes here http://www.dp-tuner.com/kbase

NO START- This program allows you to turn the switch to the zero position, remove the fob switch and take it with you and the truck cannot be started at all. Security feature and it is free.

STOCK TUNE- This is just your stock tune to have if you need it and it is free

HI IDLE- This raises the rpms to a set level and holds them for faster warms ups, jump starting, running a winch and so on. Works really good on cold mornings, set it and walk away. ($25)

ECONOMY PROGRAM- Daily driver, non-towing program, increased fuel economy and improved driveability

TOW PROGRAM- Set up for towing for improved towing performance and increased torque and hp. Jody alters transmission shift points, torque converter lockup, lines pressures, etc.

PERFORMANCE PROGRAMS- 100, 120 and 140hp tunes for maximum performance.

We have 2 different chip options

F5 holds 16 tunes total

F6 holds 16 tunes total

F5 has an LED push button switch

F6 has an LED push button switch

F5 holds our programs only

F6 holds our programs only

F6 you can have tunes emailed to you and you can update them, change them without removing the chip. You can also trial tunes via email for 10 key cycles prior to buying them

F5 you have to remove the chip and ship it back to us if you want to add programs or modify them.

F5 and EX switch LED = $239.95

F6 and EX switch LED = $439.95

After the above costs, you purchase each tune individually and prices of each tune are on our website.

If you decide to order there are a couple of things we need.

Go to the Website and click on Register or Log In at the top

Create an account by entering email and password info and then go in and fill out Billing Info and Shipping Info and make sure the billing address you enter matched the credit card you will be using.

You will now be logged in under your name and account info.

At the top you will see "My Vehicle"

Click on My Vehicle and fill out the vehicle info form.

We will need your PCM code to accurately provide you with the correct programming.

You can go to the website and look under KNOWLEDGE BASE for info on how to find your pcm code and make sure you look at the install instructions also as this may help you in finding the PCM code.

Once that is done and saved, you are ready to order online or on the phone with me or I can enter all the info for you if you know your PCM code.

Click on the chip you want and you will see the drop down menus for each position number and there you select the tunes you want and hit add to cart and checkout or you can add to cart and from there the order can be completed over the phone with me.

Let me know what you need from here.

JDub

Reaction score
You're welcome to give us a call anytime tomorrow and we'd be happy to spend some time with you talking you through the options and get you setup with a chip to fill your needs.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Thanks, I will be calling you guys as I definitely want one, I'm thinking right now the F5. I'm slightly embarrassed now that you guys are on here and I just posted that. Sorry if I shouldn't have, I just am new to the diesel game and need to know what I'm getting into to. Pretty much I want more, well, vroom vroom and better mileage but I don't want to mess up the truck is it, like blow a tranny or something.

Will this tuner hurt anything? Thanks again.

MossBack

Reaction score
Will this tuner hurt anything? Thanks again.

Tuner won't, heavy right foot will.

I always recommend any and ALL maintenance is taken care of and a minimum of quality synthetic oils.

Then gauges, intake and exhaust then chip.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Give Jacob a call. Your in good hands, and ask away. Ive personally delt with Jacob at his last venture and dont have a bad thing to say about him. Same goes for Jody and Diane. Although I only ran their tunes for a short time the customer service is second to none with them.

And with that chip I would strongly recommend the bare minimum of a trans temp and pyrometer just to monitor your investments vital signs if you will. The 250$ for those 2 gauges could save you thousands.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What gauges and why? Tomorrow I'm having the front end worked on and having an oil change. The shop, a specialty Powerstroke diesel shop, will be using the regular Ford Motorcraft diesel oil. Is there something better you can recommend in the way of oil? I'll ask them to use it if it's a significant protection, especially if it'll help with a tuner.

Thanks.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Give Jacob a call. Your in good hands, and ask away. Ive personally delt with Jacob at his last venture and dont have a bad thing to say about him. Same goes for Jody and Diane. Although I only ran their tunes for a short time the customer service is second to none with them.

And with that chip I would strongly recommend the bare minimum of a trans temp and pyrometer just to monitor your investments vital signs if you will. The 250$ for those 2 gauges could save you thousands.

This is what I was not wanting to have to happen, purchase this and that to assist with this and that purchase and end up having enough in this truck to buy another one entirely or invest more into it than the truck is worth.

I'll ask the mechanic tomorrow about all of this, see what he says as well.

Now I'm having second thoughts, but thanks for the insight. Like I said, I have a lot to learn about owning a diesel.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
If your worried about spending a few bucks to monitor the engine and trans then leave it stock.

A pyrometer is a must once you start dumping more fuel in (ie a chip) Your cylinder temps can exceed the safe limits of "stock" and if held there too long can melt internal motor parts.

The trans temp is optional, but its a good thing to have to keep an eye on the 2nd most expensive part in the truck.

I wouldnt be worried about much anything else with just a chip. I mean a 50$ boost gauge on top of it is more for the fun of watching it move, but can still be helpful.

Call Jacob tomorrow and discuss it with him. i garuntee youll be sold on a chip, and once installed youll be tickled pink with your purchase.

MossBack

Reaction score
Gauges would be the performax if I had to do again or the money for it. I have had great luck with the autometers. Pyro was in truck in 2007 I added boost and trans in 08 along with chip. No problem so far... oil at least the Ford motorcraft is semi synthetic I prefer AMSOIL as I get wholesale and my truck idles smoother and runs better. ( I have had to do a Mobil change as I was tight on money after 15k of AMSOIL then back to Mobil I have been fixing leaks like crazy.) 15 k before was leak free. Then I switched oil and lost fuel pump, then o rings on Turbo then valve covers which better be last. Because I'm losing trans again but 50k miles on a aamco rebuild seems bout right.

Long story short fix the easy things before added power shows the problems you have

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not worried about it, just wasn't prepared for it. It's catching me off guard a little bit. Pretty much with all the other money I've already put into the truck and was planning on putting into it I'm about tapped out, the tuner and now the guages will have to be put on hold.

Thanks.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Gauges would be the performax if I had to do again or the money for it. I have had great luck with the autometers. Pyro was in truck in 2007 I added boost and trans in 08 along with chip. No problem so far... oil at least the Ford motorcraft is semi synthetic I prefer AMSOIL as I get wholesale and my truck idles smoother and runs better. ( I have had to do a Mobil change as I was tight on money after 15k of AMSOIL then back to Mobil I have been fixing leaks like crazy.) 15 k before was leak free. Then I switched oil and lost fuel pump, then o rings on Turbo then valve covers which better be last. Because I'm losing trans again but 50k miles on a aamco rebuild seems bout right.

Long story short fix the easy things before added power shows the problems you have

She doesn't leak so far, but excellent advice. Tomorrow she's getting new shocks and if needed sway bar links and bushings (front end clunks over bumps in the road) and an oil change and alignment. Last week was brand new tires all the way around and two new batteries.

I'll ask the mechanic to give her a thorough once over. Thanks.

alwil

Reaction score
This is what I was not wanting to have to happen, purchase this and that to assist with this and that purchase and end up having enough in this truck to buy another one entirely or invest more into it than the truck is worth.

Whats the point in worrying about it, you might as well make it the way you want it while you have it cause you likely wont brake even when you do want to sell it, a vehicle is only worth as much as you think its worth and if you dont think that your truck is worth $1500 worth of mods then maybe you bought the wrong truck.....or maybe your just not into the hot rodding part of it.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Whats the point in worrying about it, you might as well make it the way you want it while you have it cause you likely wont brake even when you do want to sell it, a vehicle is only worth as much as you think its worth and if you dont think that your truck is worth $1500 worth of mods then maybe you bought the wrong truck.....or maybe your just not into the hot rodding part of it.

Pretty sure I got the world's best deal on this truck. 2001 F250 Super Cab 7.3 Turbo Diesel ,137k miles. A/c, power windows, tint, Rawson Koenig tool box, K @ N air filter, ugraded running boards and mirrors, shift kit.

KBB value in fair condition, fair being the lowest value offered on a used vehicle, is $8200-ish. She's easily in Good to Excellent condition.

I paid $5400.00 cash. I could sell her as is right now for $8000.00 as is and buy something else, but I'm already emotionally attached. I love this truck.

I only need her to be continually reliable. If that means not installing a tuner than so be it, she's still bad ass.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Here's a few pics. Clean as a whistle!

CIMG0167.jpg

CIMG0166.jpg

CIMG0162.jpg

CIMG0173.jpg

CIMG0189.jpg

CIMG0183.jpg

CIMG0202.jpg

CIMG0272.jpg

CIMG0281.jpg

alwil

Reaction score
Pretty sure I got the world's best deal on this truck. 2001 F250 Super Cab 7.3 Turbo Diesel ,137k miles. A/c, power windows, tint, Rawson Koenig tool box, K @ N air filter, ugraded running boards and mirrors, shift kit.

KBB value in fair condition, fair being the lowest value offered on a used vehicle, is $8200-ish. She's easily in Good to Excellent condition.

I paid $5400.00 cash. I could sell her as is right now for $8000.00 as is and buy something else, but I'm already emotionally attached. I love this truck.

I only need her to be continually reliable. If that means not installing a tuner than so be it, she's still bad ass.

That is a good deal......beware though modding is like smoking cigaretts once you start its really hard to stop. When I started I wanted a tuner just to help with MPGs.....now I have a list of things I have added and am presently planning on another $3000 purchace in the next week or so.
If you do happen to buy the chip be prepaired to love your truck even more.....cause you will.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If you do happen to buy the chip be prepaired to love your truck even more.....cause you will.

That's what I've heard. I guess I just need to have some money saved up to do it right from the get go. I'll worry about the tuner in a few weeks, research it some more and get a good feel as for what all I'll need and how much it'll take to have it done right.

Thanks.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Here's a few pics. Clean as a whistle!
QUOTE]

That truck is in really good shape, I am not totally sure but it looks like you have 08+ mirrors on it...

Yup yup. Seller has (had?) four Ford diesels and a few new sports cars. Wife told him to get rid of a few, quick.

He likes to upgrade all his vehicles, said he installed the newer mirrors and running boards himself. He said 2010 but someone else also said 2008. Whatever they are, beats the '01's by far.

Alright, I'm out. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Latest posts

Members online