DP Tuner

Tom S

Reaction score
I bet your truck has had a chip or tuner on it before with an intake installed.

average

Reaction score
You'll be grinning ear to ear after adding the tuner to your truck, it made a night and day difference in mine before the injectors.

KPSquared

Reaction score
You won't regret the tuner. . .

Just buy the F5, put the 100HP tune on it, get gauges, and lose the K&N. BHAF is cheap and easy stock air flow upgrade. (search. . .it's all there)

You're not going to see mileage gains for a long, long, time. . .maybe ever. This is mostly because of the giant retard grin you'll get every time you hit the throttle, which will make you hit it more. . .

I drive around 99% of the time in the 80e tune. I love it.

I use the 60 when I tow heavy just because I love the shifting.

You gotta pay to play though. . .I have less into my truck than a lot of guys but it still was far from cheap.

Beauty stock truck though. ..that thing is clean.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

Just buy the F5, put the 100HP tune on it, get gauges, and lose the K&N. BHAF is cheap and easy stock air flow upgrade. (search. . .it's all there)

You're not going to see mileage gains for a long, long, time. . .maybe ever. This is mostly because of the giant retard grin you'll get every time you hit the throttle, which will make you hit it more. . .

You gotta pay to play though. . .I have less into my truck than a lot of guys but it still was far from cheap.

Retard grin, priceless! I've already got one and I don't even have the tuner!! :fordoval:

I just came back from Powerstroke Magic, had the truck checked out and an oil change done. He was too busy to work on it today, but after taking her for a spin he said the transmission is fine, the sway link bushing are fine and he even went as far as to say the shocks are still good. I'm having the new Monroe Reflex's put on the front end at 4 this afternoOn today regardless.

Anyways, no leaks, gave it the two thumbs up and talked about a tuner and leveling kit. He can install all the gauges and some programmer (not just the chip) for around a grand, the programmer being something like $350 and adds 140 hp. I don't think I need that much nor do I really want to spend that much. I'll be buying DP.

I have some generic leveling lug nut looking things mounted in the front springs which is the clunk, nothing else. Keeps getting better and better!!

Life is goOd. Now to find my PCM codes..

Thanks.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
I just want to throw in that I've had my DP F5 for 5 years now and it has pretty much never left the 120 tune. Stock trans is still going strong. As reliable as I could ever ask for.

I drive stock 7.3's from time to time and I can't understand why someone wouldn't have a tuner of some sort. They are so much easier to drive tuned IMO.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I just want to throw in that I've had my DP F5 for 5 years now and it has pretty much never left the 120 tune. Stock trans is still going strong. As reliable as I could ever ask for.

I drive stock 7.3's from time to time and I can't understand why someone wouldn't have a tuner of some sort. They are so much easier to drive tuned IMO.

Thanks, that helps in the decision making. I'll be getting one, no worries.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

Is there a better place for the gauges than on the ape hanger (I think that's what it's called) side bar? I hate that lOok.

I was watching some Youtube videos on the installation, saw a single gauge holder for the digital DP display that wrapped the steering column. Anything like that for these extra gauges?

Thanks.

JDub

Reaction score
We have an assortment of mounting pods available for your EGT, Trans, and Boost gauges. Besides the standard A-pillar pod, we have a windshield pod that mounts them above the rear view mirror, the single pod for the steering column, and a three gauge cubby pod that mounts them below the dash.

Let us know if we can help, can put together a package with the tuner and gauges.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
We have an assortment of mounting pods available for your EGT, Trans, and Boost gauges. Besides the standard A-pillar pod, we have a windshield pod that mounts them above the rear view mirror, the single pod for the steering column, and a three gauge cubby pod that mounts them below the dash.

Let us know if we can help, can put together a package with the tuner and gauges.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
Oh I know.. Im just saying, why do they offer 16 Pos.... I mean how many actually use even half of those.

The only benefit I could see would be tuning tweaks over the phone. Jody could send a number of files to try to get 1-2 tunes completely dialed.

And I dont have to count, Cale gave me a purdy lil sticker the 1-6 :D

MossBack

Reaction score
Oh I know.. Im just saying, why do they offer 16 Pos.... I mean how many actually use even half of those.

The only benefit I could see would be tuning tweaks over the phone. Jody could send a number of files to try to get 1-2 tunes completely dialed.

Nice. I did a install on a 2002 and was pissed when the rotary switch came and no way to tell which one other then starting from the beginning. It was for my roommate and I had to tease him anyways although his 140 tune would leave me but my 100 would spank his 120.

In reality I wish I had live tunes and when my truck is how I want it I am getting it. Then I could see only having a couple as I only use my econo and performance.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Arisley

Reaction score

Could just be a hardware thing, they may have wanted more than 6 just for that reason. The guy that actually buiolds the chips may have said the next option from six would be sixteen.

BTW: I just cleaned this thread, no tuner wars on this one.

SeeYa

Reaction score

Could just be a hardware thing, they may have wanted more than 6 just for that reason. The guy that actually buiolds the chips may have said the next option from six would be sixteen.

BTW: I just cleaned this thread, no tuner wars on this one.

After 6 years on the market I am still shocked at the fact people don't understand how we ended up with 16 available positions. Like I've explained from the beginning...

Just to refresh some memories, we asked for 8 and it was determined by our manufacture the memory chips were not a huge difference for more memory. We don't make anyone get all 16 positions, but its there if its needed or wanted. Another reminder that during live tuning tunes are all inclusive with the cost of live tuning and that is when most everyone gets all available tunes they can load on their chip.

Diane

Arisley

Reaction score
Thanks Diane. Thought it was something like that.

Looks like James even recommended only four tunes and a no start. Long ways from sixteen. But he gets a chip that will hold up to sixteen for basically the same price that he would have paid for a 4 position chip.

Last edited:

OSCS

Reaction score
Gauges would be the performax if I had to do again or the money for it. I have had great luck with the autometers. Pyro was in truck in 2007 I added boost and trans in 08 along with chip. No problem so far... oil at least the Ford motorcraft is semi synthetic I prefer AMSOIL as I get wholesale and my truck idles smoother and runs better. ( I have had to do a Mobil change as I was tight on money after 15k of AMSOIL then back to Mobil I have been fixing leaks like crazy.) 15 k before was leak free. Then I switched oil and lost fuel pump, then o rings on Turbo then valve covers which better be last. Because I'm losing trans again but 50k miles on a aamco rebuild seems bout right.

Long story short fix the easy things before added power shows the problems you have

15k with the same motor oil? The same motor oil that is used to lubricate your engine is also compressed at over 3000 psi to fire your injectors. . After time and I mean long before 15k it starts to "break down" so says many tuners I've spoken with

I know synthetic is designed to combat issues like this but I would never go 15k on a HEUI system with any oil

I wouldnt worry about synthetic.. Change your oil every 3k with moto craft and you'll be fine. My truck is producing upwards of 500 rwhp and I've never had an issue

Last edited:

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
After 6 years on the market I am still shocked at the fact people don't understand how we ended up with 16 available positions. Like I've explained from the beginning...

Just to refresh some memories, we asked for 8 and it was determined by our manufacture the memory chips were not a huge difference for more memory. We don't make anyone get all 16 positions, but its there if its needed or wanted. Another reminder that during live tuning tunes are all inclusive with the cost of live tuning and that is when most everyone gets all available tunes they can load on their chip.

Diane

Nice!! Another week or two and I'm in, thanks.

MossBack

Reaction score
15k with the same motor oil? The same motor oil that is used to lubricate your engine is also compressed at over 3000 psi to fire your injectors. . After time and I mean long before 15k it starts to "break down" so says many tuners I've spoken with

I know synthetic is designed to combat issues like this but I would never go 15k on a HEUI system with any oil

I wouldnt worry about synthetic.. Change your oil every 3k with moto craft and you'll be fine. My truck is producing upwards of 500 rwhp and I've never had an issue

I ran 15k I never said all at once. 5, 10, 15. After running that for a year and a half I switched back to delvac. That is just old thinking on the 3 k changes and if you want to do that fine do it.

Maybe there us a reason more and more OEM cars and trucks are coming out with recommended 10k change intervals as oil is being manufactured better and not breaking down.
Don't insult me with your knowledge because you have a 500 HP truck I could care less. I have done my research and tested as needed. Thanks

Last edited:

Arisley

Reaction score
Right there with you on the 3K oil changes. I shoot for 5K. Usually stretch it to 7 or 8K, been 10K once. Only 317K on the motor now, 125K since the first power adder mod. 65K since I have been at or near 500HP. All on Valvoline oil made from dead dinosaurs.

OSCS

Reaction score
I ran 15k I never said all at once. 5, 10, 15. After running that for a year and a half I switched back to delvac. That is just old thinking on the 3 k changes and if you want to do that fine do it.

Maybe there us a reason more and more OEM cars and trucks are coming out with recommended 10k change intervals as oil is being manufactured better and not breaking down.
Don't insult me with your knowledge because you have a 500 HP truck I could care less. I have done my research and tested as needed. Thanks

why are you insulted? IMO regular oil changes with moto craft are "safer" than your high mileage synetic practices. Take it easy!

Latest posts

Members online