DP Tuner

MossBack

Reaction score
why are you insulted? IMO regular oil changes with moto craft are "safer" than your high mileage synetic practices. Take it easy!

I look at it like you thought I was giving bad advice for suggesting high quality oil. The way I see it motorcraft oil ans filters is great for stock trucks. My first 5 were done at Ford as I had passes from when I bought my truck.

After I started reading and learning and doing my own work I learned about better parts.

I have learned and done everything the hard way and as I was trying to say in my posts. If I was cheap or neglected anything it cost me more later.

Like changing back and forth on oil. To buying cheaper parts just would dick me more in the end.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Maybe this will lighten the moOd, also why I'm holding off on the tuner at the moment, busy sinking money into getting her ready. I'm pretty sure the tuner would have caused my drive shaft to fall off. Luckily the mech who changed the differential gear fluid (75w 140 synthetic) today caught the u-joint issue.

New Monroe reflex shocks up front (stiff but all truck now), new outter tie rod ends, alignment, differential fluid and new gasket and cover seal.

IMG_20120605_145514-5.jpg

IMG_20120605_092028-4.jpg

IMG_20120605_102143-4.jpg

IMG_20120605_145549.jpg

He painted the cover black, looks much b etter than before.
IMG_20120605_145529.jpg

And my lunch today while waiting, red beans and rice. :)
IMG_20120605_123020.jpg

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The only way to eat red beans and rice, imo! Plus some hot sauce, that is.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Since we're on the subject of my truck anyways, I guess I can just ask here. I had new Moog outter tie rod ends installed today, the right (passenger) camber thingamajig replaced so it could be aligned properly and finally had it aligned. There is still quite a bit of play in the steering wheel before the wheels actually turn, maybe 2". I called the shop I had the work done at and I'm bringing it back for them to check out but the manager said that these older (2001) F250's have a notorious play in the steering column. Does that sound right to anyone?

I'm thinking my inner tie rods need replacing. They're not in the greatest of shape, grease leaking out of the rubber seals and when the mech grabbed them with his huge channel locks they moved fairly easily. I trusted the mech when he said it was all tight, though, after he was finished with the outter tie rods and alignment and test drove it.

Hmmppff.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Moog=junk. Buuuut you shouldnt be experiencing.slop thaaat quickly. I wouldnt use them again though. Moog.has.been selling.cheap parts.for.five years now. Tarm.recommended xrf for suspension and steering replacement parts.

Im pretty happy and.appreciative of your approach roadhouse. Get it serviced up good.before you add power. Just remember it isnt the power your truck.makes.that wears.it.out.its how you drive it.

As for oil, pick somebody you trust on here or elsewhere and if their useage is similar to yours, ask them what oil they use. I have been running.synthetic oil for two years. My first oil was mobil 1 synthetic.5w30 turbodiesel. It lasted.for.5k before I noticed the injectors acting.differently. I changed it.for the.first time in the winter and it.was.life changing for.me. I no longer needed to plug in the truck. It didnt jump and.lope when it was cold out. It.exacerbated some.leaks.but.whoopie. Ill fix them.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
The play in the wheel was what I was trying to have repaired in the first place, just turned out it was not the outter tie rod ends causing it. They did need changing though, seals busted and connections loose.

Who says Moog is junk? All the mechanics told me to buy Moog for my upper and lower control arm/ball joint replacment for my F-150. I couldn't have been happier with those results.

OSCS

Reaction score
Im just sayin I don't trust any motor oil, synthetic or not that is not designed to be compressed at over 3000+ psi for more than 3-4k.. Just my opinion. Tycor is right though find someone with a similar applications as yours and see if it works for you. Didn't mean to muck up your thread.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You didn't muck up anything. All opinions are valid and appreciated. Whether or not another agrees with an opinion is yet another valid opinion.

We're all grown men, it's all good. Thanks though.

As it stands I have no opinion on synthetic oil. I do know that all vehicles throughout the history of internal combustion engines have done well on whatever the manufacturer's recommendations. Sythenteic is still relatively new, comparatively.

I have no problem with regular oil, just change it regularly.

OSCS

Reaction score
Roadhouse where you from? That red beans and rice looks like chilli LOL come to south texas or Louisiana and you'll get some real red beans and rice that needs only a spoon!

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Roadhouse where you from? That red beans and rice looks like chilli LOL come to south texas or Louisiana and you'll get some real red beans and rice that needs only a spoon!

Uhm, I run this town.

Houston, Tx, I live in the southwest side, Bellaire/ South Sam Houston Tollway. Been here in Houston the majority of my years. eYe'm dUh weLleD veRsdEd iN dUh eAtEnIngS uHf dUh foOdS 'rOuNd DeEsE pArTs. :pimp:

I was out in Stafford, off of Alternate 90, having the rear differential and u-joint worked on. The restaurant I had the red beans at was next door, just convenient to kill some time. It wasn't all that good but it did the job.

I prefer Ragin' Cajun but what you gonna do?

OSCS

Reaction score
Uhm, I run this town.

Houston, Tx, I live in the southwest side, Bellaire/ South Sam Houston Tollway. Been here in Houston the majority of my years. eYe'm dUh weLleD veRsdEd iN dUh eAtEnIngS uHf dUh foOdS 'rOuNd DeEsE pArTs. :pimp:

I was out in Stafford, off of Alternate 90, having the rear differential and u-joint worked on. The restaurant I had the red beans at was next door, just convenient to kill some time. It wasn't all that good but it did the job.

I prefer Ragin' Cajun but what you gonna do?

Live in Houston my self! 290/barker cypress. Never seen bean and rice that decorated LOL

Give me a shout if you run into any problems

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have some teenage neighbors across the street, leave trash all over their yard which in turn ends up on my friends yard who is their direct neghbor to the side, loud music 'till the wee hours of the early morn', and they drive their craptastic four banger piece of sh!t Fast and Furious wanna be cars up and down the street like it's a drag strip.

I see you have a lifted truck. Can you come over and run over their vehicles? :)

Thanks.

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not the kind of problem you were offering help with, huh? I had to try.

Truck is fine so far. Know anything about the steering wheel box? Supposedly it's designed to be adjusted so you can tighten up the play in the steering wheel but no one wants to touch it. They say it's best to replace the entire thing.

And since you're in Houston, I have a diesel mechanic who works at a main Ford dealership here in town who can help you out for a very, very reasonable price if you get my drift. He has full use of the shop there. He was going to do my outter tie rods and an alignment for $75 flat, but I'd couldn't leave it there yesterday, I needed the truck nor did I have ride back home. I ended up paying $240 elsewhere.

He is going to replace this wheel box and install it for $280. Not too shabby!

OSCS

Reaction score
Not the kind of problem you were offering help with, huh? I had to try.

Truck is fine so far. Know anything about the steering wheel box? Supposedly it's designed to be adjusted so you can tighten up the play in the steering wheel but no one wants to touch it. They say it's best to replace the entire thing.

And since you're in Houston, I have a diesel mechanic who works at a main Ford dealership here in town who can help you out for a very, very reasonable price if you get my drift. He has full use of the shop there. He was going to do my outter tie rods and an alignment for $75 flat, but I'd couldn't leave it there yesterday, I needed the truck nor did I have ride back home. I ended up paying $240 elsewhere.

He is going to replace this wheel box and install it for $280. Not too shabby!

To b

Too bad I just sold my deuce&a half that would have done the trick for sure! I've heard the same about the steering box.. Better to replace it. I will be contacting you about your friend. I am wanting to change out my ball joints and tie rods soon. Thinking about a polyurethane upgrade and lords knows I'm not interested in doing that..

Roadhouse

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Yup yup. I've actually never met him, only spoken with him a few times on the phone over the past few days. I'll call him when you need it and ask him if it's okay to give you his cell number. I doubt he'll have a problem with it.

Pm me when the time comes and keep in mind, he requires that the truck be left there all day, maybe even overnight. Just a heads up.

Dantheman

Reaction score
You can adjust the steering box. Disconnect the drag link from the pittman arm and the input shaft. Use an inch pound torque wrench on the input shaft to check the torque. Loosen the lock nut and unscrew the adjuster a full turn. Rotate the input shaft lock to lock several times without the torque wrench. Start screwing the adjuster inward 1/4 turn at a time. Rotate input shaft back and forth several times between adjustments. The further you screw in the adjuster will make it harder to turn the input shaft when you get where the wheels would be straight(mechanical center). Adjust till there is no more than 15 inch pounds of torque needed to get through the mechanical center. Adjusting too tight will result in a cracked housing or steering that locks when you dont expect it. Be Carefull! Put everything together and check it by turning side to side while slowly driving. (10 MPH) I went through my box at 275,000 miles and it was hard to drive straight till I got used to it again.

TARM

Reaction score
The issue is if you are needing adjustment its is from wear. Yes I fully agree and have done the adjustments but they are a stop gap measure to adjust for wear and that eventually leads to a new gear box if you want it corrected. Redhead or Lee make good gear boxes. There is also another area I have seen wear and that is in the steering rod going into the cab. Have someone under the truck looking at the arm and then start to turn the wheel in the cab and have them tell you when they see it turning at the gear box.

Moog has gone down in quality over the last few years. It happened with their last big merger IIRC. I use to swear by them as did many of the diesel and truck mech. Now many of them have had many warranty fixes because of early failures even right out of the box compared to a few years prior. I am not saying the are terrible just not what they use to be.

For the last few years I have been using XRF. They are actually cheaper as they are a smaller name and have very good quality with a excellent warranty. Just comparing the ball joints you can see the dif and everything is greaseable. In fact I have a new tie-rod kit that is going on from them. I compared it to the moog one I bought and then returned just to see the dif. They are very popular with logging trucks up in Canada and the northwest. Million mile replacement warranty.

Here's the link www.xrfchassis.com

Latest posts

Members online