E99 van turbos...

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I'm really bad witht the whole saving thing. But ill pick it up and make a few calls... Not really trying to spend a couple grand on a turbo kit.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I would get a better turbo. I would hate to buy the thing, rebuild it, swap wheels, modify the housing, and then find out I still need more. You could probably get close to a grand wrapped up in this van turbo pretty quick... Then again, dude, if it gets you where you wanted to go for a grand or less, good on ya...

Id price all the parts/work you need to get done to this charger, add 20% and see what you think.

jngreen

Reaction score
I'm really bad witht the whole saving thing. But ill pick it up and make a few calls... Not really trying to spend a couple grand on a turbo kit.

I think you will be happy with it, it should be a more durable turbo than your stocker while making more power too.

If it turns out that you don't like it, you could probably sell it for what you have in it. Seems like a no-brainer to me, if you don't want to spend 2 grand.

If it turns out that you like it, but egts are a little high with your injectors or you find yourself wanting more, put the 38r wheel in it. With the 38r wheel, it should make more power than a stock 38r because of the larger turbine housing/wheel. You would still be way under 2000 dollars for 500 hp capability. This turbo should give you more air than you can use with your injectors.

Last edited:

jngreen

Reaction score
I would get a better turbo. I would hate to buy the thing, rebuild it, swap wheels, modify the housing, and then find out I still need more. You could probably get close to a grand wrapped up in this van turbo pretty quick... Then again, dude, if it gets you where you wanted to go for a grand or less, good on ya...

Id price all the parts/work you need to get done to this charger, add 20% and see what you think.

Technically, this van turbo with the 38r wheel, will move more air than your turbo for half the cost.

You still think he shouldn't get it.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I think you will be happy with it, it should be a more durable turbo than your stocker while making more power too.

If it turns out that you don't like it, you could probably sell it for what you have in it. Seems like a no-brainer to me, if you don't want to spend 2 grand.

If it turns out that you like it, but egts are a little high with your injectors or you find yourself wanting more, put the 38r wheel in it. With the 38r wheel, it should make more power than a stock 38r because of the larger turbine housing/wheel. You would still be way under 2000 dollars for 500 hp capability. This turbo should give you more air than you can use with your injectors.

Thanks a lot bud, I'm going to pick it up, the worst that can happen is that I don't like it. Not like my injectors are all that big, I just want to make more power on a budget :D

TyCorr

Reaction score
Technically, this van turbo with the 38r wheel, will move more air than your turbo for half the cost.

You still think he shouldn't get it.

If he's happy with it, when its done then I guess it was a good buy, right? If he hates it or it doesnt perform like he wants then I would say its was a waste of money on his end. Hence my suggestion to price out everything. I agree its better than what he has...

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
So does anyone have info on the turbo itself?

I was told its the same as my turbo just has the nonwastegated 1.15 housing....

rat49f6

Reaction score
Bigger exhaust housing (1.15 non wastegated) & a larger exhaust wheel

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score

Didnt that^^^^ sum it up for ya?~!

I thought you already pulled the trigger?:shrug:

TyCorr

Reaction score
What dont you know?

Its a stocker off a van with a larger 1.15 a/r housing and it should have a larger turbine wheel as well. The compressor side is no different but its gonna move more air and be more efficient than your stocker already. JnGreen, who is more knowledgeable about the obs turbos than I said that with a 38r wheel it will move more air than a 38r. Although, some people who I trust are saying its not necessarily going to be more efficient than a 38r with the same exhaust side. I tend to agree with that.

Its a cheap upgrade, for sure. In your situation, Id say it should be perfect for your anticipated inj's.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you change out your stocker and never changed inj's it'd still be a better turbo. Theres really nothing to consider. If you have the money and dont like what you've got, its a no-brainer.

If you get it and run it and decide that its not what you want, resell it and get whatever you want as $$ dictates.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
If you change out your stocker and never changed inj's it'd still be a better turbo. Theres really nothing to consider. If you have the money and dont like what you've got, its a no-brainer.

If you get it and run it and decide that its not what you want, resell it and get whatever you want as $$ dictates.

That's true, if I don't like it I could just sell it

MINK

Reaction score
van turbo is a great upgrade IMO for the <400hp crowd - I loved mine with ads/100% tips especially for the money.

jngreen

Reaction score
I just read the other thread again, $250 for a like new turbo, you better buy it just to try it out.

You could always get your money out of it, or run it until you save up enough for a complete kit.

I thought we had this solved, just make sure it has a 1.15 housing on it, or its not really a van turbo.