E99 van turbos...

samoht517

Reaction score
I blew the turbo up on my 97 and switched over to the van turbo and it was definitely a noticeable change. Personally I am going to save for a 38r cause this one surges pretty bad at certain loads and I want the spool up of BB. Im running stock split shots so its pretty similar to a superduty.

Mtack

Reaction score
I can`t offer much advice on the performance side but one thing I can tell you is that the e99 van turbo is not easy to find. It took me several months to find one for a guy a while back. Then he didn`t show back up, so I still have it! I have an e99 truck though so I have thought about throwing it on my truck one of these days. If you can get it reasonable, I would buy it. You can probably sell it pretty easily.

samoht517

Reaction score
Mine isn't to smokey unless I'm cruising around 55 and need to move then it smokes until it lights but once its lit its pretty clean. Pretty good down low too

TyCorr

Reaction score
I blew the turbo up on my 97 and switched over to the van turbo and it was definitely a noticeable change. Personally I am going to save for a 38r cause this one surges pretty bad at certain loads and I want the spool up of BB. Im running stock split shots so its pretty similar to a superduty.

THis is what I was getting at earlier, op, I have a hunch that a 38r is still going to be more driveable. However, the cost is much higher. Especially since you'd have to change out your piping and pedestal,etc...

With your inj's it should be decent. Id not rule out saving for a powermax or BW with Irates mount kit. If the van turbo gets it done, awesome, if not sell it and get a different charger.

MINK

Reaction score
Yes but your year van turbo is different then a e99 one is it not?

Diff mount but otherwise should be similar - honestly you are over thinking it, if you want a cheap upgrade just buy the damn thing and see how it works for your setup.

jngreen

Reaction score
Is this conversation still going on? lol

Run your stock turbo with your injectors first, and then bolt this turbo on and see if you like the difference. If you don't like it, sell the damn thing. Nothing to lose, at all.

Come on, its 250 bucks for an upgrade to what you currently have.

Also, you are more likely to have surge out of your stocker, than you are a van turbo.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is this conversation still going on? lol

Run your stock turbo with your injectors first, and then bolt this turbo on and see if you like the difference. If you don't like it, sell the damn thing. Nothing to lose, at all.

Come on, its 250 bucks for an upgrade to what you currently have.

Also, you are more likely to have surge out of your stocker, than you are a van turbo.

I thought for sure you had him sold before!! I dont know why this is still going either. Yet I cant stop checking on it...:D

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
He did but I talked to Doug and started to have doubts. I'm not going to put a 38r wheel on it , doug says the shaft will snap, because the wheel is too big for the shaft

TyCorr

Reaction score
He did but I talked to Doug and started to have doubts. I'm not going to put a 38r wheel on it , doug says the shaft will snap, because the wheel is too big for the shaft

I kinda figured that....I think its a good buy...I think it'll handle what you're going to throw at it. I dont think its going to take kindly to having a larger compressor section thrown at it and live for very long...

Still a better part than you have currently and cheap.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I kinda figured that....I think its a good buy...I think it'll handle what you're going to throw at it. I dont think its going to take kindly to having a larger compressor section thrown at it and live for very long...

Still a better part than you have currently and cheap.

Yup just waiting on his pm for the info

jngreen

Reaction score
Ask Bean what a D66 is. He seems to have good luck with them. Start another thread about it if you want more than one person's opinion on it.

I'm pretty sure a 38r has the exact same shaft size, so why aren't they known for snapping shafts?

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Ask Bean what a D66 is. He seems to have good luck with them. Start another thread about it if you want more than one person's opinion on it.

I'm pretty sure a 38r has the exact same shaft size, so why aren't they known for snapping shafts?

Just what I was told bud LOL

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats not what I was told....

I was told the 38r has a bigger shaft and the dual bb setup takes lots of the eccentric loads off the shaft. Thats why they spool faster. More efficient.

Theres a reason people that have put a 38r wheel in those frames wind up buying a bb charger anyway.

The d66 however would be ideal if the van turbo doesnt do what it was supposed to.

kampy

Reaction score
A D66 is a stock turbo with a 38R compressor wheel, nothing more, nothing less. And they won't snap a shaft unless they are out of balance.