E99 van turbos...

Fordcowboy

Reaction score
My turbo is a super 66 which is basically what was mentioned earlier, E99 van turbo with the 38R compressor side, or a D66 with the van turbine side, same thing.

I'm running 250/200's with mine. It isn't going to spool like a 38R because it isn't ball bearing, but tuning should be able to make it spool just fine.

Mine will surge sometimes, but not like a stock turbo. At elevation, and with the bigger injectors, I have some lag and smoke to deal with, but at your elevation and with the injectors you are choosing, you should be just fine.

Last time I was on the dyno I did 479hp, with an up pipe leak, low fuel pressure, tuning wasn't dialed in, and still other upgrades I could do and haven't yet. I drive it fairly hard, and am always in a high setting, the turbo has been on for just about a year now with these injectors and no problems yet. I haven't checked shaft play recently but it has been fine before and I'm sure still is.

I think you would like it and notice an improvement, and for the price, you probably can't go wrong.

TyCorr

Reaction score
So if I take a gtp 38 and slap a r code compressor wheel and housing on if I can expect 38r performan ce from it. Diesel cowboy explained it best

All other points aside for the money the op cant go wrong. End of story....

jngreen

Reaction score
So if I take a gtp 38 and slap a r code compressor wheel and housing on if I can expect 38r performan ce from it. Diesel cowboy explained it best

All other points aside for the money the op cant go wrong. End of story....

I guess the 10 times I said it wasn't good enough, lol.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I guess the 10 times I said it wasn't good enough, lol.

Depends on which part of your quote you're referencing.

If its in regard to what I said about the 66 or super 66, then no, dont repeat what you said. I got it the first time. I dont agree either. The efficiency is NOT the same. To get apples next to apples, a 38r with a 1.15exh housing and the super 66 might be the same on paper. The spoolup of the bb center cartridge makes up for any additional air the 'frankenstein' turbo can push. Ive got a fairly reputable source telling me this.

If you're saying you told the op ten times to buy the martha fisher, yes, I agree. Im actually interested in seeing one, after all this discussion.

Fordcowboy

Reaction score

If its in regard to what I said about the 66 or super 66, then no, dont repeat what you said. I got it the first time. I dont agree either. The efficiency is NOT the same. To get apples next to apples, a 38r with a 1.15exh housing and the super 66 might be the same on paper. The spoolup of the bb center cartridge makes up for any additional air the 'frankenstein' turbo can push. Ive got a fairly reputable source telling me this.

If you're saying you told the op ten times to buy the martha fisher, yes, I agree. Im actually interested in seeing one, after all this discussion.

I already said that spool up will be less with a Non BB turbo. When you say spool up makes up for air flow, I think it depends on the context. Daily driving, yes you will notice. At the track, if you know what you are doing and spool it correctly I don't think you will notice a difference.

Just for this discussion, I do have a 1.0 housing on my super 66 to make up for altitude, so essentially I have a 38r with a larger turbine wheel, and non BB. I have not measured drive pressure, on my setup, but math would tell me that it is lower than with a 38r. I will say that I would prefer faster spool up, but if I bugged my tuners enough, I would have it, and I don't have to change 5 other pieces on my motor like I would with a 38r, on top of the 1k+ price tag. I'm well on my way to proving that with my setup, I will be pretty dang close to the same results as a 38r, if not the same, with a far cheaper price tag, at least for an E99.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I already said that spool up will be less with a Non BB turbo. When you say spool up makes up for air flow, I think it depends on the context. Daily driving, yes you will notice. At the track, if you know what you are doing and spool it correctly I don't think you will notice a difference.

Just for this discussion, I do have a 1.0 housing on my super 66 to make up for altitude, so essentially I have a 38r with a larger turbine wheel, and non BB. I have not measured drive pressure, on my setup, but math would tell me that it is lower than with a 38r. I will say that I would prefer faster spool up, but if I bugged my tuners enough, I would have it, and I don't have to change 5 other pieces on my motor like I would with a 38r, on top of the 1k+ price tag. I'm well on my way to proving that with my setup, I will be pretty dang close to the same results as a 38r, if not the same, with a far cheaper price tag, at least for an E99.

I didnt quote you, in or out of context.

Ive agreed with everything you said. Other than those JB turbos with larger wheels being equal to a 38r. Thats not the point of this discussion and we've already flogged in that puddle so its not needed again.

I dont know how you e99 guys can figure out a charger for $200 but cant locate the spyder, pedestal and piping to convert to the 99.5 setup for under a grand....or even $500. Not that it matters in this case.

Good luck to all in this thread...

jngreen

Reaction score

Nope, don't really have enough experience to make an argument either way, I just know what it looks like on paper, and in my head. I don't really see how a ball bearing center section makes a turbo that much better than a JB as far as all out performance or top end performance, but my opinion doesn't really matter.

This is what I mean't.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
The only reason I didnt walk away after I foolishly stumbled into this thread in my first post is that a friend with an e99 just put the van turbine section on his stocker. A fabricator friend of both of us destroked his own e99. The resulting parts that worked are going on the other guys truck. His charger doesnt have the compressor wheel yet. Its much better than what he had though. I just dont see the compressor wheel making the difference between my 38r and his charger. We both have the same tunes and pcm strategy, fwiw.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
I've learned that the van turbo will be an upgrade of what I have. Still have to call bean and unlimited to see what they can do

Latest posts

Members online