Elite Tow Power Atmosphere turbo data

B585Ford

Reaction score
wayne, how is back pressure etc with this? is it something someone would be needing to look into a waste gate kit? or is it running fine without a gate?

I just made a video tonight of mini max at various throttle positions. My camera sucks but I think it can give you idea of how well the set up is staying 1:1. For reference, from top to bottom, EGT, Boost, EBP, Coolant temp.

http://youtu.be/8LZySG8yxkY

http://youtu.be/pfWGSAzdVHg

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. I would think you would need to worry about it on WOT. Not cruising though. That's how my 6.0 spikes at least

B585Ford

Reaction score
Thanks for the video. I would think you would need to worry about it on WOT. Not cruising though. That's how my 6.0 spikes at least

So far no issues for me, but I thought I read in one of the threads that Ipkyss said he was good at WOT but there was some difference at partial throttle.
Ipkyss, is that right??

CamTom12

Reaction score
Very likely that's the case. The way VGT works is that the vanes in the turbine housing make the housing "tighter" or "looser" to achieve desired drive pressure from the computer.

Higher drive pressure at part throttle will make a less-laggy truck. Much better for DD/towing. When you get closer to WOT you've got a lot more exhaust volume and temperature to keep the turbines spooled so the computer adjusts the VGT vanes to "loosen" the housing.

Around a 1:1 is good to go for WOT, but I wouldn't worry about your part throttle at all.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I am on my setup (71, Go Go intake manny, non-ported 6.0 exh manny, Elite up pipes) just over a week now (stock fuel) and love it, but tonight I did confirm that although I almost always at 1:1 during all driving conditions, my EBP gets too high when at WOT at 3000 RPMs (I let off when I was in the mid 60s and that was with ~48 boost). I am just running canned H&S tunes right now. I don't race or sled pull so I almost never see those kind of RPMs, but I was wondering if there would be a way to control this w/o a wastegate? I should note that I was on a grade and towing an empty trailer that weighs ~4k.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I think that h&s doesn't use atmospheric pressure on ebp. What sites the vgt duty cycle go to at WOT? Tuning can play a factor in back pressure.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Through my personal data logging, I was seeing 54-56 psi of boost and 62-68 psi of back pressure at WOT in OD. That's with the 71mm and pretty much stock fuel running our 310 tune. In my opinion, that ratio isn't bad. With the converter unlocked, however, the boost will not be as high and back pressure will still be in the mid to high 60's at WOT.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I am going to do a data log next time I load the 310. I have not seen the ebp climb at higher rpms like that. I know it stayed 1-1 on a dyno run up to 4k. But it is hard to drive the 310 and look at a monitor while keeping the truck on the road.

B585Ford

Reaction score
I think that h&s doesn't use atmospheric pressure on ebp. What sites the vgt duty cycle go to at WOT? Tuning can play a factor in back pressure.

Before I bought the H&S, I contacted them about the EBP readings and they confirmed you don't have to subtract the 14.3.

Dzchey21,
Thanks for the input. I thought the programming could be a factor, I appreciate you confirming that for me. Like I said, my truck almost never sees those kind of RPMs.....but yesterday a guy stopped by in a Cummins where I was working and after asking about my trailer, he started talkin sh#t. Since I was working for someone else, I didn't say anything other than it was a nice truck (2012 CCSB Cummins w/ CAI and exhaust - no tuner). After we finished up, the trailer was empty and I was on my way home and he came flying up beside me. Thankfully, it was just starting a hill running ~50 so I didn't have to shift (the hand shaker makes this truck shift very slow). I punched it and it was even close and he wasn't towing a trailer. Doubt I will see him again at the site. Thanks again Elite and Holderdown!!!!!

Like Ipkyss said, it is hard to watch the gauges when you got her floored and are trying to drive. I don't think the H&S has the capability to data log.

I don't know about "what sites the vgt duty cycle got at WOT"....You will have to ignore my ignorance, but I don't even know what you are asking?? I assume that means how open are the vanes....I don't know how to monitor it.

Well, I have to say that I LOVE THIS SET UP!!!! I was towing the dump trailer today (which pulls really smooth), but had a total of just under 15k and the power was great and even more impressive was the temps. There almost no flat ground in WV but when I was running on a section that appears completely flat (it could be 0.5% grade at the most) and driving 70 MPH and the EGTs were below 600. Even on all the hills, I never down shifted and I never saw even 1100!!! That impressed the h#ll out of me. With that kind of load before the turbo upgrade, I know I would have been backing off or downshifting to keep the EGTs in check.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Before I bought the H&S, I contacted them about the EBP readings and they confirmed you don't have to subtract the 14.3.

Dzchey21,
Thanks for the input. I thought the programming could be a factor, I appreciate you confirming that for me. Like I said, my truck almost never sees those kind of RPMs.....but yesterday a guy stopped by in a Cummins where I was working and after asking about my trailer, he started talkin sh#t. Since I was working for someone else, I didn't say anything other than it was a nice truck (2012 CCSB Cummins w/ CAI and exhaust - no tuner). After we finished up, the trailer was empty and I was on my way home and he came flying up beside me. Thankfully, it was just starting a hill running ~50 so I didn't have to shift (the hand shaker makes this truck shift very slow). I punched it and it was even close and he wasn't towing a trailer. Doubt I will see him again at the site. Thanks again Elite and Holderdown!!!!!

Like Ipkyss said, it is hard to watch the gauges when you got her floored and are trying to drive. I don't think the H&S has the capability to data log.

I don't know about "what sites the vgt duty cycle got at WOT"....You will have to ignore my ignorance, but I don't even know what you are asking?? I assume that means how open are the vanes....I don't know how to monitor it.

Well, I have to say that I LOVE THIS SET UP!!!! I was towing the dump trailer today (which pulls really smooth), but had a total of just under 15k and the power was great and even more impressive was the temps. There almost no flat ground in WV but when I was running on a section that appears completely flat (it could be 0.5% grade at the most) and driving 70 MPH and the EGTs were below 600. Even on all the hills, I never down shifted and I never saw even 1100!!! That impressed the h#ll out of me. With that kind of load before the turbo upgrade, I know I would have been backing off or downshifting to keep the EGTs in check.

The egts and the way it tows tells me that the set up is good. Don't really need to see back pressure numbers to confirm that.

Not sure how the h&s is set up but you should be able to watch vgt duty cycle. At idle it should be 95% and at full throttle it should go down to 7% or lower which is vanes all the way open.

Newstroker

Reaction score
I am going to do a data log next time I load the 310. I have not seen the ebp climb at higher rpms like that. I know it stayed 1-1 on a dyno run up to 4k. But it is hard to drive the 310 and look at a monitor while keeping the truck on the road.

Please keep us posted. I know when running my 275 tune the ebp would continue to climb to about 70psi. With my 285 tune it will spike to about 66-67psi and settle at about 6psi above my boost. I am going to run the 325 tune today and report back.

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
The egts and the way it tows tells me that the set up is good. Don't really need to see back pressure numbers to confirm that.

Not sure how the h&s is set up but you should be able to watch vgt duty cycle. At idle it should be 95% and at full throttle it should go down to 7% or lower which is vanes all the way open.

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

Reaction score
It has been doing great. I'm very satisfied with it. Unfortunately for me, my truck is a test bed for lots of parts, so I'm back to stock for some more baseline dyno runs tomorrow. Gonna be doing a transmission/converter test up next, then camshaft validation, then multiple turbo configurations, fuel pumps, injectors, intake manifold, etc., etc. all with dyno results & data logs to back up modification value.

Personal opinion here, I doubt my 175K transmission would last another 20K with me beating on it day in and day out on 37's and that tow-power atmosphere turbo with xtreme race programming. It's still doing great, but 640ish HP, and the kid in me just can't be a reliability combination for stock parts. As far as head studs go, the truck doesn't need them yet, but when I swap out the cam in the next few weeks some studs will be going in. Better safe than sorry, but so far, so good. Lots more to come as far as data, but I'm pretty much done with this combo for now.

nickg3130

Reaction score
It has been doing great. I'm very satisfied with it. Unfortunately for me, my truck is a test bed for lots of parts, so I'm back to stock for some more baseline dyno runs tomorrow. Gonna be doing a transmission/converter test up next, then camshaft validation, then multiple turbo configurations, fuel pumps, injectors, intake manifold, etc., etc. all with dyno results & data logs to back up modification value.

Personal opinion here, I doubt my 175K transmission would last another 20K with me beating on it day in and day out on 37's and that tow-power atmosphere turbo with xtreme race programming. It's still doing great, but 640ish HP, and the kid in me just can't be a reliability combination for stock parts. As far as head studs go, the truck doesn't need them yet, but when I swap out the cam in the next few weeks some studs will be going in. Better safe than sorry, but so far, so good. Lots more to come as far as data, but I'm pretty much done with this combo for now.

That's awesome though man the more info we get on these set ups the more people will go with them. Sorry for a bit of a hi-jack but you think my truck with only 20000 miles would be ok with stock bolts and trans for a while lol?

Wayne

Reaction score
That's awesome though man the more info we get on these set ups the more people will go with them. Sorry for a bit of a hi-jack but you think my truck with only 20000 miles would be ok with stock bolts and trans for a while lol?

I suspect you'd be fine for quite a while. Do you beat your truck like a stray dog, or drive it like you're the one paying for it? I heard a guy strongly recommend studs on stock engine running the new xtreme x tune soon to be released from innovative, so you're in a trail blazing area if you go to the new tune. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. what's the worst that could happen? blow your head gaskets and do studs???... then go bigger:evil

nickg3130

Reaction score
I suspect you'd be fine for quite a while. Do you beat your truck like a stray dog, or drive it like you're the one paying for it? I heard a guy strongly recommend studs on stock engine running the new xtreme x tune soon to be released from innovative, so you're in a trail blazing area if you go to the new tune. I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. what's the worst that could happen? blow your head gaskets and do studs???... then go bigger:evil
You do have a good point. My truck has never been to the strip or a pull it is just a fun street truck. If someone tries passing me I almost make sure it doesn't happen though. I also tow a bit but nothing over 10,000 lbs. I think I'm just gonna go for it and if something happens then studs and maybe more fuel will be added to the situation.

Latest posts

Members online