F-550 build...Work Rig.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
^^^ Yes sir. I've been looking for one. I'd like to find one used but not having much luck. I'm trying to keep this rig on a half ass budget. I always blow threw them on my KR. Wife and I are talking about having another child so my spending habits are going to be drastically reduced.

Check out recon winches, 16500lb winch is 450$.... they are awesome

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jomax

Reaction score
Check out recon winches, 16500lb winch is 450$.... they are awesome

You have one? My only worry is reliability. Last thing you want is for it not to work when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using
TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

B.Warning

Reaction score
Yea sorry guys, $670 total for 2 front wheels. I didn't think that was to bad a price.

I'll check out recon winches. Do you have any experience with them?

Jomax

Reaction score
Yea sorry guys, $670 total for 2 front wheels. I didn't think that was to bad a price.

That's a pretty good price. They only make 20in though?

TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

fordfreak4life

Reaction score

Ran one on my rock crawler for 2 years... not the fastest but I never managed to stall it with the k5 on 44s buried to the axle in sand....

Buffalo444

Reaction score
Yeah, not to mention those brakes are designed to go behind 19.5s anyway, not like you'll be able to stuff much more brake into an extra half inch.

Sent from my LG-C900 using Board Express

B.Warning

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation konnor, but it'll be fine. The brakes are damn good now and it really won't be near as bad as my KR. They were designed for 265's on 20 and I'm running 37's with heavy super singles. Brakes still work good, just not as good as before.

What I'm trying to say is screw it...it'll be ok.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation konnor, but it'll be fine. The brakes are damn good now and it really won't be near as bad as my KR. They were designed for 265's on 20 and I'm running 37's with heavy super singles. Brakes still work good, just not as good as before.

What I'm trying to say is screw it...it'll be ok.

Ya it clicked after i made the post that it's a 550. Shouldnt have any issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jomax

Reaction score
Is it hard to put 550 brakes on a 350 if it has 19.5's?

TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

Jomax

Reaction score
Probably have to swap axles

But does everything plug in? My question is are the Hydro boost pumps bigger on a 550? Would be happy just to upgrade the front brakes. They do alot of the work anyways.

TapTalk
2000 Black DRW F-350
2012 pearl white Focus

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Everything is the same except for the actual brake components (caliper bracket, caliper, rotor, and pads), as far as I know.

And I think the front brake components will bolt up to a dana 60, because that's the front axle that a 4x4 F550 uses. The only difference I believe is the spacer that spaces the wheels out, also changes the bolt pattern to the 550 pattern. If that makes any sense.

1badpsd

Reaction score
Everything is the same except for the actual brake components (caliper bracket, caliper, rotor, and pads), as far as I know.

And I think the front brake components will bolt up to a dana 60, because that's the front axle that a 4x4 F550 uses. The only difference I believe is the spacer that spaces the wheels out, also changes the bolt pattern to the 550 pattern. If that makes any sense.

Your basically saying the axle is the same you'd just have to put a 550 spindle and hub assembly on it or possibly just a 550 hub if the spindles are the same

Denver

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the F450s and F550s have what is called a Dana Super 60 compared to the F350s having a regular Dana 60. I do know the axle does have dually adapters that go from the small 8 lug to the large 8 lug. Taking the adapter off will give you a SRW type front axle with large brakes but I don't know if the spindles are the same.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the F450s and F550s have what is called a Dana Super 60 compared to the F350s having a regular Dana 60. I do know the axle does have dually adapters that go from the small 8 lug to the large 8 lug. Taking the adapter off will give you a SRW type front axle with large brakes but I don't know if the spindles are the same.

Super 60 is on the 04 up ones that have the ten lug pattern.