FireStone R4 Air Ride Kits....

Paul@CP_Trucks

Reaction score
This looks interesting. I have what is probably a dumb question, but do they make this setup for all 4 corners? I know the Ex has an issue with it's neutered front end suspension height, and you can do the B(?) spring upgrade to it, but if this worked for front and rear, that may be another way to go? How much for this kit for an 05 Excursion? And if I happen to already have an ARB air compressor, is the kit available without one to save a little on the cost, as I can't believe a setup like this will be inexpensive? Are the install instructions available on line to read before making a purchasing decision? Thanks!

Sorry for the delay....they don't make any components for the Ex yet.

The only air ride kit available should be Kelderman.

http://kelderman.com/old/lift-kits/products/info.php?product=05FRDLIFT10

Last edited:

alha

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I checked it out, and I think they are mistaken listing the Ex, because they mention coil suspension, and the '05 Ex still used the leaf spring suspension from the 04 and earlier models. Guess I'll have to keep looking, let me know if/when you hear of anyone making a 4 corner leaf to air bag conversion kit. Thanks!

alha

Reaction score
I think I might just do that, it can't hurt to find out for sure, thanks for the suggestion.

G Racing

Reaction score
Out with the old. In with the new
8ae238ad.jpg

fcacadac.jpg

a4c3e74a.jpg

74448c00.jpg

2b14dae3.jpg

e1c398d1.jpg

28fd159a.jpg

f4ca844b.jpg

17a26be2.jpg

bd43060d.jpg

ba1f3baa.jpg

18d85139.jpg

e9998ded.jpg

a1bdd0b8.jpg

de10ceb5.jpg

d57742a1.jpg

0787e846.jpg

88245fc8.jpg

f83f1d3f.jpg

ec678868.jpg

d7036c11.jpg

316af045.jpg

5ac6b220.jpg

G Racing

Reaction score
So there's only 1 leaf that is full length now? How was the ride after install

Yes one full length spring. Haven't had the chance to take it out for a drive yet. I decided to put 2 air pressure gauges in and I'm waiting on those to show up to complete the install.

Agjake11

Reaction score
interested to see how that turns out. seems odd to only have one but i like the install and how it works with the turnover ball

G Racing

Reaction score
Yea, i can't wait to see how it rides. The one spring will greatly help the ride empty. Then I'll hook up the trailer and put a load on it to see how it does.

Agjake11

Reaction score
interested to see how it rides unloaded, i really want to do something to make my rear end ride smoother haha

RBernardi

Reaction score
It has been on there awhile. Kind of think it's not a typo, because it's has been listed a few times with the same price. I know the race runner shocks are pricey, but not more than a few grand.

G Racing

Reaction score
Made a few trips through town and the truck rides WAY better than stock. It rides almost like a half ton truck. You don't feel every crack and rock in the road lol. Next test will be with a loaded trailer to see how it rides.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
if you are able to put a camera, down there, check to see if trac bars are a mandatroy thing with just a single leaf.

it would seem that axel wrap would be a large problem. i see that its also a split leaf, one over, one under the block, which would help, to some extent i guess.

i had thought about getting one of those kits as well, as soon as paul started this thread, but i have been known to hook up to some......over weight things. which is what that would be good for.

but i have also been known to have a real heavy foot.

just cuz im curious, and if you have the camera capability, hook up to the trailer, loaded, make it level with your air, and apply the trailer brakes fully, then pull against it with the truck. and give it some serious juice. nothing long duration, dont want to hurt your trans or anything.

this will simulate hooking up to something.......heavy, and taking off. or out and about......playing. if your still game, TRY TO MAKE IT twist up. if your axel doesnt twist up, price me one of those kits.

Last edited:

G Racing

Reaction score
If you look at the fourth, fifth, and sixth photo I posted you will see what is called a j spring. It connects to the front bracket and then to the axle. It acts as a torsion bar to limit or prevent most of the axle wrap. I hooked up the take three and loaded three vehicles on it. The rear of the truck sat one inch lower than than empty with no trailer. Didn't take it out for a ride but next week I'm going to load the three trucks back up and go for a drive. Sorry but I don't have a video camera to hook up.

4bde5f17.jpg

9aa88a41.jpg