FireStone R4 Air Ride Kits....

G Racing

Reaction score
I made a few adjustments and loaded the trailer back up for a little drive. The truck rides very nice compared to having factory springs on. I like the unloaded ride even better.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Finished my install today, at least enough to drive. The air tank won't fit with AMP side steps (at least not on a CC/SB) so I couldn't mount the tank (and didn't want to mount the compressor if not right next to the tank). For now, I've got each of the bags plumbed to a schrader valve and I have to manuall fill them with air. Also, since the shocks require air from the bags to adjust their rate, I left my stock shocks (one of which is fubar)...so my ride is certainly not "right".

I'm building a big plate to go where the spare tire normally goes. The tank, compressor and probably an air horn of some type will mount on that plate. Once that's done, I'll get the "automated" stuff installed, which I'm looking forward to. For now I'll have to pay attention to see if the bags lose air over time and keep them air'd up manually.

Very nice kit, very nice parts for sure! Instructions left a bit to be desired...there were some items I had to read several times before I could figure out what they meant. They also don't bag the hardware in any logical order that I could tell, best to just open everything and lay it all out.

Paul@CP_Trucks

Reaction score
Very nice kit, very nice parts for sure! Instructions left a bit to be desired...there were some items I had to read several times before I could figure out what they meant. They also don't bag the hardware in any logical order that I could tell, best to just open everything and lay it all out.

I'll agree with you 100%. One piece of advice I can give Dennis is when you mount the air shocks the stem goes up not down....

TexasA&M

Reaction score
Any further updates on this? What are your thoughts after driving on this system for a while?

I've been eyeing this system for a couple of months now and am thinking of pulling the trigger soon. I've read some poor reviews though from a couple of folks that have F350/450 duallys. Anyone running this on a SRW?

Another thing I'm concerned with is that they don't have a kit designed for use on a truck with a 4" block. Everything they have listed for an F350 says 2" block, which is odd since I didn't think For built any F350s with a 2" block.

I currently have an F250, but I put a 4" block in it to raise it up just a bit... I don't want to lose any ride height when I go to this new suspension.

Anyhow, let me know what you think. I don't want to drop $2k on a suspension and be disappointed....

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
I just bought one of these kits and figured I could install it over the weekend.

Well I ran into a couple of problems and most of the weekend was spent tearing the old stuff out. I will try to post some photos tonight.

Couple of questions,

How much clearance did the exhaust have with the passenger side air bag? I have about an inch to my air fitting.

Where is a good spot to get KO 12v power (trigger) for the compressor wiring relay? I was hoping for a spot under the hood on the passenger side.

Did any of you encounter lower bag mount interference with the sway bar?

G Racing

Reaction score
Any further updates on this? What are your thoughts after driving on this system for a while?

I've been eyeing this system for a couple of months now and am thinking of pulling the trigger soon. I've read some poor reviews though from a couple of folks that have F350/450 duallys. Anyone running this on a SRW?

Another thing I'm concerned with is that they don't have a kit designed for use on a truck with a 4" block. Everything they have listed for an F350 says 2" block, which is odd since I didn't think For built any F350s with a 2" block.

I currently have an F250, but I put a 4" block in it to raise it up just a bit... I don't want to lose any ride height when I go to this new suspension.

Anyhow, let me know what you think. I don't want to drop $2k on a suspension and be disappointed....

I have one installed on a 2008 f350 cc dually. With the kit installed it sits just a tad higher in the rear but it is adjustable. I have 2 gauges that monitor pressure in the bags and in the tank. Empty I am running 25psi of air in the bags and the tank holds at 120psi. The empty ride is way better than stock. With the truck loaded with the take 3 and three vehicles the ride highth in the rear is one in lower than empty ride highth. It also rides much better than stock when loaded. I like the kit and would run it again on another truck.

Borcht Warrior

Reaction score
I just bought one of these kits and figured I could install it over the weekend.

Well I ran into a couple of problems and most of the weekend was spent tearing the old stuff out. I will try to post some photos tonight.

Couple of questions,

How much clearance did the exhaust have with the passenger side air bag? I have about an inch to my air fitting.

Where is a good spot to get KO 12v power (trigger) for the compressor wiring relay? I was hoping for a spot under the hood on the passenger side.

Did any of you encounter lower bag mount interference with the sway bar?

Here is my clearance to from my exhaust to the air bag.

Here is what I was saying about the lower bag mount interference with the sway bar. I painted it black after I cut about an inch of metal of the front of it.

Attachments

• DSCN4156.JPG
    DSCN4156.JPG
    931.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN4149.JPG
    DSCN4149.JPG
    978.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

TexasA&M

Reaction score
I have one installed on a 2008 f350 cc dually. With the kit installed it sits just a tad higher in the rear but it is adjustable. I have 2 gauges that monitor pressure in the bags and in the tank. Empty I am running 25psi of air in the bags and the tank holds at 120psi. The empty ride is way better than stock. With the truck loaded with the take 3 and three vehicles the ride highth in the rear is one in lower than empty ride highth. It also rides much better than stock when loaded. I like the kit and would run it again on another truck.

Thanks for the info. I think the duallies have different style blocks than the SRW trucks do. Still trying to find info on why they only offer kits for F350s with 2" blocks. Like I said, I'm trying to acheive the same ride height as a stock F350, but can't find anyone who has put this kit on a SRW Ford.

Glad to hear that it's working for you. Have you had any issues with the compressor? I've read some negative reviews pertaining to that specific part of the kit. I've already got some air horns and would like to run a few more, so if the compressor is barely adequate, I may look into upgrading that part.

I like the idea of having gauges to see what the system is doing. If/when I do the install, I plan on running one of the firestone gauges that has two needles (one for the tank, and one for the bags).

Paul@CP_Trucks

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think the duallies have different style blocks than the SRW trucks do. Still trying to find info on why they only offer kits for F350s with 2" blocks. Like I said, I'm trying to acheive the same ride height as a stock F350, but can't find anyone who has put this kit on a SRW Ford.

Glad to hear that it's working for you. Have you had any issues with the compressor? I've read some negative reviews pertaining to that specific part of the kit. I've already got some air horns and would like to run a few more, so if the compressor is barely adequate, I may look into upgrading that part.

I like the idea of having gauges to see what the system is doing. If/when I do the install, I plan on running one of the firestone gauges that has two needles (one for the tank, and one for the bags).

When we installed this on the Chevy we upgraded to a Viair compressor because it was also tied to a set of train horns.

You can't tie a pressure gauge to the bags. The way this kit is build the bag pressure varies so much you would never be able to read the gauge.

TexasA&M

Reaction score
Interesting... Didn't I see gauges in an install earlier in this thread? Was that just for the tank?

In any event, the gauge is really just for fun. I have already picked out a Viair setup that I have been wanting for a while, so I may go ahead and pick it up and then just tie the R4 system into it when I get around to pulling the trigger.

Paul@CP_Trucks

Reaction score
Interesting... Didn't I see gauges in an install earlier in this thread? Was that just for the tank?

In any event, the gauge is really just for fun. I have already picked out a Viair setup that I have been wanting for a while, so I may go ahead and pick it up and then just tie the R4 system into it when I get around to pulling the trigger.

You did see gauges one is on the tank the other is setup to show when the bags are dumped

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
this is the kit that is self leveling, correct?

with the leveling lever attached to the rear end, like a semi?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
my semi has a single self leveling, and a guage to go with it.

yes, when your bouncing down the road, the guage bounces.

when i get loaded at the quarry or when im hauling corn, i can tell, within 1000#'s, what i weigh based on what my air bags read. this has saved me several thousands in tickets at the weigh station. portable scales are a bitch.

two guages, one for each side, would also tell you if your have your load centered, if not pulling a trailer, as the trailer is naturally centered.

personally, guages for the bags, is a worthwhile investment. as your truck is no longer able to tell you those things, because the bags do everything they can to make the truck sit level.

it will no longer super sag when overloaded, or lean if your load is not centered. a guage will then tell you what your truck no longer can.