First impressions of a non vgt on my '11 6.7

Jonnydime

Reaction score
I do thank you for all the advice you've given me and much of it was taken into consideration. I have a new tune waiting to be loaded and will report back with pw and my findings.

Since you have a mini maxx and mcc have you considered doing the engine tuning yourself? That is what I ended up doing with my 6.4 and non vgt compounds. I left the trans tuning to ghead. It takes some time but in the end you understand how your truck responds to different things and you get that ohh soo sweet satisfaction of doing it yourself.:pint:

Last edited:

Bullet 21

Reaction score
I went with the 363sxe and tuning by PPEI on the Ez Lynk. My first set of tunes were rather smokey but now with the latest ECM/TCM tuning I can't make it smoke. I just switched to 35s and expected to see it smoke since I have 3.31's but it does not.

I think you will be happier with the proper tuning, the TCM tuning with updated shift strategy took care of most of the smoke I believe. It holds each gear much longer than it did with the stock strategy to keep the turbo in its operating range.

Reaction score
Just a little insight on this post since it's making non VGT turbos look really bad. YOU MUST RUN NON VGT TUNES WITH A NON VGT TURBO. Box tunes from any tuner (H&S Performance, SCT, *******, etc....) will not work on a non VGT truck and will run like garbage.

Also, I can't remember who's turbo kit you were running but, my offer still stands to send you some GOOD files for your setup, which you turned down. I don't know who the guy is that you had come out and "live tune" your truck but you can't judge a turbo (whether its ours or someone else's kit) and give negative feedback when it likely isn't the turbos fault. I've seen way too many garbage tunes installed on trucks and it's "the hardware's fault it runs bad."

Unfortunately, I don't know who sent you files so I can't say whether they are good or bad but, my suggestion would be to get with them and have some revisions done or find someone that can make you a file that works if your current tuner isn't capable. Again, my offer still stands.

I'm sure there are a handful of manufacturers/suppliers on here that would appreciate some positive feedback for non VGT turbos that we know work, even in your conditions.

getstroked27

Reaction score
:stupid:

What D-Money said. We have already proven non VGT can handle way more than 99% of what people would throw at it towing wise.... at altitudes an even smaller percentage will ever see, so has HSM. Tuning, driving ability(knowing what rpm the truck should be at and such) and tuning play HUGE roles in making any truck run right, especially an aftermarket turbo setup.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Just a little insight on this post since it's making non VGT turbos look really bad. YOU MUST RUN NON VGT TUNES WITH A NON VGT TURBO. Box tunes from any tuner (H&S Performance, SCT, *******, etc....) will not work on a non VGT truck and will run like garbage.

Also, I can't remember who's turbo kit you were running but, my offer still stands to send you some GOOD files for your setup, which you turned down. I don't know who the guy is that you had come out and "live tune" your truck but you can't judge a turbo (whether its ours or someone else's kit) and give negative feedback when it likely isn't the turbos fault. I've seen way too many garbage tunes installed on trucks and it's "the hardware's fault it runs bad."

Unfortunately, I don't know who sent you files so I can't say whether they are good or bad but, my suggestion would be to get with them and have some revisions done or find someone that can make you a file that works if your current tuner isn't capable. Again, my offer still stands.

I'm sure there are a handful of manufacturers/suppliers on here that would appreciate some positive feedback for non VGT turbos that we know work, even in your conditions.

i get the feeling he doesn't actually want any good tuning, considering he turned down an offer to get free tunes that are proven . this whole threads wreaks .

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
i get the feeling he doesn't actually want any good tuning, considering he turned down an offer to get free tunes that are proven . this whole threads wreaks .

Nah man I'm just a daddy money non VGT nut swinger... LOL I'd tell the OP to GET ****ED. Obviously he has a super secret squirrel tuner.

Reaction score

Honestly I couldn't get my setup finished before the guy left town who was going to live tune it. I have engine/trans tunes written specifically for a non vgt setup and they're from a reputable tuner. I didn't want to put them on the spot cause this was my initial impression of the setup and the implications that could follow. I have since received updated tunes like I previously stated. If you and others would've read the entire thread you wouldn't be clueless about what this thread is about. "First impressions of a non vgt turbo on a 6.7" which includes what it takes to make these setups work.

No manufacture or supplier can say that every single non vgt setup that they've supplied has had zero issues and that is my point. People need to give a real non biased opinion about their setups and what it takes for them to work. Like I said before if your setup works for you great this is my thread and my thoughts on it, so if your setup works then start your own thread and you can give it all the praise you want.

Reaction score

You're right I want my truck to run like garbage! That's why I started this whole "threads"

By the way the tunes from H&S weren't going to be for free, nothing is free in the diesel world you know that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
:stupid:

What D-Money said. We have already proven non VGT can handle way more than 99% of what people would throw at it towing wise.... at altitudes an even smaller percentage will ever see, so has HSM. Tuning, driving ability(knowing what rpm the truck should be at and such) and tuning play HUGE roles in making any truck run right, especially an aftermarket turbo setup.

Who's we? I really don't know

Did you mean drive ability?

I don't even know why I am talking to you, if you don't think altitude plays a role in tuning you don't know what you're talking about or you are just being ignorant.

@ 1000 ft above sea level effective O2 = 20.9% @ 7500 ft effective O2 = 15.7%. That's almost a 1/4 decrease in available O2, this just the tip of the ice burg when talking about tuning at a high elevation.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
We all know altitude plays a role with how a truck runs.... you aren't schooling anyone. You're just making yourself look really stupid trying to say your truck runs like dog **** and blame the non vgt when there's been a ton of trucks built and tuned running around at elevation just fine. I think the issue is you and your tunes... not the non vgt. And obviously my truck will be slower at elevation we all know that already. But I bet it still runs just fine even with a 68mm Elite Diesel kit at 7500' considering Tadd has been running the kit on his daily at 7500' in Colorado.

Codydiesel

Reaction score
It took 3 sets of tunes to get my set up right back when non vgts on 6.7s was a a fairly new thing. My first set was a mix up and the tune was for a completely different set up. Second set was just a base to see what the truck could take. Third set was spot on and max effort to get the most out of set up. All tunes were made for sea level elevation but they perform great at 6500 ft and everything in between. I also adapted my driving style for non vgts like rolling into the throttle, waiting for boost/rpm to be up before I go wot. If you are clouding out 3 lanes and staying in the throttle then you need to change your driving style. To much fuel down low on a nonvgt will stall the turbo and it will

Reaction score
We all know altitude plays a role with how a truck runs.... you aren't schooling anyone. You're just making yourself look really stupid trying to say your truck runs like dog **** and blame the non vgt when there's been a ton of trucks built and tuned running around at elevation just fine. I think the issue is you and your tunes... not the non vgt. And obviously my truck will be slower at elevation we all know that already. But I bet it still runs just fine even with a 68mm Elite Diesel kit at 7500' considering Tadd has been running the kit on his daily at 7500' in Colorado.

Consider yourself lucky that your tuner is at elevation and can tune for it easily. Maybe if this revision doesn't work Ill give Tadd a call. You yourself said that you had to get revisions done and that's all I am saying. Also you don't talk much towing and how your setup performs. Obviously since you have a 68mm turbo you weren't too concerned with towing 25k+. People act like they change the turbo out and load a tune and it works, that's not the case. Numerous people have pm'ed me with info about their non vgt setups and how it hasn't performed like people or suppliers stated. A lot of them don't want to post anything cause of all the crap I am getting. For me its more important to let members and people that just browse know that these non vgt setups take more to get sorted out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It took 3 sets of tunes to get my set up right back when non vgts on 6.7s was a a fairly new thing. My first set was a mix up and the tune was for a completely different set up. Second set was just a base to see what the truck could take. Third set was spot on and max effort to get the most out of set up. All tunes were made for sea level elevation but they perform great at 6500 ft and everything in between. I also adapted my driving style for non vgts like rolling into the throttle, waiting for boost/rpm to be up before I go wot. If you are clouding out 3 lanes and staying in the throttle then you need to change your driving style. To much fuel down low on a nonvgt will stall the turbo and it will

Thanks for posting! This is the kind of response I was looking for.

valvetick

Reaction score
I know this is off topic slightly for a 6.7 but I went through 3 different turbos on my old 6.0 before I found one that worked well for my towing and driving style also lived at 6500ft elevation. Now a 6.0 has no drive pressure and can't spool a turbo to save its life. But every tune revision came back to the same fact that if they fueled harder on the bottom to help spool quicker it smoked like crazy which I didn't like and pulling fuel helped smoke but never got the truck where I wanted it. Only thing that worked was watching my driving style and picking a turbo that delivered power where I wanted it and re-geared the truck since it was on 35's.

Now 6.7 has proven to spool a turbo with much better drive pressures but the same principle is there a larger turbo won't light up as fast as a smaller one off the bottom just like the 11-14 vs the 15-16 turbos you can feel a difference in lag on the 15+

Your driving style may be better fitted to a vgt or smaller charger or re-gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bpan

Reaction score
Man you should really just give up on this forum. You just **** over almost everyone who has lots of experience with and could help you out with your non VGT because your too ignorant to listen. My .02

Latest posts

Members online