First impressions of a non vgt on my '11 6.7

Reaction score
Well, I guess there should be some input to clean up this sh*t show....

After reading through this thread I have realized a couple things.

#1-This customer bought tunes from us. Tunes that work, our standard dual fueler non-vgt tunes. They are in a lot of people's trucks... including half the people arguing on here lol.

#2 unless I missed it, no where on the tuning information sheet that I was given did it say 7500' elevation in any comments... so it's grossly over fueled.

#3 the revised tunes have less fuel but still not tailored for a 7500' elevation. They may be better. But there is still a LOT of changes that can be made to operate cleaner at high altitude. Driving habit will also need changed no matter what tuning you run. Because it's not a vgt and you cannot just floor it and expect it to go like it did stock.

#4 even at best with perfect tuning this may or may not please the OP in spooling at 7500'. Has nothing to do with wether the turbo is doing its job or not. Some people have different expectations and needs. Non vgts do not fit everyone's style, just like a vgt doesn't fit everyone's as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
To the op, do not get discouraged just yet. There is hardly anyone running much besides stock trucks that do not need a little custom tailoring on the tune file. This is compounded by dual fuelers and a non vgt at 7500'. But absolutely not a big deal for us to work with. May bounce a couple files back and fourth until you are satisfied. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Maybe some tuner will luckily get it right on the first shot, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Especially if you are picky on how you want it to perform. Too many variables to be perfect every time.

Reaction score
Well said Morgan. This is EXACTLY what the OP needs to hear. With a few revisions and (especially) the right information, the truck can and will run as intended.

To the OP- It sounds like Morgan is being MORE than willing to help get your truck straightened out. I suggest you work with him and give him any info he needs to know to allow him to refine your setup accordingly.

Reaction score
To the op, do not get discouraged just yet. There is hardly anyone running much besides stock trucks that do not need a little custom tailoring on the tune file. This is compounded by dual fuelers and a non vgt at 7500'. But absolutely not a big deal for us to work with. May bounce a couple files back and fourth until you are satisfied. But that's the way it goes sometimes.

Maybe some tuner will luckily get it right on the first shot, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Especially if you are picky on how you want it to perform. Too many variables to be perfect every time.

Morgan, thanks for stepping up to the plate and giving your insight to this conversation. I never intended for you to have to do this, that's why I never mentioned your name.

The last time I spoke with Austin I mentioned that I was at a higher elevation, maybe that info was not relayed to you. Not an issue I am sure we are going to get this setup straightened out shortly.

Reaction score
Well said Morgan. This is EXACTLY what the OP needs to hear. With a few revisions and (especially) the right information, the truck can and will run as intended.

To the OP- It sounds like Morgan is being MORE than willing to help get your truck straightened out. I suggest you work with him and give him any info he needs to know to allow him to refine your setup accordingly.

Dallas, you must have not have read all of what Morgan had to say and may be EXACTLY what you need to hear.

"even at best with perfect tuning this may or may not please the OP in spooling at 7500'. Has nothing to do with wether the turbo is doing its job or not. Some people have different expectations and needs. Non vgts do not fit everyone's style, just like a vgt doesn't fit everyone's as well."

And this is my point I may be able to get this setup running as best as possible at my elevation and still not be satisfied because this is not my cup of tea. Like I said before there are plenty of other people that feel the same way. These things need to be expressed so it can be weighed when somebody else is trying to make a decision about non vgt vs. vgt.

I know it seems like I am giving non vgts a bad rap but its my opinion and my experience with my setup. I am sure that this one thread isn't going to change everybody's mind but hopefully makes them think before a $5k+ purchase.

Last edited:

getstroked27

Reaction score
Who's we? I really don't know

Did you mean drive ability?

I don't even know why I am talking to you, if you don't think altitude plays a role in tuning you don't know what you're talking about or you are just being ignorant.

@ 1000 ft above sea level effective O2 = 20.9% @ 7500 ft effective O2 = 15.7%. That's almost a 1/4 decrease in available O2, this just the tip of the ice burg when talking about tuning at a high elevation.

LOL i'm just a nobody..... ask anyone else. They all know me as the nobody. but at the same time, Here's this. 64.5SXE from Baltimore to Salt Lake for UCC last year. Truck never had a single issue. But like Morgan said, revisions do have to be made. 7500 feet is a huge difference from sea level for fueling. Nobody ever said it wasn't, especially me. What I said is that we have had great success with non vgt setups at altitude. even my 6.4 with a 72/87 at 10,000+ wasn't hateful. So again, go through the "hardships and struggles" of having to do some tune revisions. Morgan will be able to make that truck run like it should, and with a little effort, you will have to find something else to complain about online!!

Attachments

• File Feb 22, 2 20 45 PM.jpg
    File Feb 22, 2 20 45 PM.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 107

50_shooter

Reaction score
Yes, it may take a few tunes to get it right at your elevation. Hell I was one of the first ones to run Elite's dual fueler, and let me tell you that was a nightmare because it ran a different pump than everyone else's kit. I bet I had 5 or more different tunes from Tadd, and probably 7 from Morgan both trying to get it not to go into limp mode. Morgan figured that out, but then it was running extremely high rail pressure, to the point of leaking fuel at the injector connection. Morgan got that in line, and I still get a code about once a day that doesn't affect driving. I never really talked to him about that because I was so happy my truck was running good for once that I have been living with it.

I would give him a chance to work his magic, and come back in a month and tell us what you think then. It's not really fair to judge it just yet, since he said he didn't know about the altitude and that it was over fueling. I promise you I was sick the first time I drove my truck and it immediately went into limp mode! But Morgan got it worked out, and I have enjoyed lots and lots of miles with 700 horse at the touch of a button. Also, I tow 15k a lot with this 68, and I just turn it down to stock and it doesn't hardly smoke at all but still has good power. I really think you will be happy when tuned right. FWIW I'm surprised smoke was a problem for you since it's so fitting with your user name!:D

Reaction score
Well, I'll be getting my 11 back soon enough here with a t4 and 64.5 with stock fuel pump and I'm glad to see there's a lot more knowledge about the setup out there then I had initially thought. I could hardly find anything on the setup before I got it but glad to see there's a decent support network. I'm also running at 750' elevation so that should help.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Well, I'll be getting my 11 back soon enough here with a t4 and 64.5 with stock fuel pump and I'm glad to see there's a lot more knowledge about the setup out there then I had initially thought. I could hardly find anything on the setup before I got it but glad to see there's a decent support network. I'm also running at 750' elevation so that should help.

you'll love it .

Reaction score
Yes, it may take a few tunes to get it right at your elevation. Hell I was one of the first ones to run Elite's dual fueler, and let me tell you that was a nightmare because it ran a different pump than everyone else's kit. I bet I had 5 or more different tunes from Tadd, and probably 7 from Morgan both trying to get it not to go into limp mode. Morgan figured that out, but then it was running extremely high rail pressure, to the point of leaking fuel at the injector connection. Morgan got that in line, and I still get a code about once a day that doesn't affect driving. I never really talked to him about that because I was so happy my truck was running good for once that I have been living with it.

I would give him a chance to work his magic, and come back in a month and tell us what you think then. It's not really fair to judge it just yet, since he said he didn't know about the altitude and that it was over fueling. I promise you I was sick the first time I drove my truck and it immediately went into limp mode! But Morgan got it worked out, and I have enjoyed lots and lots of miles with 700 horse at the touch of a button. Also, I tow 15k a lot with this 68, and I just turn it down to stock and it doesn't hardly smoke at all but still has good power. I really think you will be happy when tuned right. FWIW I'm surprised smoke was a problem for you since it's so fitting with your user name!:D

Give me a shout if you have a code! We can take care of it in quick order!

Btw, as good as that thing runs I cant believe it's still holding together.... lol, must be doing something right.

50_shooter

Reaction score
Give me a shout if you have a code! We can take care of it in quick order!

Btw, as good as that thing runs I cant believe it's still holding together.... lol, must be doing something right.

I can't believe it either. I have like 89k on it now, a 703.7 HP dyno sheet(with the AC on, lol), multiple max power sled pulls, 2 sets of toyos burned through, and 8 intact rods so I'd say that your tuning is right for my truck!

Reaction score
So I just got my truck back with mods in the sig with the same turbo setup as op without the dual fuelers running g3arhead tuning and the setup is awesome. I'm at 750' and the big tune cleans up ridiculously quick and pegs my boost gauge with traction control on. Hopefully anybody doing research on this setup and gets this as a google result will know that op just needs some tuning adjustments which are generally free with purchase of tuning.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
So I just got my truck back with mods in the sig with the same turbo setup as op without the dual fuelers running g3arhead tuning and the setup is awesome. I'm at 750' and the big tune cleans up ridiculously quick and pegs my boost gauge with traction control on. Hopefully anybody doing research on this setup and gets this as a google result will know that op just needs some tuning adjustments which are generally free with purchase of tuning.

yeah buddy ! enjoy ! glad you are happy !

Reaction score

I am glad to hear that your truck is running well and the setup is working good for you.

For me I've had a few different revisions on the truck and its definitely better than the first set of tunes I had on it. The egts are much more controllable as well as smoke out put. When just cruising around town its still a little laggy for my liking, but something I am getting use to. I did however get to tow my race car to the track, the car and loaded trailer weigh about 8k. On the highway when set @ 75 it ran very well! I was very pleased with the way it pulled a long 6% grade, never having to downshift with almost no smoke and never getting the egts over 1200. The mpg are a little down, the same trip use to net me almost 16 mpg and now it 14 mpg. So all in all I am pleased with the setup, I am bummed about loosing a little of the fuel mileage and the turbo lag is still there but like stated before its something I am getting use to.

Hopefully soon I will be able to get it to the track and get some times on it. The DA at the track has been really good lately, around 5600' so that should help yield some decent times. Also I heard of a dyno event next weekend so I'll report back with times and power numbers as I get them.

Reaction score
your lag you speak of might just be the nature of a non-vgt setup. I find my setup definitely has lag city driving but I find it very comparable to my old slightly modded 7.3, but it has no problem keeping up with traffic even at 0-2 psi of boost. I just simply changed my driving style and I've been fine. as for mileage, my lieometer is definitely way off but I definitely picked up some mileage, however I drive pretty easy and do the speed limit.

Reaction score
So I made it to the track today and was very pleased....Best run was a 12.15 @ 104.65 and cut a 1.20 60'. That's with a stock trans, stock lpfs and no traction bars. Very pleased with the all out power of this setup.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.