gearhead tunes...

ghohouston

Reaction score
Any of you 7.3 guys not liking matts shifting from 1st to second, or 2nd to.3rd?? I have.a brand new bts and seems to shift too late

under pressure

Reaction score
Well, id call them and have it adjusted, i sent my last chip back 3 times to get it to shift where i wanted.

bad12jr

Reaction score
My 5 and 6 tunes shift great. 4 is good a DD as it holds them a little longer in town.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

ghohouston

Reaction score
Well i drive in my 6th position because it..has most driving power and best shifting. I have single shots so have to have a chip and really cant have truck down

Gearhead

Reaction score
it is holding the shifts too late? is your speedo correct? the economy file (4) should be shifting the gears sooner. This issue is at part throttle only?

bad12jr

Reaction score
That's when I'm in it more after thinking about it. It shifts early at light throttle on mine.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

David N

Reaction score
Mine shifts a little too late. But I wired in a TQ lockup switch, and now it shifts hard like I want it. LOL

Denver

Reaction score
I have a John Wood towmaster and mine shifts fine. Depending on were the throttle position is it can shift funny but overall it shifts quick and firm. Doesn't hold to gear to long or short and doesn't slam into gear.

ghohouston

Reaction score
it is holding the shifts too late? is your speedo correct? the economy file (4) should be shifting the gears sooner. This issue is at part throttle only?

Matt: it seems to shift way too late in econ. Honestly, not 100% sure.about the speedo. I wwnr from a 16 to 18” rim, so maybe could have thrown shifting out of whack? And my truck shifts very firm but doesnt slam either. And aa stated above, very light throttle results in a much shorter shift. But say im getting on the freeway and run up to 24,2500 rpm's, it seems to shift too late unless i back out of throttle

Gearhead

Reaction score
if you are accelerating to get on the freeway, it should be holding the rpms up to 2500 at mid throttle.... if it shifted at 2000 rpms for moderate acceleration, think of where the rpms would end up after the shift.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
^The tuning on that tranny is crazy... why does it not even appear to shift????

Gearhead

Reaction score
Is the trans up to temp when it does that? If the fluid is too cold it wont allow lockup.

bigfords

Reaction score
Matt, my converter doesn't lock until fluid is up to temp either. Is there a way for you to change that, so it locks up even when cold. If so, why not have it lock even while cold? (I have your tunes also)

Rich

ghohouston

Reaction score
had a 15 minute, high idle warm up, then about a 29 mile drive before video... iv'e honestly been wondering if my map sensor could be a related issue, my truck has seemed to always have a funny 1st gear, even bone stock, like seems gutless below 2k in first gear, and gets to 2k really fast, and ive driven upwards of 100 7.3's and never seen another one like mine. I have new injectors, new tranny, tc, and cooler, no boost/exhaust leaks, no codes other than from ebp delete/ebps unplugged/tube deleted.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Matt, my converter doesn't lock until fluid is up to temp either. Is there a way for you to change that, so it locks up even when cold. If so, why not have it lock even while cold? (I have your tunes also)

Rich

Cold fluid is hard on the trans. Beating on it when cold is a double edge sword. On one hand, the converter will slip because electronically it wont lock. On the other hand, besides five other fingers, the slipping converter will.generate so much heat that the fluid will become hot quick. Stock tuning will keep ya in 3rd, iirc, and unlocked at highway speeds. With "most" tuning it seems that you can get into.4th but.still no lock until the.fluid is warmed.

Matt, are the available tunes.for.trucks with upgraded injectors, turbo, and oil still the same? In other words, does a stock, tow, daily driver, econ, race,etc.tune ztill.exist? Or are tunes more user influenced?

David N

Reaction score

Rich

Manual lock up switch. I can lock my trans as soon as I pull on the road. No matter the temperature.

Not saying that I recommend that though. But thats the only way I know.

Latest posts

Members online