Gonna need rods, Stupid question...

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
Well FINALLY have everything and it's all installed. Few issues with the piece that connects the turbo to the down pipe. Jake sent another. Overnighted it even. Now I think I have a tuning issue. When the truck starts it acts like I have the lope idle tune until I rev her up. And at idle the truck shakes big time. Is this normal with my upgrades? And when I get on it she goes good at first but right before second gear I hear a weird noise and kinda slows up. Maybe the tranny slipping? Just got her back today so haven't drove her much. Can tell a huge difference on the highway. Mash her down doing 70 and gets to 100 in no time.

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
They could save you money down the line. There's also Manley, Cunningham, Hypermax etc

I'm not sure what way to go. Buy a used forged block and rebuild it. Pull my motor and put rods in it. I'm not a mechanic so I have to pay for all my labor.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If you're the original owner and haven't changed to forged, you definitely have pmr's.

Have you thought about getting the 468FMW? That's had a lot of great reviews for power and towing.

You should strongly consider saving up for a BTS or at least a BTS valve body and a PI TC.

I stand by my earlier recommendation, also. Saving money now will mean precious little when you're stranded on the side of the highway with a blown motor and an 18K# trailer behind you. Get it done right the first time then you'll have a great truck and peace of mind.

My 03 had FR. There are no givens. I wouldnt assume to have FR in an 01,02, or.03. My truck.was built in fall of 02 and I got it with under 20k on it in 03, late. Buying tuning, I looked and it had forged rods. My 00 does too which is NOT surprising.

TyCorr

Reaction score
What's the average limit on factory forged rods?

Yes....

In 05 you would have heard no number.... In 07 it was 4-something....then in 09 people.were saying 500...now people have gone over 600....

Who knows...tuning keeps changing and advancements are realized all the time. I still think.500hp. But rods have crapped out there.

I personally feel a built trans all things.consistent, will help.forged.rods.break sooner. The tighter trans internals transmit more force into the rotatingbassembly. The crank is weaker than some billet trannys.

Last edited:

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
I guess its just luck, 6.0 stock rods are said to be good to 600, but didn't Shawn hit 1000 on a stock bottom end?

XrayPipeliner

Reaction score
Yes....

In 05 you would have heard no number.... In 07 it was 4-something....then in 09 people.were saying 500...now people have gone over 600....

Who knows...tuning keeps changing and advancements are realized all the time. I still think.500hp. But rods have crapped out there.

I personally feel a built trans all things.consistent, will help.forged.rods.break sooner. The tighter trans internals transmit more force into the rotatingbassembly. The crank is weaker than some billet trannys.

So I should address my rods before my tranny? I just got my truck back today and drove it from West Virginia to michigan. Put it on the 120 tune and it jumps off the line good then I get a hesitation. And it slams into second gear.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Thats what his sig says....you may know more than I but Ive heard that the crank becomes the weak link when you put a race style trans in a truck that is fueled hard. Im under the impression that takes into account upgraded connecting rods.

Given the info we have it sounds like his converter is hanging on for.dear life.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
The block is weaker than the crank. PMR's are weaker than the block.

The stock trans isn't gonna live over 400. A BTS VB and a better TC will give it a fighting chance.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The block is weaker than the crank. PMR's are weaker than the block.

The stock trans isn't gonna live over 400. A BTS VB and a better TC will give it a fighting chance.

Well, yea, I wish that would of came into my head when I was told that. So even with a bedplate you'd throw the block before you broke a.crank?

Come to think of it, dont ever hear about guys with 6.4s or 6L breaking crankshafts either.

My point was, at any rate that the pmrs would break first with a built trans in the mix. I believe the stock trans would handle much less than the pmrs.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
I'd expect to have issues with the stock block long before the crank, with rods and a girdle.

Bed plate is pretty stupid without filling the block, but I'd still expect the block to be the weak link.

And yes, a built trans ought to outlast PMR's.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
Yes he does have a bedplate I think the block is 3/4 filled, but it made 1800hp on 2 turbos, now it has 3.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Just for reference, I knew how to set my 02 to be 8000 pounds +/- on the average pulling scale, and with a new 7.3 crank forgotten on the back floor it was 8150, with everything else set normal.

There's a chit load of dense steel in a 7.3 crank.

Latest posts

Members online