Head gaskets blown...again.

AshevilleEngine.com

Reaction score
Going all the way back to the very first pictures, I would say whoever machined those heads did a really ****ty job.
Just out of curiosity, do you know what brand the heads are? We've had many people call us who have purchased aftermarket heads who have had repeated head gasket problems. We had one guy who had his heads resurfaced (not by us) who went about 2,000 miles before he blew a gasket. He brought the head to us to check and it was already warped about 15 thousandths. I don't think the Chinese castings are as hard as the originals.

AshevilleEngine.com

Reaction score
Thats why i'm wondering if the studs backed out. THe purpose of lube is to allow you to get to a given torque without galling the threads. When you are putting the studs in the block, you are just seating them-not achieving a max torque.
The studs probably didn't back out. There was probably a little oil in the bottom of the hole that kept them from bottoming out. Once the engine got hot, it dissipated and left a gap at the bottom.

sootie

Reaction score
The studs probably didn't back out. There was probably a little oil in the bottom of the hole that kept them from bottoming out. Once the engine got hot, it dissipated and left a gap at the bottom.

how would that make a stud loosen? even if an oil pocket dissipated, the torque would still keep it tight. When you install the studs, you don't tighten them down anyway-just snug.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
Going all the way back to the very first pictures, I would say whoever machined those heads did a really ****ty job.
Just out of curiosity, do you know what brand the heads are? We've had many people call us who have purchased aftermarket heads who have had repeated head gasket problems. We had one guy who had his heads resurfaced (not by us) who went about 2,000 miles before he blew a gasket. He brought the head to us to check and it was already warped about 15 thousandths. I don't think the Chinese castings are as hard as the originals.

They were used OEM heads that were milled.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score

Yea I contacted the person I bought them from but they didn't want to hear it so oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online