Head stud job

Clifford_6.4

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a quote for $5000 for it out the door but I'm wondering my head gaskets aren't blown so what's the point of getting the heads resurfaced? is all that needed? Also should I get all the parts myself or let the shop get them what would be cheaper?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Yeah, no reason not to. Yeah, its costly, but worth it in the long run.

Stroked777

Reaction score
Decking is worth it, the place that did mine I think was around 200-300 to deck and check the heads and hot tank them, and he put in the new springs/retainers, and checked valves too. It's well worth it to make sure they have a flat surface to ensure a good seal and that the gaskets won't blow again

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
If there not cracked and shot, like mine were, you might consider putting in hardened valve seats to keep the cracks from getting worse. I needed new heads, after 140,000 miles.....

B585Ford

Reaction score
Decking is worth it, the place that did mine I think was around 200-300 to deck and check the heads and hot tank them, and he put in the new springs/retainers, and checked valves too. It's well worth it to make sure they have a flat surface to ensure a good seal and that the gaskets won't blow again

Agree but I would also replace the lifters and rockers if you have the heads off especially if the truck has any kind of mileage (especially non-deleted miles)...they are just cheap insurance

sasquatch24

Reaction score
Got her all tore down this morning. Waiting for the valve spring to come in from jared at RCD then the heads are off to the machine shop!

IMG_0710_zpse46f3376.png

RSK

Reaction score
I love the cold side pipe it performs just as good as it looks!

And thanks boss man!

was that the only thing you changed out? it really made that big of a difference in spool up and throttle response? I plan to do the cold side kit anyways, I just feel its going to be like doing a 4" down pipe, very small difference and almost nothing worth noting.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
was that the only thing you changed out? it really made that big of a difference in spool up and throttle response? I plan to do the cold side kit anyways, I just feel its going to be like doing a 4" down pipe, very small difference and almost nothing worth noting.

i thought a downpipe helped a lot on my tune only truck. as for how big a difference the cold side kit is.. its not life changing, but its the best result you are going to get and slight improvements on all things you mentioned including egt.

Clifford_6.4

Reaction score

It helps a few things in small ways but it definitely helped egt

RSK

Reaction score
i thought a downpipe helped a lot on my tune only truck. as for how big a difference the cold side kit is.. its not life changing, but its the best result you are going to get and slight improvements on all things you mentioned including egt.

well I currently don't run any sort of monitoring system, no dash daq, no edge cts. no gauges at all, but I don't tow much of anything with my 6.4 and we don't have any big grades around here. So i couldn't tell you how my truck runs now anyways. my buddy with the 450 did an sdp down pipe and mbrp exhaust didn't notice any difference except as soon as he pulled into a parking spot his egt's were at 350-300 instantly no waiting for the truck to cool down running the spartan 310 tune. as to my truck with gear heads hot street, i need to wait a little for my egt's to cool down even driving easy. stock down pipe and stock exhaust still. I plan to order the cold side kit in a week or so anyways and install just cac if it will connect to the stock intake elbow, to see if I can see the improvement of just that one piece.

It helps a few things in small ways but it definitely helped egt

yah good to know.

Latest posts

Members online