Headers how I love thee

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
In my opinion the best sounding light duty diesel is: a 7.3L with headers, straight piped, and a loud turbo. :D

Not the best bang for your buck performance, but well worth the 1000$ for that ear to ear grin everytime I put her under load. :evil

Would have zero problems shelling out the cashola to DI for them again. Daves excellent customer service sealed the deal when I called. Some might say there is alot more things you can do for a grand. But that distinct sound that sets her apart from all the others was well worth it.

Enjoy
Quick pull up hill
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPFd1h3EDwQ
High RPM Pull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzWwRpgNSig
A bit of coal with a quick burp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrXPPIZmaI
Another Quick pull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gcCDmxGgI4

Homesteader

Reaction score
I was thinking of going with some headers after my engine build but was kinda talk out of it. I know the only gain is sound but it must sound awsome. Diesel Boy did you experience any exhaust leaks?

FORD7.3

Reaction score
That sounds awesome!! got any installed pics to see these beasts?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
i didnt notice a huge sound diffrence over another truck with a big turbo and stacks? what should we be listening for exactly?

Hard to explain really, down low its not too different but as you hit 2000-2500 and on you can hear a big difference in tone. A bit of a big block rap too it. A growl if you will.

And Ford7.3 I will post pics when I get home :D

Homesteader it does help with spool up a little and Dave said it will lower egts a hair and give you a little more upper rpm. I can't say 100% yes cause they went on with the build but for a turbo that size(1.10 a/r) it lights fairly quick and doesn't seem to choke out up top.

I did have one leak but it was a bad gasket.

I will agree for the price its a tad bit of a "status" thing lol. Could of bought big oil almost but too each there own. I'd buy em again.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
I was thinking of going with some headers after my engine build but was kinda talk out of it. I know the only gain is sound but it must sound awsome. Diesel Boy did you experience any exhaust leaks?

Hard to explain really, down low its not too different but as you hit 2000-2500 and on you can hear a big difference in tone. A bit of a big block rap too it. A growl if you will.

And Ford7.3 I will post pics when I get home :D

Homesteader it does help with spool up a little and Dave said it will lower egts a hair and give you a little more upper rpm. I can't say 100% yes cause they went on with the build but for a turbo that size it lights fairly quick and doesn't seem to choke out up top.

I did have one leak but it was a bad gasket.

I will agree for the price its a tad bit of a "status" thing lol. Could of bought big oil almost but too each there own. I'd buy em again.

Headers are not for everybody the same as making fun, clean, crisp power is not for everybody. Simply look at the Sig's floating around and you can clearly see that not everybody that has magic injectors or big turbos makes big power. Headers are an important ingredient in a multitude of parts working together to make a fun responsive truck, that said you either understand how they help or you don't.

Big Bore

Reaction score
... that said you either understand how they help or you don't.

Or maybe we need help understanding. I'm open to learning. My main concern would be longevity on a daily driver. I seem to recall they are prone to cracking after awhile. I'm certainly open to the idea, it makes sense from a flow standpoint. I had headers and pipes on almost every gasser car, bike and truck I owned until my first diesel.

Powerstroke Racer

Reaction score
Or maybe we need help understanding. I'm open to learning. My main concern would be longevity on a daily driver. I seem to recall they are prone to cracking after awhile. I'm certainly open to the idea, it makes sense from a flow standpoint. I had headers and pipes on almost every gasser car, bike and truck I owned until my first diesel.

Headers on a turbocharged diesel application work the same as on turbocharged gas engines, they help light the turbo and help evacuate the exhaust gasses from the cylinders,(we generally see a 500 RPM wider operating range) we have many sets out there on daily drivers with ZERO problems.
** there have been some reports of headers cracking at the welds and some even being warped AFTER they have been removed(some even melted and bent but that is not the headers fault), but when you interject the human factor in you have to accept that not everything is a 100% perfect, not headers, not injectors, not turbos, not expensive built engines not brand new trucks from the factory, not anything man made(well maybe an anvil) point is anything can fail but no one stays in business or keeps selling products if they don't work or last. In the world of high horsepower diesels, people have to accept some responsibility on themselves that there is no such thing as a perfect 100% bullet proof build. If you can't afford to be broke down or out of commission waiting on a repair or replacement part find another hobby or buy a spare backup.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I think once you get to 550+HP every little thing helps, like I said for a turbo this size and with a slightly looser exhaust housing I personally think they helped. Like Dave stated it helps move the gases out quicker, faster with less turbulence.

If you watch the WOT throttle vid (#2) my turbo does from 15-40 psi in almost the same time it does 0-10.

That and I also see 34xx~ rpm now. And it still pulls

FORD7.3

Reaction score
Very well put guys, i see the need for headers, granted im not making giant numbers but the concept still applys for my needs.. air flow for towing.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
any idea what kind of gains you'd see with 238/200s, s476, supporting fuel and oil mods? i Know it'll light quicker but any sort of numbers? how bout gains on that set up with 400/400s?

Latest posts

Members online