Help me fix my EGT issues

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Ever since i have had my truck it seems like the egts have been slightly high. Mods are in the sig, NO boost leaks,NO exhaust leaks, run 800* at 70 mph flat FL roads. Towing a 31 contender i can't keep it in overdrive or else the egts go through the roof, and this is in matts heavy tow tune from gear head. Even out of overdrive it'll sit at 8-10 PSI at 1000-1100* at 65 Mph. It sucks spinning 2600 rpm for three hours to the keys. I'm at a loss here. Im thinink maybe a blockage internally in the intercooler? HELP

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
the 800* is unloaded at 70 MPH, the 1000-1100* is town a 31 foot center console boat down the turnpike at 65 because thats about as fast i cant go with the OD locked out at 2600 rpm

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
no i'm not, once it hits overdrive i cant keep them down. Itll run all the way to 1500-1600. I think ishould be able to tow 10k-ish at 70 mph right?

psduser1

Reaction score
Your a little high on the empty part, for sure, and a little high on the loaded part, but not much.
That's a fairly tall boat?
How much water are you feeding this setup?
Most importantly, have you talked to matt?

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
water? as in water injection? Nothing took the system off cuz it wasn't making a dent at all, yes i've talked with matt a couple times. He said i should be able to zip down the turnpike in overdrive at 70 mph in his two.econo daily tune. I had DP before and actualy towed a lil better but he couldnt get it dialed either :(

POWER-STRUCK

Reaction score
I would assume that your egt probe is defective or intercooler is blocked. have you checked the wastegate adjustment?

DocBar

Reaction score
Ever since i have had my truck it seems like the egts have been slightly high. Mods are in the sig, NO boost leaks,NO exhaust leaks, run 800* at 70 mph flat FL roads. Towing a 31 contender i can't keep it in overdrive or else the egts go through the roof, and this is in matts heavy tow tune from gear head. Even out of overdrive it'll sit at 8-10 PSI at 1000-1100* at 65 Mph. It sucks spinning 2600 rpm for three hours to the keys. I'm at a loss here. Im thinink maybe a blockage internally in the intercooler? HELP
I just pulled a 15K# 5er from El Centro, Ca. to Lufkin, Tx (1500-ish miles) in 110* heat and only had EGT issues in the mountains and when I had a good head wind. By EGT issues, I mean 1300-1350*. And I'm running 250/100's with a chip burned for 400/200's, all Matt's tuning.

You might want to consider taking your IC out and flushing it.

BTW, in El Centro, I would run 800-900* EGT in the summer with a 20+ mph head wind. Hot, windy place, El Centro.

TARM

Reaction score
You say ever since you have had this truck its had these high EGTs. So it came with all those upgrades or did you install those such as the 38R gauges etc? Wondering if you installed the gauges if it was before and even stock it was having the higher EGTs from that gauge sensor set

If water injection does NOTHING to EGTs as your sig suggests then I am with Power-Struck and would question the measuring devices accuracy as water injection if its working correctly basically has to lower EGTs as its physics. how much etc is one thing but no effect is something I can not see happening.

Matt's tunes are know the be some of the best in terms of EGTs. You have no smoke which suggests no extra fuel thus usually lower EGTs. The combo you are running is known to keep egts quite low as a number of people have those exact setups. You have eliminated based on your statements all the things that tend to cause high egts which would also mean more smoke as well which is not there. All this seems to point to the possibility of the readings not being accurate.

You could pull the probe and test the reading against a IR thermometer reading say at its tip and see what you get. Or just swap out with a new probe, check the wiring etc, but it could also be the gauge itself.

Last edited:

Rodslinger

Reaction score
I had the same issues with just about your same set up. I swapped to a different tuner and issue went bye bye.
I would check your up pipes and pressure test the charge side really well first just to make sure you don't have a leak.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I concur with tarm and power struck.. how exactly have you checked for boost leaks? drive pressure leaks are easy to find. have you checked under, and around the backside of the up pipes at the turbo? easy to miss a leak. get a lil extendo mirror and reach back in there and shine a light.. how healthy is your hpop and duty cycle?... when my dually was healthy I could pull my 36 foot fifth wheel that weighs 12k lbs in the hotest tune I have and not have any issues wot up to 115mph and not break 1400° . only issues below 50mph are smoke.. I lock out od then and that's the only reason. yes I know tuners are different but not to many trucks with similar injectors make over 450hp and l used it all the time and anytime I am in that truck.. you have an underlying issue on the mechanical side of things if you are for certain that you dont have any leaks... matts tunes are safe as hell.

TARM

Reaction score
He has Matts tunes I can not see EGTs being a tuning issue in that case as I have never seen EGT issues from Matts tuning that I can think of. It always ended up being a leak or something else.

Swaan

Reaction score
Just a heads up. I bought one of those boost leak detectors that bob sells on diesel site.
For finding any sorta boost leak no matter how small it's the cats ass!!!
For $80 it's money well spent. That's all ya need.
Just goes on the 4" intake of turbo and hook your shop air up to it. It's got a guage on it and everything.
Bam!!! Done.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
I bought the truck with just a super chips, I've every single other mod myself. I've hooked up my air compressor to the intake and pumped her up, sprayed soapy water on the boots, intake manifold etc, nada, no bubbling. Have the international bellowed pipes, no leaks I've checked, low smoke output. Gauges are the auto meter C2 which use the stepper motor movement. I believe it to be accurate. The water injection, was just a aem kit one size fits all type of deal. I don't think it ever worked. I MAY have left one of those blue shop towel paper towels in the intake once because I pulled the intake pipe once and found similar looking fibers in the internal ring thing by the impeller of the turbo. Ohhhh and forgot to add the T500 to my Sig

bruce

Reaction score
Have you ever tried another gauge? I know you've had these problems for a while, but you were told a long time ago to try a new gauge.

Latest posts

Members online