Help with oil analysis results...what's goin' on?!

tbsimmons

Reaction score
Have you thought of using a different oil just to see? If the truck is running good without a lot of blow by, etc. I would try a different oil.
I know my car I have tried many different types when I first built the engine and ended with one based on consistent pressure and temp.

tensixniner

Reaction score
:whs:

I'd try a different oil. May take 2-3 oil changes to see a difference.
Stick with synthetic if you want but use something that has the API logo.
You could also take it to the Ford store and have them run tests with IDS to see if injectors are leaking.

Ronin

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies gentlemen...

Even though the current oil/filter only has 1K miles and only a few weeks on it, I figured I'd pull the filter, dry it out and take a look at it.

That wasn't necessary. With the oil filter aside I took a look inside the housing and there was metallic particulate readily visible on the wall of the housing. Looked like the filter itself was likewise contaminated.

I switch from Motorcraft to the Shell Rotella about 6K miles ago. The tow trip and oil analysis last year after my trip scared the crap outta me. I figured with my extreme service oil change interval, AMSOIL bypass filter (with a FilterMag clamped around it...and I know that AL isn't ferrous!) combined with the synthetic oil that I'd see some sort of improvement...no such luck.

I've known my local Ford master diesel tech for almost 10 years now and we're friends. He helped me build out my 6.0 Excursion and knows how I roll and how obsessed I am about maintenance. His gut reaction was that it was likely a piston issue (5 and/or 8 specifically) and to get out of it before it was too late. He's far from being an alarmist so that's a bold statement.

I've also had the benefit of sampling this truck contemporaneously with my buddy's '08 F350 which I helped him build out. It amazed me that his truck, with 4 to 5 times the mileage of mine, had a fraction of the metals (AL in particular) that mine did. I expected the first sample to be a mess (because of assembly) so that didn't bother me, but I drove it stock for almost 10K miles and it never improved, and actually got worse.

Since it was mentioned, blow by on this truck is minimal, practically non-existent. I had a CCV bypass installed and serviced it regularly, and again, comparing it side by side with my buddy's truck, his blow by was much more prolific than mine, which I expected with the mileage, but his OA was right where I wanted to be.

It sucks. I'm pissed. I started returning it to stock yesterday and pulled off the CCV bypass, DieselSite coolant bypass, AMSOIL oil bypass and reinstalled the stock intake. With the exception of the downpipe about everything else in my sig is coming out...and I'm going truck shopping. I haven't completely written diesels off but you gotta see the look on the bride's face when I mention getting another one (Ford, of course...PLEASE?!)...oh boy!

B585Ford

Reaction score
Thanks again for the replies gentlemen...

Even though the current oil/filter only has 1K miles and only a few weeks on it, I figured I'd pull the filter, dry it out and take a look at it.

That wasn't necessary. With the oil filter aside I took a look inside the housing and there was metallic particulate readily visible on the wall of the housing. Looked like the filter itself was likewise contaminated.

I switch from Motorcraft to the Shell Rotella about 6K miles ago. The tow trip and oil analysis last year after my trip scared the crap outta me. I figured with my extreme service oil change interval, AMSOIL bypass filter (with a FilterMag clamped around it...and I know that AL isn't ferrous!) combined with the synthetic oil that I'd see some sort of improvement...no such luck.

I've known my local Ford master diesel tech for almost 10 years now and we're friends. He helped me build out my 6.0 Excursion and knows how I roll and how obsessed I am about maintenance. His gut reaction was that it was likely a piston issue (5 and/or 8 specifically) and to get out of it before it was too late. He's far from being an alarmist so that's a bold statement.

I've also had the benefit of sampling this truck contemporaneously with my buddy's '08 F350 which I helped him build out. It amazed me that his truck, with 4 to 5 times the mileage of mine, had a fraction of the metals (AL in particular) that mine did. I expected the first sample to be a mess (because of assembly) so that didn't bother me, but I drove it stock for almost 10K miles and it never improved, and actually got worse.

Since it was mentioned, blow by on this truck is minimal, practically non-existent. I had a CCV bypass installed and serviced it regularly, and again, comparing it side by side with my buddy's truck, his blow by was much more prolific than mine, which I expected with the mileage, but his OA was right where I wanted to be.

It sucks. I'm pissed. I started returning it to stock yesterday and pulled off the CCV bypass, DieselSite coolant bypass, AMSOIL oil bypass and reinstalled the stock intake. With the exception of the downpipe about everything else in my sig is coming out...and I'm going truck shopping. I haven't completely written diesels off but you gotta see the look on the bride's face when I mention getting another one (Ford, of course...PLEASE?!)...oh boy!

Good luck. I hope it turns out to be a false alarm. Make sure you let us know what you find out.

Ronin

Reaction score
Truck's GONE...

The readily visible aluminum shavings in the oil filter housing and my buddy whose a Ford diesel master tech telling to run, not walk, from it made it a no-brainer.

I had to do it. Not the least bit happy about it but I needed to cut my losses. It wasn't something that was warranty-able and the way it was looking it was gonna be way too spicy of a meatball for a truck that was gonna start sitting a whole lot more when I get a take-home ride from work shortly.

The good news? Take offs! I'll be posting up about everything in my sig here shortly...

Ronin

Reaction score
Throw me a # on the CCV kit...

Actually I sh!tcanned it...

It fit like poop and it cracked at one of the hose inlets. The bottom of it got a pinhole in it too from rubbing and was leaking too...

I wouldn't GIVE it to someone and have that on my conscience!

Jmoore1225

Reaction score
Lol.... That's nice to know Ronin! Thanx.
How did the spartan CAC pipe fit & what needed to be done to make it fit, any noticeable differences?

blk350on20s

Reaction score
Might be in for the coolant bypass. Could probably tie my wastegate cooler lines into that a little easier

Ronin

Reaction score
Lol.... That's nice to know Ronin! Thanx.
How did the spartan CAC pipe fit & what needed to be done to make it fit, any noticeable differences?

The Spartan CAC and downpipe together made a HUGE difference. EGTs went way down, the turbo spooled quicker and the throttle response was markedly improved. You do have to clearance the radiator support to prevent the CAC pipe from rubbing, but a few minutes with a grinder and you're good to go!

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Boo :( I think I'm in the same boat here.... 120 Fe (Iron) and 5 (Cr) Chromium on my last test, Rotella T6, ~8k (km) but it was my first oil change with new to me truck. I have another 3k on T6 with OEM filters right now and just want to take it in and see what is happening again. Any advice? Thanks!

rstan2010

Reaction score
Could it not be aluminum caused by cavitation of the front cover? I have the same issue but i also lose a tiny bit of coolant as well. My test is attached let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• 10 F350-092412.pdf
    20.1 KB · Views: 48

Ronin

Reaction score
I used Blackstone Labs:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

A Fumoto valve makes taking a sample super easy and minimizes the mess:

http://fumotousa.com/

Oil analysis reports are kind of like dynos though, without a baseline they're not much help. I bought my truck brand new (4 miles), broke it in properly and sampled it religiously, adhered to the severe duty maintenance schedule, didn't tune it for over 10K miles and installed an AMSOIL oil bypass and DieselSite coolant bypass filtration system so I could keep this truck well into the Zombie Apocalypse...

Ran a mild street tune and dyno'd it once. Didn't beat on it...but didn't baby it either. Once the oil and coolant were warm it was game on. I used it for its intended purpose occasionally (towing around 8K pounds for 3K miles at 90% highway speeds for example) which gave me one the worse OA reports I've ever had.

Basically I did it by the numbers and did everything right and the motor still was in the process of self-destructing. Wasn't my first diesel rodeo either, having built my 6.0 Excursion to nearly bulletproof standards (with what was available to do so at the time) and earned a comment from a Blackstone OA report writer that said my 6.0 was one of the best wearing ones that they had ever seen, and I had obviously done it right...

The one thing good to come out of it was because I bought a leftover and the dealer doubled the factory rebate, I basically got to drive the truck for free for the 2 years I owned it. I consider myself fortunate to have discovered my developing issue before it was too late to do something about it...

What happened to me should NOT scare anyone from the 6.4. Sh!te happens, and it happened to me. I was fortunate enough to have my buddy's '08 F350 which I helped him tune, etc. and run OA's side by side with mine and couldn't believe the difference in the way our motors wore. With four times the mileage his levels were a quarter of what mine were...it was incredulous.

Fortunately I was smart enough to listen to some of the people here on the PSA who had ideas and proffered them to help me out, despite some smart azz comments I made (since I know everything). I sincerely hope that no one here ever has to experience what I did and find slivers of aluminum stuck in the oil filter and floating around their oil filter housing. That was a most sickening feeling...

I'm driving a gasser now for the time being, but would I drive a diesel again? Absolutely, likely a '98 5.9 Dodge or a 7.3 withOUT PMRs. Sure the newer engines are efficient and capable of making huge power on relatively short money, but the EPA band-aids on these motors, DPF/DOC, EGR, etc. predispose them to sludging and other longetivity compromising issues unseen on the earlier unburdened motors. I'm not the type of guy who can drive/ride anything in its stock configuration and I'm also not the type of guy who beats the crap out of something and then "returns it to stock" for warranty service/repairs. I'm not in the position to drive a $60K+ truck until the motor blows and then rebuild it the way I want it. And since I don't play PowerBall it's likely to stay that way for a while.

I spent several months making the decision to buy my truck. I was comfortable that some of the earlier 6.4 growing pains had been sorted out and surely thought the mild build approach I took was reasonable, but obviously it wasn't, at least for my truck as innumerable trucks of similar builds have enjoyed trouble-free success. Oh well, live and learn...

Your mileage may vary...and I certainly hope it does!

Latest posts

Members online