HUGE 6.4L build project complete

dmkolb

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the truck. It looks a little different now as it's got fender flares, wheels spacers and all the Chrome is going to be blacked out soon. When I get some updated pics I'll post them up.

Truck3_zpsda2c8c33.jpg

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
Derek, first off let me say, NICE BUILD! Truck looks like a sleeper but everything under that hood says all business. Second, I run an ATS 68RFE in my 700+hp 6.7L Cummins. My ATS has been in there for over two years now and seen multiple track passes and many dyno runs. I've been very pleased with my transmission. I got a lot of the negative hate on my ATS too, but locally my transmission has silenced some voices and I sure hope yours can do the same.

dmkolb

Reaction score
Here's a video of the truck starting for the first time. It's nothing exciting and the sound is never as good as if you were actually standing next to it but here it is.

http://youtu.be/R9_cxp0J9Mo

dmkolb

Reaction score
Derek, first off let me say, NICE BUILD! Truck looks like a sleeper but everything under that hood says all business. Second, I run an ATS 68RFE in my 700+hp 6.7L Cummins. My ATS has been in there for over two years now and seen multiple track passes and many dyno runs. I've been very pleased with my transmission. I got a lot of the negative hate on my ATS too, but locally my transmission has silenced some voices and I sure hope yours can do the same.

Thanks for the kind words. I have actually seen the same thing locally where I am in the last year or so. Glad others are having success with them. Makes me feel a little more confident about me.

Diesel23

Reaction score
nice set up for sure !!, can someone let me know why such a big deal for upgraded uppipes ? verse stock up pipes with bellows added , will they blow ? not enough air flow ? whats the concern

V-Ref

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments. We went with an ATS trans because the shop I use in an autherized ATS installer and handles warranty issues as well. So I could have gone with someone else but shipping a trans mission some where price wise would suck. main reason I didn't end up getting one from Morgan. Plus they made it to handle 1000+ HP so we'll find out. They have the 5 year 500,000 mile warranty and you no longer have to use their controller. They'll cover the labor of removal and installation as well. I'm 5 minutes from my shop so in my case I was happy to go with them.

Uppipes are stock. We did use RCD manifolds on purpose so I didn't have to mess with the uppipes. Maybe that will be a mistake but it's all ready done.

Jarod if you'd like some more info get a hold of me. I have used quite a few RCD parts. I'm excited to see what your turbos are going to do on this setup with the porting. Hopefully we will dyno at BD Dyno days on May 24th.

Great post. I applaud folks that make decisions based on thier own research vs just following the herd. Look forward to hearing how this ATS holds up for you.

6.4strokin

Reaction score
ok sorry if I came off as a azzhole, I understand if you wanting to go with ats because of less of a hassle. Honestly im still scratching my head about the stock uppipes you've spent a lot of money on this build obviously but uppipes are one the cheaper parts of the build but its your money.

sootie

Reaction score
once you have cracked stock uppipes once, the labour to repair is about the same as the cost of HD uppipes in the first place.

the gate may help the stockers live a bit longer tho

dmkolb

Reaction score
I was thinking about upgrading the pipes but then found River City Diesel exhaust manifolds and decided to go with them so I wouldn't have to mess with the up pipes. I never really found any info that said up pipes would help me build more power so I decided against them. I could be completely wrong on this and might have issues with them later. Time will tell.

Crack85

Reaction score
I was thinking about upgrading the pipes but then found River City Diesel exhaust manifolds and decided to go with them so I wouldn't have to mess with the up pipes. I never really found any info that said up pipes would help me build more power so I decided against them. I could be completely wrong on this and might have issues with them later. Time will tell.

Upgrading uppipes aren't for building power....reliability is what they're for....just saying.

sootie

Reaction score
stock pipes cant handle the heat cycles and drive pressure. also the bellows are inferior quality.

they crack....and then you have a laggy truck that stinks like diesel in the cab and potentially burns your firewall insulation. most people like to replace the parts cab on which costs minimum 650.00. the other way is to pull the trans. basically, you do it for insurance...ask me how i know LOL

Martin #6

Reaction score
I noticed some of your pictures you had the Elite CCV system installed, but switched to the Maryland Diesel Crankcase Evac System. Were you having clearance issues with the Elite CCV and the No Limit CAI?

Last edited:

dmkolb

Reaction score
Yep. Cleance issues using Elites CCV and the No-Limit Fab intake. Maryland Diesels CCV helped with those clearance issues.

As for the up pipes if we have issues with them in the future I'll deal with it then. Not going to worry about it until I have to. This very well could bite me in the butt but we will see.

dmkolb

Reaction score
Just an update. Not going to be able to make BD Dyno Days on May 24th. The trucks not going to be broken in enough. Still working out some bugs. We'll be at the Fall dyno event they put on though. Hopefully we'll dyno some time in June and as soon as I do I'll update this thread.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i had the elite ccv and a no limit intake with no issues whatsoever. pretty sure a few others have had no issues either. what were the clearance problems ?

2good2Btru

Reaction score
Just an update. Not going to be able to make BD Dyno Days on May 24th. The trucks not going to be broken in enough. Still working out some bugs. We'll be at the Fall dyno event they put on though. Hopefully we'll dyno some time in June and as soon as I do I'll update this thread.

Not going to be broken enough? How much are you breaking it in, just curious.

Note 3

dmkolb

Reaction score
9_zps3f3a8374.jpg

See the fuel lines coming off the K16 pump? Now see the angle of the air filter the way it would be sticking up through the hood of the truck? So we modded it. Works fine for us now and I have no complaints. I like the way it tuned out.

As for breaking it in I want a minimum of 2000 miles on it before I dyno. It hasn't even broken 100 yet.

Latest posts

Members online