HUGE gains from FICM ONLY tune!

Power Hungry

Reaction score
I know that but how did they dyno higher hp stock at the wheels than the factory put out at the crank is what I wanted to know?

Because even with a stock tune, our truck is not "stock". Our truck has an EGR Cooler delete, effectively rendering the EGR system inoperable. This will account for a noticeable difference in stock numbers. There is also some argument about the Black Onyx Gaskets (which we are running) being thinner than OEM gaskets which may not only change the compression but also valvetrain geometry, resulting in slightly higher stock HP. We are also running Rev-X, which we've already seen to add almost 10 HP. On top of that, we were dynoing on a 48º night. Finally, we are testing on a load dyno which allows for improved turbo spooling during power runs. Add that all up and the stock numbers we pulled are actually pretty reasonable.

In most cases, an otherwise stock 6.0L with a fully functional EGR system will dyno around 280 HP - 290 HP on our dyno. Even our truck dynoed considerably less power on an 85-90 degree day with old oil and no Rev-X.

What it comes down to is this... The actual final power number (stock or tuned) is not what really matters, it's the DIFFERENCE between the two with no other changes to the setup. Even if the stock base numbers are questionable, it does not invalidate the gains between the stock and tuned runs.

I hope this clears up any confusion. :D

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Don't give Rev-X THAT much credit please.........

They have every right to do so, since they have dyno runs to back it up changing nothing but adding REV-X to the truck. However it's probably worth noting REV-X is going to show more gains on a truck that is having greater issues. Not saying their truck did, but it's all relative.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Exactly. SO if you add perfume to crap it will smell good but for only so long. Adding perfume to perfume doesn't make it smell better just smells like perfume.

I'm not knocking PHP but the claims about Rev-X are starting to fall short.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
thats your opinion, i didnt use rev x this oil change and I can already tell a difference in how it runs. This an entirely different debate not for this thread... :thumbup:

Power Hungry

Reaction score
All I'm saying about Rev-X is that it made a difference in our truck. Of course, we also had some minor stiction issues with our injectors and I have the dyno runs to back it up. But again, this isn't about Rev-X so we'll let all that go. I was merely offering an explanation as to why our "stock" numbers didn't seem so "stock", and the combination of modifications could easily account for the higher than normal numbers.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I'd agree the gaskets/compression is the more reasonable explanation of the power increase. We have all seen additives come and go with their claims of fame none that last the true test of time.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
I'd agree the gaskets/compression is the more reasonable explanation of the power increase. We have all seen additives come and go with their claims of fame none that last the true test of time.

Wait a minute... You mean Slick-50 and STP don't do anything? :wtf:

I'm heartbroken! :shocked:

Groovy Chick

Reaction score
Just a side note:

IF you had your FICM reprogrammed by PHP -- either remotely or in our shop -- between January 1, 2012 and February 26, 2012, we will upgrade you to the new Atlas or Hercules Power Tune at NO CHARGE except return shipping! All reprogramming, however, will have to be done at OUR SHOP -- we will not use remote programmers to re-reprogram your FICM, as there are so many customers still waiting in queue for programmers to be shipped to them.

Also, current customers in queue for FICM programmers will be given the opportunity to choose one of the new Power levels when we contact them about their order.

Agjake11

Reaction score
Just a side note:

IF you had your FICM reprogrammed by PHP -- either remotely or in our shop -- between January 1, 2012 and February 26, 2012, we will upgrade you to the new Atlas or Hercules Power Tune at NO CHARGE except return shipping! All reprogramming, however, will have to be done at OUR SHOP -- we will not use remote programmers to re-reprogram your FICM, as there are so many customers still waiting in queue for programmers to be shipped to them.

Also, current customers in queue for FICM programmers will be given the opportunity to choose one of the new Power levels when we contact them about their order.

was the cost of the remote FICM tuning brought up yet? if not id like to get more info on it after looking at these results.

Groovy Chick

Reaction score
The cost will be the same as our original Economy FICM tune - $150. If you'd like to wait for a remote programmer, there is a $250 deposit, which is 100% refundable when the programmer is returned to us without damage. :D

SleeperDuty

Reaction score
would the gains in ficm tuning be the same if the truck already had a tune on it like ex street or race?

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
no the graphs clearly show this, you need larger injectors to benefit more from both ficm tuning and ecm tuning due to the limitation of pw

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Heading back to the Dyno tonight. I will get some graphs comparing the difference between the Modified FICM tuning and Modified ECM tuning so we can see where the specific benefits are. We're also going to run the "Atlas" towing tune and post up numbers for those as well.

Stick around. Gonna be some good info! :thumbup:

alwil

Reaction score
Because even with a stock tune, our truck is not "stock". Our truck has an EGR Cooler delete, effectively rendering the EGR system inoperable. This will account for a noticeable difference in stock numbers. There is also some argument about the Black Onyx Gaskets (which we are running) being thinner than OEM gaskets which may not only change the compression but also valvetrain geometry, resulting in slightly higher stock HP. We are also running Rev-X, which we've already seen to add almost 10 HP. On top of that, we were dynoing on a 48º night. Finally, we are testing on a load dyno which allows for improved turbo spooling during power runs. Add that all up and the stock numbers we pulled are actually pretty reasonable.

In most cases, an otherwise stock 6.0L with a fully functional EGR system will dyno around 280 HP - 290 HP on our dyno. Even our truck dynoed considerably less power on an 85-90 degree day with old oil and no Rev-X.

What it comes down to is this... The actual final power number (stock or tuned) is not what really matters, it's the DIFFERENCE between the two with no other changes to the setup. Even if the stock base numbers are questionable, it does not invalidate the gains between the stock and tuned runs.

I hope this clears up any confusion. :D

It does yes thanks.