Injector Options

Dirt devil

Reaction score
I have tried searching for more info on injectors but didn't find what I am looking for. My HPOP just took a dump and now I should have the injectors inspected/freshened up. However I am thinking that if I am going to spend any amount of money maybe now is a good time to upgrade.

So my question is what would be the largest injector I could get away with without having to install major mods (head studs, big turbo's, etc). The only thing that I will be upgrading from my current setup is a 38R BB turbo. The truck is my daily driver and tow rig.

Thanks Dave

DZL JIM

Reaction score
So my question is what would be the largest injector I could get away with without having to install major mods (head studs, big turbo's, etc). The only thing that I will be upgrading from my current setup is a 38R BB turbo.

That's a tricky question, as you don't have to upgrade anything to run big injectors, other than tuning.

If your question is "What's the biggest injector I can run without needing major modifications like head studs, big turbos, etc, to optimize those injectors?"
Then I'd say with your 38R, add an Adrenaline HPOP and go with Stage-2 AD's. You will be set-up well to run them perfectly and it will really wake the truck up overall.

CurtisF

Reaction score
You can run any sized injectors you want. Just depends on how brave you are and how good your tuner is.

It would be good to know what your power goal is, and how you plan to use the truck. Then you'll get better recommendations. Otherwise you're going to get 50 different answers. There's different injector sizes in overall CC's, then there's various nozzle sizes. And on top of that there's different injector builds (A codes, Hybrids, B codes). Put that all together and you have a ton of combinations to choose from, all with different characteristics, applications, tuning, oil requirements, performance, smoke, EGT's, yadda yadda yadda....... within various RPM and engine load ranges.

Dirt devil

Reaction score
Jim your correct that's what I ment to say W/O needing the extra mods.

Valid point Curtis

Honestly I'm not sure on a hp# I'm not out to win any race just want a great running truck that is a DD and tow on occasion. But I don't want to worry about having to buy more supporting mods as I'm where I want to be other then a new HPOP and In the future a 38BB.

From what I've read thus far PIS 160/30 or 175/80 looks like a good choice.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Since you have an upgraded hpop I would go with the 175/80's. It's really a great do everything injector and is matched perfect sight the 38R turbo. We have done that combo countless times. And with the right tuning every last person has been happy.

mandkole

Reaction score
175/80 would be fine if turned down to keep the clutch happy for awhile. That Luk was fine at 300-330 and those injectors will be at an honest 390-400. The question is, how much do you want to keep working on it? Can you afford it to be down after a mishap from 'runnin thru the gears'? Injector upgrades will tear up parts up as you enjoy this new found powah...

Dirt devil

Reaction score
Ok so now who's tunes do you recommend and can they be used with my current hydra chip?

Dirt devil

Reaction score
OK something else that I am considering is Swamps 175/146 injectors. The reason being they offer free tunes with the injector purchase (I can use my hydra) and they don't charge up front core charges which is a plus as I need to order a HPOP as well.

Anyone that has them what do you think of them?

cbf9703

Reaction score
OK something else that I am considering is Swamps 175/146 injectors. The reason being they offer free tunes with the injector purchase (I can use my hydra) and they don't charge up front core charges which is a plus as I need to order a HPOP as well.

Anyone that has them what do you think of them?

I'm currently running them in my PMR motor and I've been very happy with them with their tunes, so I can't speak for how they would do with anyone else's tuning. Truck is DD an average of 50 miles/day and tows 26' toy hauler loaded with 3 4wheelers (or 20' bumper pull loaded with SxS and 4wheelers) about once a month, 26' boat on occasion, misc loads for landscaping or house projects, you get the idea. I've run some of their smaller sets and currently have their larger sticks in my other trucks. No complaints with any of the sets I've had and they've been great about tuning changes when I've wanted them. You can PM me if you are looking for specific feedback or have a question.

pullandpray

Reaction score
Who needs tunes. IM running PIS 300/200 on a stock pcm. But my truck is a single shot truck. But honestly these injectors a smooth.There are a bunch of tuners out there that will tune your truck for cheap. All in all there would be a deference of like 200 bucks. Heck call PIS and ask if he works with a certain tuner. Never hurts to try. Swamps have great products also, I just know myself and some others that have ran 3 or 4 brands Like PIS. Call him up and ask him about failures and what's covered etc great people over there

cbf9703

Reaction score
Who needs tunes. IM running PIS 300/200 on a stock pcm. But my truck is a single shot truck. But honestly these injectors a smooth.There are a bunch of tuners out there that will tune your truck for cheap. All in all there would be a deference of like 200 bucks. Heck call PIS and ask if he works with a certain tuner. Never hurts to try. Swamps have great products also, I just know myself and some others that have ran 3 or 4 brands Like PIS. Call him up and ask him about failures and what's covered etc great people over there

I'm more of the mindset who doesn't need tunes? :D

There is a difference between cheap tunes and good tunes. Not saying they're mutually exclusive, but not all 'tuners' are created equal. Some people have never met good tuning and just don't know any better (not saying this towards you). :shrug: Then there are others that just have a warped sense of how they want their truck to behave. Friend of mine does his own tuning, I can't stand how touchy his pedal is and his shift points, it's all wrong for me. Just have to find what works for you.

pullandpray

Reaction score
Oh I have ran tuning and I have to run running when I pull my big 5er just having issues with my current tuning and cold weather. Been wanting to get some live tuning from jody but living in the sticks is a real pain

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
I'm more of the mindset who doesn't need tunes? :D

There is a difference between cheap tunes and good tunes. Not saying they're mutually exclusive, but not all 'tuners' are created equal. Some people have never met good tuning and just don't know any better (not saying this towards you). :shrug: Then there are others that just have a warped sense of how they want their truck to behave. Friend of mine does his own tuning, I can't stand how touchy his pedal is and his shift points, it's all wrong for me. Just have to find what works for you.

Funny, injector brands are the exact same way. People still have the mentality that just because the #'s are the same it all works the same.

emev0l

Reaction score

You don't have any custom tuning and you run twin HPOPs?

pullandpray

Reaction score
Yup, no custom tuning as of right now. Like I said I can't tow with it I know that. The truck actually idles and drives and behaves pretty decently. My current tunes on my ts chip do not like anything under about 20 degrees my truck will start bucking and ever thing else. Fuel deserved is very high with that tuner and mileage sucks compared to just the stock pcm so that's what I'm running currently

Latest posts

Members online