Irate s468 install

2000wa250

Reaction score
Problem with this cover is the inlet is 5.5 inches....I've been looking online and can't find many boots that are big enough. If I could find a 5.5-4 I would do that for sure

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I'm trying to avoid switching valve covers. So far I was able to get the boot on the turbo solidly with the CCV there. It isnt easy, but I'll trade the hassle of getting the boot on over the hassle of taking my intake off every time I need to chance the oil and the hassle of getting oil into the fill hole. However, it is my backup to switch the valve covers if I notice any issues. I'm liking that set-up sahara, where does your MAP sensor hook in? I see grey hose going to what looks like a boost fooler, but how does that then go to your MAP sensor? Jakes fuel system looks sweet on your rig! too bad I already had a reg return or else I would have gone with his, the look of the hard lines is awesome.

On another note, how was yours able to fit without removing that third bolt from the back on the drivers side plenum? Mine kept rubbing against the turbo and wouldnt let it line up correctly. I'd love to be able to get that bolt back in, but I talked to jake and he said it shouldnt be a problem not having it attached.

So far I'm like you, I really want to go out and flog the thing and see what shes got, but since i'm not confident in the intake set up I dont want to risk it.

As far as the 6637 vs AFE, my AFE filter is trashed, PO messed it up pretty bad and it has been on my list to replace for awhile. The 6637 has been proven to filter and flow just as well as long as it is clean, and I have a local napa that stocks them and has them priced at only 30 bucks so it would work for me. Eventually down the road I plan to go to a AFE Big Boost filter, but if i set up it to work with the 6637 I know that the big boost will work given they are similar dimensions.

Sorry for the long winded response, just want to get this buttoned up and done.

Oh one more thing, does anyone know if it matters what ports the HPOP Hoses attach into? What about the ICP sensor? Assuming the wiring is long enough is there any reason that the ICP sensor could not be moved to another port and the same wiht the hoses so that a HPx can be used in the stock HPOP hose ports?

Mine fits with the bolt has bout 1/32" of clearance. In that pic the map isn't hooked up. It is now hooked to the second barb on the intake Y. The gray line goes to the regulator and then to the waste gate.

Last edited:

2000wa250

Reaction score
Gotcha. That's partially the difference mine set up doesn't have the wastegate which would explain the extra line. What are you thinking for your intake?

jngreen

Reaction score
Jake told you its okay to not put bolts in the Wide Open plenums? I would seriously consider maybe finding a bolt with a shallower head or one with a flange head and grinding it down a hair to clear.

You sure do seem to love Jake, Captain Callout.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
You sure do seem to love Jake, Captain Callout.

Naw, I just don't wanna see the guy put effort into installing all these parts and have to tear it down to fix it. Try to save people time and the aggravation with different ideas and solutions to the issue

2000wa250

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing that with my exhaust...but my buddy suggested that this might cause an issue with soot particles potentially dusting the compressor wheel

2000wa250

Reaction score
Naw, I just don't wanna see the guy put effort into installing all these parts and have to tear it down to fix it. Try to save people time and the aggravation with different ideas and solutions to the issue

Considering its one of 6 bolts within a three inch area I don't understand how it would be an issue as long as the rtv created a solid seal around the hole. Care to explain how this could cause a serious issue?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Considering its one of 6 bolts within a three inch area I don't understand how it would be an issue as long as the rtv created a solid seal around the hole. Care to explain how this could cause a serious issue?

I've seen a lot of funny things you'd never expect to happen, happen under pressure. You may not even have a problem BUT I for one would never leave that open. I would get a flange head bolt and remove what I had to for clearance and install it. Obviously you can do as you please :D

2000wa250

Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance...but what is a flange bolt?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I dont understand why guys with a 5" turbo intake constantly want to neck down to 4"....

5" Exhaust pipe a couple of elbows and a 5" AFE....

2000wa250

Reaction score
Well for one...if I want to keep the stock placement of the cfc and keep the valve covers on the same sides I have to narrow down to 4". If I could stick with 5" all the way I would. Also 5" is hard to find vs 4" which can be picked up pretty much anywhere. Lastly the fitment between the CACHE pipe and the intake pipe would be extremely tight with 5". But hey if you can direct me somewhere local that has 5" bends or can bend 5" tubing to fit my needs at a reasonable cost im game. Save me from buying another filter.

2000wa250

Reaction score
Again...if I switched vc's then I could get a bung welded into my downpipes and run the cfc straight into that...assuming I could find hose that would hold up to the heat.

Marty

Reaction score
plenums.jpg

Whose intake plenums? They look like the WOP pieces...

...... Where did you buy those plenums?

Thanks Tim. I was wrapped up in looking at blatant plagiarism that I must have missed it

Isn't but so many ways you can make plenums.....

Pretty sure it is actually a little different, look around the base of where the pipe meets the plate. Hell that is all either one of them is, a pipe welded to a plate. Plagiarism? :confused:

Attachments

• plenums.jpg
    plenums.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 139

Marty

Reaction score
Only thing that I have issues with is the compressor housing. I don't believe it could go up an inch and its touching the custom plenum also. Currently trying to figure out an intake system for it

I was saying I have had issues with bolt clearances until Jake moved his T4 up half an inch.

Your kit should already be moved up. If you're using a v-banded compressor housing then I know you won't have an issue with fitment on the head oil plug rails or intake plenum. If you're using some other housing then I can't comment as I don't know.

so here is the intake elbow, without any filter on it. I'm trying to work up something to go from this to the stock filter placement so that I can run a 6637 filter on the end of hopefully 4 inch pipe.

2012-02-07_16-28-58_402.jpg

and this is what I have set up for now, only driving the truck about a mile to work and back until i get the intake squared away.

2012-02-07_16-28-16_507.jpg

any suggestions folks? thinking of getting a couple 45 elbows and a coupler and trying to work something out.

Here is what I do.
IMAG2515.jpg

ill share a few more pics
2012-01-07_17-49-01_432.jpg

oh and i swapped valve covers for that intake boot to fit right
2012-01-06_11-56-03_762.jpg

2012-01-05_19-46-19_54.jpg

2012-01-05_19-46-53_753.jpg

2012-01-05_19-47-19_465.jpg

2012-01-02_18-31-44_399.jpg

I havnt dropped my 275/200's in yet cant wait to see what she will do. Oh and that drain tube was a pita.

I swap valve covers. It gets the CCV on the passenger side venting and the intake is only 2 clamps which can be taken off with a 5/16" nut driver, socket on an extension or a phillipshead. Check your turbo everytime you do an oil change!

I'm trying to avoid switching valve covers. So far I was able to get the boot on the turbo solidly with the CCV there. It isnt easy, but I'll trade the hassle of getting the boot on over the hassle of taking my intake off every time I need to chance the oil and the hassle of getting oil into the fill hole. However, it is my backup to switch the valve covers if I notice any issues. I'm liking that set-up sahara, where does your MAP sensor hook in? I see grey hose going to what looks like a boost fooler, but how does that then go to your MAP sensor? Jakes fuel system looks sweet on your rig! too bad I already had a reg return or else I would have gone with his, the look of the hard lines is awesome.

On another note, how was yours able to fit without removing that third bolt from the back on the drivers side plenum? Mine kept rubbing against the turbo and wouldnt let it line up correctly. I'd love to be able to get that bolt back in, but I talked to jake and he said it shouldnt be a problem not having it attached.

So far I'm like you, I really want to go out and flog the thing and see what shes got, but since i'm not confident in the intake set up I dont want to risk it.

As far as the 6637 vs AFE, my AFE filter is trashed, PO messed it up pretty bad and it has been on my list to replace for awhile. The 6637 has been proven to filter and flow just as well as long as it is clean, and I have a local napa that stocks them and has them priced at only 30 bucks so it would work for me. Eventually down the road I plan to go to a AFE Big Boost filter, but if i set up it to work with the 6637 I know that the big boost will work given they are similar dimensions.

Sorry for the long winded response, just want to get this buttoned up and done.

Oh one more thing, does anyone know if it matters what ports the HPOP Hoses attach into? What about the ICP sensor? Assuming the wiring is long enough is there any reason that the ICP sensor could not be moved to another port and the same wiht the hoses so that a HPx can be used in the stock HPOP hose ports?

I'd get an allen head bolt or something in that bolt hole if you can, if you have to leave it out I am sure it would be fine as the early model powerstrokes came with an 8 bolt plenum instead of the 10 like yours.

I normally install the turbine, the center section and then the compressor. If there is an issue fitting it, I remove the 3 bolts that hold the collector to the pedestal and move the whole thing over to get the cover on. Once it is on, I usually have 1/2" clearance.

Attachments

• IMAG2515.jpg
    IMAG2515.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online