KC Drop in s300 turbine with billet wheel turbo testing

Back woods

Reaction score
Have been towing with my SXE Van turbo quite a bit lately. Cannot say enough good about it. Shut OD off and it sings along with zero effort. One thing I like is when it is under full boost the turbo is barely audible.

KC SXE 60mm Van/70mm/1.15 VS. KC38R 66mm non SXE/70mm/1.0 That is a head to head test I would like to see.

Back woods

Reaction score
I was referring to their journal bearing turbo, the KC66 I guess its called, not their BB turbo. Even so, a comparison to their BB turbo would be cool to see.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I will double check oil type.

But 180/30 are not known to hold ICP on really hot tunes. At least not from anyone I have talked to. Maybe a 3.2 tune... but not a 4.2ms tune. With only a 30% nozzle it is gonna take a lot of PW to dump all the fuel.
Ok.. Any idea what oil temps where?

All i can say is that until i got rid of the rotella, motorcraft, and mobil 15-40s and switched to chevron delo 15w40 it would never hold icp. And i mean like drop to 2600-2700psi I cant say anymore for the chevron since the switch to ck4 though. But i do know that the L.E. 15-40 doesn't shear with heat or longer into the oci like any of what i mentioned.

What was icp dc on those runs?

live life full throttle

LakeBum

Reaction score
Have been towing with my SXE Van turbo quite a bit lately. Cannot say enough good about it. Shut OD off and it sings along with zero effort. One thing I like is when it is under full boost the turbo is barely audible.

KC SXE 60mm Van/70mm/1.15 VS. KC38R 66mm non SXE/70mm/1.0 That is a head to head test I would like to see.

To bad you don't have a set of gauges to see or know how the turbo is handling EGTs

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Oh man - we know it, too. Last year, customers had 160's and this year it's 180's. They're strong, super popular, and oil be like:

fat-kid-throwing-glass-milk-face-1372687860S.gif

Every call is "Hey I'm on ______'s 180's and I need more oil."

That's awesome LOL

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Ok.. Any idea what oil temps where?

All i can say is that until i got rid of the rotella, motorcraft, and mobil 15-40s and switched to chevron delo 15w40 it would never hold icp. And i mean like drop to 2600-2700psi I cant say anymore for the chevron since the switch to ck4 though. But i do know that the L.E. 15-40 doesn't shear with heat or longer into the oci like any of what i mentioned.

What was icp dc on those runs?

live life full throttle

oil temps are usually around 180-190... we let it cool down in between runs to try and keep data consistent

On the big 4.2ms tune ipr jumps to 42 really quick and then slowly climbs up to about 52. ICP spikes to 2500psi right when we floor it, then quickly drops down to 2200psi, then slowly recovers back to 2400psi as rpms climb and the pump spins faster.

On the 3.7ms tune ipr jumps to 38 really quick and then slowly climbs into the 50s. ICP spikes to 2600 right when I floor it, then quickly drops to 2300, then slowly recovers back to 2500psi as rpms climb.

It will hold a 3.0ms tune at 2800-3000psi at 30-35% ipr

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score
oil temps are usually around 180-190... we let it cool down in between runs to try and keep data consistent

On the big 4.2ms tune ipr jumps to 42 really quick and then slowly climbs up to about 52. ICP spikes to 2500psi right when we floor it, then quickly drops down to 2200psi, then slowly recovers back to 2400psi as rpms climb and the pump spins faster.

On the 3.7ms tune ipr jumps to 38 really quick and then slowly climbs into the 50s. ICP spikes to 2600 right when I floor it, then quickly drops to 2300, then slowly recovers back to 2500psi as rpms climb.

It will hold a 3.0ms tune at 2800-3000psi at 30-35% ipr

Is IPR not maxing when the ICP drops out after a spike?

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score
Never gets above 60... I am not a 7.3 tuner, but I believe 45-55 is basically maxed out on the 7.3

Stock (Ford) levels are:

45% on an OBS
55% on a CA
and 65% on a SD

But a tuner will cap it where ever they feel they need to in order to hold the ICP desired. 45% is poop and I would like to think no tuner is keeping it there for an upgraded truck. I know one tuner in particular who bumps it to 95%... probably to set it and forget it sort of thing.

One can assume if you're NOT maxing IPR, the ICP is at desired, unless ICP is being fooled through the tune and then things get more complicated.

I had asked originally because I thought it was weird we didn't see your IPR was maxing to maintain the ICP you were producing. If the ICP WANTED to be higher, you should be maxed IPR right?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I am having the tuner bump it up... looking at the data log, it will get up to about 58-59 but slowly climbs up. We will see if we can squeeze any more out of it.

205/30 hybrids are already here... but we have a lot more turbos to test on the 180/30s before we swap.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Never been asked the question about the speed sensor. It is possible. I would just have to adjust the mold and make a new batch of covers... but not sure there is enough demand for that. I know the SXE covers have a speed port... but I don't even know ANYONE that utilizes it.

It would be helpful if you had a map, but I know you don't. I wonder how close the map of your turbo would be compared to the 366 sxe? Is the compressor housing similar to the BW? It looks like yours is ported differently.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Bumped up the tune to 65% IPR... no change.

Maps are cool... but 99% of guys don't even know how to use them. In fact they attempt to try and understand them to their own detriment. Real world data, dynos, track runs, and actually pulling a trailer through the mountains is 1000x better for our customers. Real world data trumps maps.

ja_cain

Reaction score

Maps are cool... but 99% of guys don't even know how to use them. In fact they attempt to try and understand them to their own detriment. Real world data, dynos, track runs, and actually pulling a trailer through the mountains is 1000x better for our customers. Real world data trumps maps.
I agree 100%. I'm a sucker for useless data though. ;)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

Did you ever figure out the brand of oil?

live life full throttle