KC tp38r... how about some OBS love!

KCTurbos

Reaction score
It is going very well. Everyone that has tried one so far has been very impressed.

We are still waiting on the final design for the intake boot. For right now the boot has to be trimmed a little to fit.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
No dyno/track numbers yet from the tp38r... but lots of guys have been running the KC38r which is basically the same turbo for the superduty trucks. With superduty intercooler it cleans 238/100s up to nothing. A lot of guys are also running 250/200 and say it also cleans them up very well.

Lots of guys have switched from both the gtp38r and d66 turbos and love the results. Quicker spool up, cooler egts, more power, etc.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Most drop in 66mm OBS turbos are failures.... Almost all of them are lazy and have high EGTs.

Hopefully this is the final fix for that issue, it would be nice to have an OBS option as a drop in.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
They are officially for sale, but only by special request because of the trimming required on the intake boot. Its really not that big of a deal but it is a turn off for some guys.

As soon as I get some sample boots back... HINT HINT if you are reading this... I will get the final boot made and officially release them.

79jasper

Reaction score
A boot would be nice.
I have the same wheel/housing on mine.
3.5" inlet? I had to buy a hose from silicone intakes. It's not perfect, but will work.
Problem is it's so close to the head with the larger inlet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

97f350stroker

Reaction score
They are officially for sale, but only by special request because of the trimming required on the intake boot. Its really not that big of a deal but it is a turn off for some guys.

As soon as I get some sample boots back... HINT HINT if you are reading this... I will get the final boot made and officially release them.

Do you guys sell bellowed up pipes for the obs trucks? I'm selling most of my stuff and going with a little smaller set up and was thinking pretty hard about trying this turbo out.

MeTo

Reaction score
Subed, Charlie do you plan on posting some numbers from the testers? I will commit if the turbo performs as well as it looks? My truck spends a lot of time on National Forest roads, so I would be interested in a scruffy casting option. I will be sending my HPOP off to be messaged into a T500 soon. That would be a good time to install a turbo. I will also be switching my current smoky tunes to Bill's, I have not been able to get in touch with him yet. I would be interested in who's tunes have been used with this turbo and how well they play together? Maybe a phone call?

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Subed, Charlie do you plan on posting some numbers from the testers? I will commit if the turbo performs as well as it looks? My truck spends a lot of time on National Forest roads, so I would be interested in a scruffy casting option. I will be sending my HPOP off to be messaged into a T500 soon. That would be a good time to install a turbo. I will also be switching my current smoky tunes to Bill's, I have not been able to get in touch with him yet. I would be interested in who's tunes have been used with this turbo and how well they play together? Maybe a phone call?

Is terminator back up and running?

KCTurbos

Reaction score

We have not had any "data oriented" testers/customers. Everyone just says how happy they are and how great it runs. A lot of them came from a D66 version of a turbo.

So far it runs exactly the same as the KC38r for the superduty trucks, which is to be expected because it is basically the same turbo with the same specs, just made to drop into an OBS truck.

Builds around 35-40psi of boost, but with lower back pressure than the garrett 38r. Some guys with bigger injectors are holding 45psi.

Cleans up 238/100s to nothing, even some guys running 250/200s say it does a great job cleaning them up. (this is assuming you have an intercooler)

Tows great. We have only had once customer have issues, but he was trying to pull a 12k trailer up a hill at 1800rpms, he did not like to downshift and tow at 2500rpms up hill because he thought it would hurt his motor. He was also unwilling to go over 1/2 throttle while towing which put him in a weird part of the tuning tables.

We had a local customer here in AZ install one just this week and he loves it. Spools much better than stock, but just pulls harder. He is running stock injectors with NO intercooler.

We are officially selling the turbo. We are just struggling with the intake boot. Looks like we are going to have to design 2 separate boots. One for the plastic SD ccv tube and one for the Metal OBS ccv tube. We did not realize that so many guys swap to the superduty CCV and intake boot. So at this time the only customers buying the turbo are willing to do a little tweaking on the intake tube.

MeTo

Reaction score
We have not had any "data oriented" testers/customers. Everyone just says how happy they are and how great it runs. A lot of them came from a D66 version of a turbo.

So far it runs exactly the same as the KC38r for the superduty trucks, which is to be expected because it is basically the same turbo with the same specs, just made to drop into an OBS truck.

Builds around 35-40psi of boost, but with lower back pressure than the garrett 38r. Some guys with bigger injectors are holding 45psi.

Cleans up 238/100s to nothing, even some guys running 250/200s say it does a great job cleaning them up. (this is assuming you have an intercooler)

Tows great. We have only had once customer have issues, but he was trying to pull a 12k trailer up a hill at 1800rpms, he did not like to downshift and tow at 2500rpms up hill because he thought it would hurt his motor. He was also unwilling to go over 1/2 throttle while towing which put him in a weird part of the tuning tables.

We had a local customer here in AZ install one just this week and he loves it. Spools much better than stock, but just pulls harder. He is running stock injectors with NO intercooler.

We are officially selling the turbo. We are just struggling with the intake boot. Looks like we are going to have to design 2 separate boots. One for the plastic SD ccv tube and one for the Metal OBS ccv tube. We did not realize that so many guys swap to the superduty CCV and intake boot. So at this time the only customers buying the turbo are willing to do a little tweaking on the intake tube.

That is some good news, thanks. What would you think of 160/146s, T-500, Bill's tunes and your turbo for a light (~3000 lbs) tow truck? Basally, no smoke and can handle some mountains and altitude.

Latest posts

Members online