Let's talk lockers

powerlifter405

Reaction score
When turning, the outside wheel is essentially unlocked and is allowed to rotate faster than the diff. If you throttle it up enough, it'll engage and you'll have a 50/50 split between the wheels which will cause some extra tire wear on both side.

I've got a Detroit No spin in the rear end of my '86 Chevy and a TrueTrac in the front and have been very pleased with the performance. That said, I can definitely feel the locker in the rear while on the road, especially while making sharp turns. Sometimes it catches and keeps both tires tied together (seldom, but it happens), but usually it just creates a jump and a small chirp when the trans shifts during a turn. This could be because I've got a hopped up trans that shifts quite firm, but I'm not sure. My Chevy is a long bed single cab, so not quite as long as a crew cab Superduty, but it's close. Every once in a while, the rear end will bind up in reverse and jump and pop VERY loudly (to the point where I thought I blow it out the first time it happened). I've been told that this will happen from time to time, and I'm used to it now, but it still makes me cringe when it happens (twice a year).

In my Ford, I've got a TrueTrac in the rear and have been very happy with it. I no longer spin a single tire in the rain and have very much improved offroad performance. That said, I'm considering putting a locker in the front just to maximize everything and still have very nice road manners. I don't take this truck off road all that much, but Powerlifter, I really hate being stuck in a ditch in a big 4X4 truck. Not sure when I'll have extra $$ laying around for the front locker, but it's definitely on my list of things to do.

Mine never had issues BUT my hearing sucks however I never felt any issues. I guess i'll take the occassion click or pop IMHO.

Randys flat out talked me out of the NS in the front. A TT is good but the selectables are best. Driveability of an open or LS (brand dependant) but 100% for wheels straight.
I know being stuck in a ditch sucks. My situation was rather embarassing :doh:

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Trutrac will be going in my 08 this spring hopefully, had before and loved it. For pavement, towing and light offroad I vote the TruTrac, I have Jeeps for real offroading and would go air locker in the front and Lincoln'd the rear to be cheap but works great. Have sold numerous locker options to customers, air lockers are nice from a control standpoint but you need air lines, compressors, tanks, etc..

LockRights tend to chatter a lot in corners, not only can you hear it you can feel it so no thanks on my pavement daily driver that sees a little off-road. Had Auburn's before, don't want to service my rear end after thrashing on it, which is why I will typically stay away from the rebuildable & clutch style units. Blown up my fair share of G80's too :)

Someone was looking for the Trutrac video, here is a few I like if you haven't found them
Eaton's Videos;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTXvH3T8Bsg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDf5DxOnAI

Dodge on Ice someone was talking about, starts at 3:50ish, the mudders aren't helping his ice traction;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LiKCjHG59g

Old Rover, TruTrac's front and rear. GREAT example about moving the power over if you have one wheel in the air or one wheel is not getting power transferred to it;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uwpNpvsshQ

Old Rover w/ TruTrac vs Old Rover w/o TruTrac, same hill;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=366t8uQfMZY

Wavetrac is another we use in our sports and performance cars, they are starting to get some SUV & truck applications and are also a helical gear style unit, no maintenance and no chatter. And they work under a no-load situation (wheel lift).
http://www.wavetrac.net/technical.htm

Last edited:

TexasA&M

Reaction score
Randys flat out talked me out of the NS in the front. A TT is good but the selectables are best. Driveability of an open or LS (brand dependant) but 100% for wheels straight.

What was the reasoning for not putting a locker in the front? I know that steering sucks sometimes, but I figure I don't need it that often, but when I do, I do, know what I mean? I've also thought of putting a True Trac in the front so that driveability is still good, but I've got more (usually quite a bit) traction than an open diff. I have been very pleased with the True Trac in the front of my Chevy; steering feels no different than it did with an open diff. I don't wheel it that hard, but I know that I'm highly capable when I need to.

cowboy420smoker

Reaction score
The reason i asked was because i installed a detroit tru trac .It lasted about eight months. I ordered another tru trac from eaton. They don't look any thing alike. The detroit is a sealed locker. The eaton you can see the clutch packs. The detroit seemed to lock quicker and stay locked. I don't know if the eaton stays locked all the time.

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
The reason i asked was because i installed a detroit tru trac .It lasted about eight months. I ordered another tru trac from eaton. They don't look any thing alike. The detroit is a sealed locker. The eaton you can see the clutch packs. The detroit seemed to lock quicker and stay locked. I don't know if the eaton stays locked all the time.

Eaton/Detroit the same, are you SURE you have a TrueTrac? There is no clutch packs in a truetrac, so if you see clutches and packs of stuff, you have a different locker/assembly.

This is a truetrac (solid case with gears inside);
pct_338422.jpg

pct_298553.jpg

4x4given

Reaction score
Ahh so there we go! Now I feel like a d$ck when I was trying to be an a$$ :naughty:

Email Eaton as there might be an app that just isn't listed yet. They got back to me in just over a day.

Good luck.

ROTFLMAO!!! No problem, friend. Wasn't taken that way at all.

cowboy420smoker

Reaction score
That was the first one i broke in the picture. I cant find the box the eaton came in. I was pretty sure it said tru trac on the box. That is why i asked.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
I have wife approval to fix up my everyday truck, but I can't buy a dedicated off road rig... Go figure. Answer = ARB air lockers. Totally open for street driving, totally locked for on the trail (or snow) at the push of a button. My truck is not as pretty as many others, not built for looking cool. (what do I care, I'm old) I actually going off roading in her. Times come when you get in a twisty section and one tire has no traction. Rear locker has made a big difference so far, and the front one goes in Friday!:) Can't wait 'till I get to try her with BOTH ends locked!

powerlifter405

Reaction score
What was the reasoning for not putting a locker in the front? I know that steering sucks sometimes, but I figure I don't need it that often, but when I do, I do, know what I mean? I've also thought of putting a True Trac in the front so that driveability is still good, but I've got more (usually quite a bit) traction than an open diff. I have been very pleased with the True Trac in the front of my Chevy; steering feels no different than it did with an open diff. I don't wheel it that hard, but I know that I'm highly capable when I need to.

IIRC it was basically it will be a bitch to steer when in 4wd and if your on pavement when snowing or something similar it's really hard on the front end. Being in Minneapolis w/ the huge quantity of snow we seasonally received plus I didn't want to use my 28K truck as a mud toy, the NS in the rear was more than ample.

At least w/ the TT in the front you get the benefit of increased traction over a fully open diff.

If money was no object I'd go selectable but often it isn't. I have never had one in the front and if you had good luck w/ it then in all honesty you have one up on me for making that decision. I'm hearing more and more about them doing well in the front and 560 bucks VS almost 900+ the lines, air source etc.. I guess that makes sense if you're only gonna need it a handful of times. You can basically double your cost w/ the selectable but I understand why, when money allows, to go that route.

What type of chevy was it in?

ROTFLMAO!!! No problem, friend. Wasn't taken that way at all.

:blitzed: Update the thread if you find any options. Your situation seems unique and I'm betting there will someone in the same shoes looking for help someday and your score might help someone else.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
This thread as been very informative so far. And has me leaning towards a no slip for the rear end of my 250. I was almost embarrassed a couple weeks ago when we had all the ice when I was in four wheel drive an couldn't hardly back out of my parents drive way, which is level btw. An my dad happened to be in my moms 2wheel drive suburban laughing lol he thought I was jus playing around at first.

May also consider something for the front too, not sure though.

What's out there as far as electic lockers go? And do they hold up well? I know the one that's in the rear of our stock 6.7 seems to work well. Only disadvantages I see would be if wire gets chaffed or pulled into you are screwed. I definitely think the ns is the best for the rear though but just would like to know what's out there an have a few opinions.

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
What's out there as far as electic lockers go? And do they hold up well? I know the one that's in the rear of our stock 6.7 seems to work well. Only disadvantages I see would be if wire gets chaffed or pulled into you are screwed. I definitely think the ns is the best for the rear though but just would like to know what's out there an have a few opinions.

The reason were talking about the truetrac and no slip is because of the design of the e lockers. When they are unlocked only 1 wheel is being sent power instead of both wheels like these models.

cw96stroker

Reaction score
Yes I understand that, an yal have done a great job of explaining how both work in several different situations.

Ok when the elocker I unlocked you have open diff, I get that, an then when you lock with s switch slash button, it's a locked no slip diff correct? I'm just asking what peoples opinions are on them, like how they hold up or ever left anyone stuck.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
Lot of weight over the front end already. I plan to wheel pretty hard. That's why I'm getting a front locker as well. If I was just thinking snowy road traction, limited slip would do for the front. IMHO

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Lot of weight over the front end already. I plan to wheel pretty hard. That's why I'm getting a front locker as well. If I was just thinking snowy road traction, limited slip would do for the front. IMHO

That right there... ^^^^^^

That weight will break stuff. If someone is really doing some serious off roading, camping out in the middle of BFE, etc.. then the NS or better yet the locker up front is the way to go. No one will like the cost and headache to get a 8000lb unstuck in the middle of nowhere.

If you're beating the city street, dealing w/ snow and crossing bar ditches in the winter, the NS-rear and open front or NS-rear and TT-front and you can have an inexpensive do most whatever you want to do besides Moab, 4 ton truck. Really w/ the lockers, $$ does play a part I have to honestly say.

I doubt I'll TT my front but I've eaten my words before BUT the NS-rear has done everything and more that I've asked over the years.

Guys, a lot of this will come down to need/want vs real use vs cost. Do the calculations for your realistic usage then do the $$ math and make a decisions. Which ever you choose, it will be leaps and bounds better than the factory LS pos.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.