Looking for a 500hp build

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
Better means so many different things to many different people.

If your worried about destroying the turbo... it's better because it's rebuildable.

If you want a billet wheel to come with the turbo..it's better because it does.

If your looking for more air than the 38r without going to a t4 set-up..it's better because it outflows the 38r.

If your looking for piece of mind and want a warranty on a turbo..it's better because it's offered with one.(run our tunes..get the warranty)

If your looking for a quieter turbo than the 38r..It's better because it is

If your looking for someone to stand behind a product..it's better because you guys know we will. (it's been tested and used on our own trucks)

If your looking for a cheaper alternative than the 38r..it's better because every member on PSA get it for 1250.00

This is a really good sales pitch.

511/966 with P.I.S. 300/200....38r

596/1119...Brute 66..no other change..not even tuning tweeks.

But this is a great sales pitch. The #'s never lie.

thuglike

Reaction score
Thanks for the individual replies. Thats helpful.

One on question... The "My Option" what would your's be? I had the best luck and performance with a 42r. I know every inch of that badboy. I know what it will and will not do in every aspect. I was also lucky enough to be able to afford one and didn't mind wrenchin'.

What you suggest the standard/normal boost #'s be run to live a long life? 35-45 is the sweet spot..through track and dyno testing 50-55 is no problem.
I would not go higher than that. but we maintained a 1:1 ratio
at 42lbs

On the HP #'s, how does/would it perform in a stock or AC's application?
Quite snappy....the stocker is still ideal and the 38r may be crisper down low but the 66 comes to life at the lower mid range and up.

thuglike

Reaction score
Really? That does seem pretty good! I might head that route here in another year or so. Does it look stock like the 38R does? Id like to go for the stock look for the Work Stock class.
Also, how is it for sound?

Yes...no tech guy would be able to tell.

TyCorr

Reaction score
No billet wheel in the 38r..sorry for not making that clear

Im not trying to weight either side and would like to know for sure but I swear my egts are a little worse cruising with the billet wheel and my setup. My truck with 35's and 3.73 gears is not comfortable in 4th gear at 55-60mph. If I stay in3rd its cool up until 60mph @700° or less. With the stock 38r wheel it would seem to drift up to 750ish once od engaged. With the billet wheel my egts get up over 800 once it drops into od. Tune changes have zero effect.

The testing would be to verify or.disprove my thoughts. But with me driving the same truck for 250k+ its pretty familiar what it will do. I did have one boot with a hole in it but replacing them all Im only 50° cooler, which is something, but to me that hole wasnt detrimental.

Sorry for derailing the derail.

Jason, i had weighex the 42r and there was something smaller but larger than the 38r. 40r? I cant recall but i was worried about my lack of fuel.

bigfords

Reaction score
Do you have any track times with the two different turbos, 38R vs Brute66?

Jason

Reaction score
Brute 66 sounds like a legit option. Would tuning tweaks take care of any low-end off idle lagginess you may notice vs a stock gtp38, or a 38r?

I'm just tossing ideas around in my head, that for a rebuildable quieter turbo, a guy could run it on stock injectors, have more airflow, lower egt's, no surging etc, and better throttle response/spool than a 38r, and then later, if he decides to go to a 250 or 300cc injector, he doesn't have to worry about switching turbos, or mounts up. Would seem this could become a very popular, multifacet setup for the 7.3 world..

PABowhunter

Reaction score
Hey Jason, what do you guys normally recommend for someone like the op (in the 500 hp range) if money wasn't an issue in their build. Still go with your Brute 66 or would you steer them towards your 468 kit?

thuglike

Reaction score
Hey Jason, what do you guys normally recommend for someone like the op (in the 500 hp range) if money wasn't an issue in their build. Still go with your Brute 66 or would you steer them towards your 468 kit?

It all depends on the customer and his/her goals for the present and future.

If the customer only wants to stay in the 5-600 area we recommend the Brute 66...If they are looking to grow it's all t4. The nice thing about the forums is there seem to be more educated guys calling or at least guys with better thought out plans.. so it's really up to us to make sure you guys get what your looking for.

thuglike

Reaction score
Brute 66 sounds like a legit option. Would tuning tweaks take care of any low-end off idle lagginess you may notice vs a stock gtp38, or a 38r? No doubt

I'm just tossing ideas around in my head, that for a rebuildable quieter turbo, a guy could run it on stock injectors, have more airflow, lower egt's, no surging etc, and better throttle response/spool than a 38r, and then later, if he decides to go to a 250 or 300cc injector, he doesn't have to worry about switching turbos, or mounts up. Would seem this could become a very popular, multifacet setup for the 7.3 world..
We like to think we bring an option for guys lookin to save some coin and time.

TyCorr

Reaction score
1.15 non-gated

Ive seen and heard of.cases where that setup actually lowers performance. It was fairly well-documented here a bit ago. I could see it being useful on a sequential setup though to keep bp in check.

Keep in mind I dont know.shti,lol! :cheers:

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
To expound, my 38r is dead quiet with a billet wheel.

I only paid 1275 shipped....

No pissing contest, just saying. I do find a souped up turbo like that appealing however. I just wanted a bb turbo and never planned on changing pedestals and uppipes. But did anyway :doh: :D

Depending on how the 250/200s work out for me(thanks for the nice sitdown on choosing, it helped immensely) i have a trick up my sleeve for the 38r to flow a lot more air.

Ive seen and heard of.cases where that setup actually lowers performance. It was fairly well-documented here a bit ago. I could see it being useful on a sequential setup though to keep bp in check.

Keep in mind I dont know.shti,lol! :cheers:

Not to derail to bad here
but what is your plans " up your sleeve" for the 38r

TyCorr

Reaction score
There's a reason its up my sleeve. I wanna make sure I dont ruin a 1400.charger before I say anything. Use your imagination, its not tooooo hard.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
I catch your drift, I was just curious since I thought I read somewhere that you were staying with a more mild injector

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.