Looking for a 500hp build

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Ive seen and heard of.cases where that setup actually lowers performance. It was fairly well-documented here a bit ago. I could see it being useful on a sequential setup though to keep bp in check.

Keep in mind I dont know.shti,lol! :cheers:

As much as I'm far away from being a PHP fan even remotely I did read their data on the GTP 38R w/ the 1 VS 1.15 housing and how the 1.15 performed worse across the board.

I do not recall the injector size but none the less I found it interesting.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Quite snappy....the stocker is still ideal and the 38r may be crisper down low but the 66 comes to life at the lower mid range and up.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what I will ever do w/ mine but its nice to see more options coming available, especially drop in that are cost competitive.

Yep the GTX4292r is a nice unit. I've thought about using that as my atmo if I was ever to go compounds.

TyCorr

Reaction score
As much as I'm far away from being a PHP fan even remotely I did read their data on the GTP 38R w/ the 1 VS 1.15 housing and how the 1.15 performed worse across the board.

I do not recall the injector size but none the less I found it interesting.

Jason Seay's truck. 250/200s, 38r with billet compressor wheel, walbro w/reg return 603hp. Dyno lying? Idk...before the billet wheel in the 38r it dynoed 566.

Dmstruck-i was going to run a 175 agin or a 200cc hybrid but for the same price i get a 250/200. No point in buying a less.versatile injector for the same price :shrugs:

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Jason Seay's truck. 250/200s, 38r with billet compressor wheel, walbro w/reg return 603hp. Dyno lying? Idk...before the billet wheel in the 38r it dynoed 566.

Dmstruck-i was going to run a 175 agin or a 200cc hybrid but for the same price i get a 250/200. No point in buying a less.versatile injector for the same price :shrugs:

I hear you on the injectors, ill be shopping once we drop the forged rod motor in. The black friday sale at PIS was very tempting

powerlifter405

Reaction score

They did some testing on just the wheel and I'm guessing thats the info? Do you remember what the actual sheet looked like? Was it a spike at the end or across the board improvement?

I want to say the thread I read was related to the housing swap only but I can't recall.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
AHHHHHH sorry.........

Compressor side 66mm billet
Exhaust side..same as the 38r and just about every powerstroke turbo

So all thats really that different between the brutte and the 38r size wise is the 1.15ar exhaust housing? Im assuming the brutte has a ported comp housing identical to the 38r? And the 38r had the stock cast wheel and you didnt try a billet wheel in it when it was on the dyno to compare to the billet wheeled brutte?

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
They did some testing on just the wheel and I'm guessing thats the info? Do you remember what the actual sheet looked like? Was it a spike at the end or across the board improvement?

I want to say the thread I read was related to the housing swap only but I can't recall.

No, the dyno graphs both looked the same. They were flat until the 2krpm range and then climbed for 1100rpms and then started going back down. I would think it was tuned on the dyno so in a way it probably was a "dyno tune". I mean Bills a tuner so it was probably near impossible to not screw with the tuning but i asked him if all those runs were one tune and they were. I mean changing from the stock 38r wheel to the billet one and gaining 36hp is pretty telling.

I have heard the horror stories but Bills tuning has been kickass for me. And ive tried ALOT. I had six chips at one point. Ive got three now and two have php for two different injector sets.

TyCorr

Reaction score
So all thats really that different between the brutte and the 38r size wise is the 1.15ar exhaust housing? Im assuming the brutte has a ported comp housing identical to the 38r? And the 38r had the stock cast wheel and you didnt try a billet wheel in it when it was on the dyno to compare to the billet wheeled brutte?

live life full throttle

I dont want to put the boxing gloves on over this either, but how is one any better than the other? They're identical if you put all the same parts on them and one has a bb center section. I dont have much faith in the 1.15 housing doing a bit of good on a 38r or a stocker with stuff swapped around. Seeing the dyno runs that were done by Bill and done literally to test compressor wheels against each other and also the turbine housings as well.

The best was a 66mm billet wheel and a 1.00wg turbine housing. The 1.15 lost boost across.the board and actually pulled ten hp out of the max.

Im not sure if the wg kept everything happy in the higher boost areas or if it just physically works better. If I recall that dyno testing the 38r only hit 40psi give or take on the 600 hp run. It was five or six lower with the cast wheel.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I dont want to put the boxing gloves on over this either, but how is one any better than the other? They're identical if you put all the same parts on them and one has a bb center section. I dont have much faith in the 1.15 housing doing a bit of good on a 38r or a stocker with stuff swapped around. Seeing the dyno runs that were done by Bill and done literally to test compressor wheels against each other and also the turbine housings as well.

The best was a 66mm billet wheel and a 1.00wg turbine housing. The 1.15 lost boost across.the board and actually pulled ten hp out of the max.

Im not sure if the wg kept everything happy in the higher boost areas or if it just physically works better. If I recall that dyno testing the 38r only hit 40psi give or take on the 600 hp run. It was five or six lower with the cast wheel.

Im not trying to argue or say its not better or worse.. im just curious cuz I know that when I first got into powerstrokes as a newb and I had a 38r on the truck I would be saying I need the brutte cuz its that much better but if they are similar with a billet wheel all I would have needed to do is swap to that wheel.. now if I didnt have a 38r then hell yes its a no brainer on what to buy nowdays. Especially with the warranty and the cheaper price and it has all the mods done already...

I absolutely love the spool up of my 38r though.... I dont think thats even comparable though do to it not having the 1.15 ar housing.. I do belive that its possible to benifit the 38r with tuning changes when swapping to the 1.15ar housing though. But without somebody trying it, I woukdnt know... thats one reason I belive the brutte has better topend then the 38r..

Would really like to do all the mods to a van turbo as the brutte and see what gains there would be since the turbine is a couple mm bigger..

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Agreed^

But getting to 600 either way, arent we splitting hairs? I mean the 38r did it. Their jb 38r clone did. Bottom line: 250/200's with proper oil, fuel, and air can be made to put out near 600hp. Port the heads and throw a cam in and possibly more. Although once you port the heads and cam it, a larger charger would.be "better".

Oh and that crap I texted you about Jake, was a couple things compounding. My damn gp relay leads werent tight, my hpo reservoir was leaking ever so slightly allowing prime to bleed down overnight, and apparently my icp.sensor was on the fritz(it did have oil in it). Addressed those three Friday night and it is smooth as silk again. Starting has improved drastically. I may have to use a gasket if the.grey death isnt sealing the reservoir. Too cold to really dick with now.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Agreed^

But getting to 600 either way, arent we splitting hairs? I mean the 38r did it. Their jb 38r clone did. Bottom line: 250/200's with proper oil, fuel, and air can be made to put out near 600hp. Port the heads and throw a cam in and possibly more. Although once you port the heads and cam it, a larger charger would.be "better".

Id really like to see the track times on that 600hp 38r though.. not trying to argue bills dyno but everyone and there brother knows that dynos arent the tell all final hp number.. good for tuning and measuring gains.. hell, sometimes the track isnt the best. My one mph run put me at 470hp but that was in 2wd and I broke loose. The rest of my runs where in 4wd and I lost mph but gained et and I think those put me a little under 470hp.

live life full throttle

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yep, but when a track isnt used the dyno will have to do. Thuggy did over 7 with the same size injectors and a 42r.

And dynos are pretty good data if its a dynojet 248c...

Reaction score
Id really like to see the track times on that 600hp 38r though.. not trying to argue bills dyno but everyone and there brother knows that dynos arent the tell all final hp number.. good for tuning and measuring gains.. hell, sometimes the track isnt the best. My one mph run put me at 470hp but that was in 2wd and I broke loose. The rest of my runs where in 4wd and I lost mph but gained et and I think those put me a little under 470hp.

live life full throttle

I went [email protected] with a 7.9 1/8 mile in my CCSB truck @7800lbs with 300/200s and 38rw/WW2 1.0 wastegated housing.
That should put me right at 600 or a little more

thuglike

Reaction score
Yep, but when a track isnt used the dyno will have to do. Thuggy did over 7 with the same size injectors and a 42r.

And dynos are pretty good data if its a dynojet 248c...

How bout 111.89 at 7420 lbs with about 50 more slips anywhere from

110.60-111.89

point being...use the track to test what you did on the dyno.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.