Looking for customer input

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Does anyone think that this might become a better option over H&S, if they do custom tuning? I need custom tuning because I have a single turbo or if canned tunes had some options to choose from for us single guys. I like H&S but with the lack of support it kind of bothers me. I really like that Spar tan is still out there coming up with new things.

Once the OST update is released no need for conventional "custom" tuning your going to be able to pick and choose different options for different hardware modifications on screen.

One thing no one has had before to my current knowledge, can't wait to try it out.

Bigboytoys

Reaction score
Just to give a quick over view of things that are coming down the pipe. Post #118 if you need to quote.

Thought I'd sneak some pictures of progress on the upgrades and additions to our on-screen tuning.

I've added a ton of stuff- enough to damn nearly eliminate the need for "custom" tuning for many of you, in the conventional sense.

Options added on BETA:

Injector Nozzle Sizing
Allows selection between stock/default, 30% over, 60% over, 100% over, and 150% over nozzles. This is a global change to all fueling and pulsewidth (except WOT) that will calibrate nozzles back to necessary fueling levels.

Peak Injection Pulsewidth
Selections between 1.5ms, 1.6ms, 1.7ms, 1.8ms, 1.9ms, 2.0ms, 2.1ms, 2.2ms, 2.3ms, 2.4ms, and 2.5ms. This encompasses the max pulsewidth used in 95% of applications from small nozzles on a stock pump, to larger nozzles on dual K16's or larger. Simply raise the pulsewidth to your liking, or until it starts draining fuel rails.

Turbocharger Selection
Selections between Stock, Modified VGT (71 to 73mm Low Pressure, stock to 60mm High Pressure), Modified VGT (75 to 76mm LP, 59-60mm HP), Modified VGT (75 to 76mm LP, 61-66mm HP), or Fixed Geometry.

Modified VGT selections will correct VGT feedforward controller and exhaust backpressure tables for optimal operation with the selected turbochargers.

Fixed Geometry setting will turn off VGT controller, and disable diagnostic trouble codes associated, for use with non-VGT. This works for both single turbos or non-VGT compounds.

Low Boost Fueling/Smoke Control
Adjustable from Stock to +50%, in 10% increments, along with "OFF" This adjustment range is wide enough to eliminate smoke on the low end, and spool even large turbos on the high end.

Cooling Fan Engagement Temp, Engine
Full speed fan engagement temperature based on engine coolant. Allows selection from 215 to 230 degrees F.

Cooling Fan Engagement Temp, Trans
Full speed fan engagement temperature based on trans temp. Allows selection from 215 to 230 degrees F.

High Pressure Fuel System
Selectable between Stock, Aftermarket Single HPFP (such as the II Dragonfire), Dual K16/K16 (such as Elite's kit) and Dual K16/CP3 (River City and others).

This will correct VCV, PCV, and rail pressure settings, adaptive fuel pressure control parameters, and modify diagnostics to work with the selected system.

Throttle Dampening
Turns throttle dampening on or off. On for smoother throttle input, off for quicker response. Your choice.

Engine Rev Limiter
Self explanatory. Can choose between tune default, 3500, 3750, 4000, 4250, or 4500 and 4750 for built engines.

EGT Defueling Setpoint
Self explanatory. Configurable from 1400 to 1800 degrees, or OFF.

Oil Temperature Defueling Setpoint
Self explanatory. Configurable from 230 to 260 degrees, or OFF.

Coolant Temperature Defueling Setpoint
Self explanatory. Configurable from 230 to 250 degrees, or OFF.

Fuel Temperature Defueling Setpoint
Self explanatory. Configurable from 170 to 230 degrees, or OFF.

Transmission Hardware
Selections between Stock, Suncoast, River City, Elite, Midwest, and ATS. These settings will correct clutch pack boost times, shift pressures, and adaptive parameters to match the selected transmission.

Converter Stall RPM
Selections between 1600RPM, 1800RPM(Stock), 2000RPM, 2200RPM, and 2400RPM. Corrects k-factor calculations and torque converter lockup speed ratios.

Shift Solenoids
Selectable between stock or modified direct solenoid. Corrects boost time and shift pressures for a modded direct clutch solenoid, such as Suncoast.

1st though 6th Gear Torque Converter Lockup and Unlock Scheduling, Wide Open Throttle
Add or subtract in MPH to converter lock and unlock scheduling for each gear (10 adjustable parameters total)

5th and 6th Gear Torque Converter Lockup and Unlock Scheduling, Part Throttle
Adjustable in MPH for low and part throttle lockup and unlock, separately from WOT. Not available for gears 1, 2, and 3 since lockup is not used.

WOT RPM Based Shift Points
Configurable from 3100RPM to 4000RPM for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th gears independently.

1st through 6th Gear Upshift and Downshift Scheduling
1-2, 2-1, 2-3, 3-2, 3-5, 5-3, 5-6, and 6-5 Shift schedules adjustable by MPH. 10 independent tables for shift customization.

6th Gear Tow/Haul Lockout

On/Off selection. Selecting on blocks 6th gear in Tow/Haul, effectively making the Tow/Haul button an Overdrive On/Off selection. Useful for guys running large turbos who need to downshift to keep the turbo spooled, for various purposes.

Shift Firmness
Shift firmness adjustable for 1-2, 2-3, 3-5, and 5-6 shifts independently. Adjustable by percentage, -20% to +25%. Adjustments correct shift pressures and transmission adaptive slip times simultaneously, to the desired shift feel.

Torque Converter Lockup Firmness
Selectable from -20% to +30%. Adjusts converter lockup pressures and adaptive slip times simultaneously

These are added on top of our already existing parameters.

123ulmr.jpg

34976kl.jpg

10f9fz5.jpg

r2ruh4.jpg

11vnn28.jpg

6rn3ah.jpg

34rddm1.jpg

Injector Pulsewidth selection
o09opw.jpg

Nozzle Size selection
hwin3q.jpg

Turbocharger selection
2dj9po0.jpg

High Pressure Fuel System selection
2dgugiq.jpg

Transmission Hardware selection
2krq6s.jpg

Low Boost Fueling selection
2m3soqf.jpg

If anyone has any suggestions on things you'd like to see added, feel free.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing that back out. I've since added parameters for a fuel cooler ******, and idle injection pressure adjustment. Have also changed the methodology behind the injection pulse width adjustments to allow more flexibility.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Thanks for bringing that back out. I've since added parameters for a fuel cooler ******, and idle injection pressure adjustment. Have also changed the methodology behind the injection pulse width adjustments to allow more flexibility.

This kind of a "oddball" option but, how about glow plug ******/off selection?

Amstaff

Reaction score
Thanks for putting that up, I've skimmed through these pages a little bit but didn't see that. This looks like it's going to be great, I think I'm going to have to save my pennies and sell my black maxx. One more question, what if after all of this something still isn't quite right wother drive ability or whatever. Will there be support from Spar tan to fix it?

strokeofgenius

Reaction score
Well being that this tuning system has been around a long time, and they are still here updating, that should answer your question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amstaff

Reaction score
This is still technically a canned tune but with a lot of adjustments. And with any other tuner if something isn't right with the canned tunes on your truck there is nothing you can do. Now with custom tunes you can get revisions until it is right. They are saying with this new update it could get rid of the need for custom tuning.But are they going to offer revisions on it? Or with the possibility of them offering custom tunes would the user end up having to go the custom tune route vs the preloaded tunes.

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
This is still technically a canned tune but with a lot of adjustments. And with any other tuner if something isn't right with the canned tunes on your truck there is nothing you can do. Now with custom tunes you can get revisions until it is right. They are saying with this new update it could get rid of the need for custom tuning.But are they going to offer revisions on it? Or with the possibility of them offering custom tunes would the user end up having to go the custom tune route vs the preloaded tunes.

I'll be candid for a moment and point out a few things about the public conception of custom tuning vs canned tuning and how the tools we are working on differ (or, don't) between the two.

Custom tuning, in reality, is simply the assembly of known tuning values to match with known hardware. There is tweaking that goes on, but when it's broken down, it's not a significant number of parameters that are actually modified to accomplish the task.

Let's create an example. Say, customer "X" has a stock 6.4 with normal, off-the-shelf tuning in a device. He decides to install a fixed geometry turbo, 100% nozzles, dual pumps and a built trans. He then calls and orders a custom tune from company "Y".

Company "Y" already has value sets that they've built from previous experience, that work with those components. For the turbo, certain diagnostics are disabled, the VGT power stages are disabled and fueling is adjusted to match the turbo sizing and spool-up. Global Pulsewidth is compensated for the nozzles to keep injection clean, a peak injection pulsewidth is chosen based on the customer's power and temperature requirements. Trans pressures are chosen based on the build of the transmission, and shift schedules are adjusted to help keep the turbocharger spooled properly.

While each custom tuner may go about things a little differently, those are the tasks that must be performed for the truck to behave properly with those specific modifications.

All we are doing is moving those operations from our keyboard, to your touch-screen. As for final "touch-up" of the file, the tools will also be there to add small changes to tweak things to your exact liking. For example, you need the 3-2 downshift to occur 2mph earlier because the truck lags from low RPM. Push a couple of buttons, and done.

This eliminates the wait times for custom tuning, and all the back-and-forth for putting in tweaks for what you need. The other silver lining is that, if a customer needs a parameter added that isn't currently in the database (at any given point in time) we can add parameters at will. When this software is finished, it will be just as quick and easy for us to add a parameter accessible to everyone, that to make one-off custom file. Every user will benefit in this regard.

If you have an application that is so far out in left field that even this software won't take care of it, you will still have the availability of a custom base file. I honestly feel these will be few and far between, for only the most exotic builds. Even in those cases, this software will still be able to create a usable file that could be tweaked further.

To put it more briefly- what is often considered a "custom tune", in reality, is a canned tune, with fixed and prior-established value sets added to it. It is then dialed in by small increments, via feedback from the user to the tuner. This software removes the middle-man from this whole loop, making it cheaper, quicker, and easier for the customer to reach the end goal.

Last edited:

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Very well explained! Thanks! Got any updates for us as far as time frame?

Working on that very thing right now. I need to find time to finish working on other power levels to supplement the 325 BETA. The on-screen update is designed to work with the new tune files, so when its ready (as of this second) it will only work with the 325. I'd like to get 2 to 3 more base files (something in the neighborhood of 75, 150, and 200-210) before sending it out for testing.

When all this is complete, it will help to negate the need for as many power levels as we have available now. Much of it is redundant, currently, because we lacked this level of software flexibility back when it was first designed. Example- the 210 and 250HP calibrations are damn nearly the same, with the exception being that EGT limiting is disabled on the 250 (trans tuning aside, since the 250 has a more aggressive trans calibration). That alone allows the truck to create the extra 40HP from fueling. Since much of that will be selectable in the on-screen tuning, we will need to have far less "power selections" to achieve the same tuning flexibility we have now- and more.

Last edited:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
I'll be candid for a moment and point out a few things about the public conception of custom tuning vs canned tuning and how the tools we are working on differ (or, don't) between the two.

Custom tuning, in reality, is simply the assembly of known tuning values to match with known hardware. There is tweaking that goes on, but when it's broken down, it's not a significant number of parameters that are actually modified to accomplish the task.

Let's create an example. Say, customer "X" has a stock 6.4 with normal, off-the-shelf tuning in a device. He decides to install a fixed geometry turbo, 100% nozzles, dual pumps and a built trans. He then calls and orders a custom tune from company "Y".

Company "Y" already has value sets that they've built from previous experience, that work with those components. For the turbo, certain diagnostics are disabled, the VGT power stages are disabled and fueling is adjusted to match the turbo sizing and spool-up. Global Pulsewidth is compensated for the nozzles to keep injection clean, a peak injection pulsewidth is chosen based on the customer's power and temperature requirements. Trans pressures are chosen based on the build of the transmission, and shift schedules are adjusted to help keep the turbocharger spooled properly.

While each custom tuner may go about things a little differently, those are the tasks that must be performed for the truck to behave properly with those specific modifications.

All we are doing is moving those operations from our keyboard, to your touch-screen. As for final "touch-up" of the file, the tools will also be there to add small changes to tweak things to your exact liking. For example, you need the 3-2 downshift to occur 2mph earlier because the truck lags from low RPM. Push a couple of buttons, and done.

This eliminates the wait times for custom tuning, and all the back-and-forth for putting in tweaks for what you need. The other silver lining is that, if a customer needs a parameter added that isn't currently in the database (at any given point in time) we can add parameters at will. When this software is finished, it will be just as quick and easy for us to add a parameter accessible to everyone, that to make one-off custom file. Every user will benefit in this regard.

If you have an application that is so far out in left field that even this software won't take care of it, you will still have the availability of a custom base file. I honestly feel these will be few and far between, for only the most exotic builds. Even in those cases, this software will still be able to create a usable file that could be tweaked further.

To put it more briefly- what is often considered a "custom tune", in reality, is a canned tune, with fixed and prior-established value sets added to it. It is then dialed in by small increments, via feedback from the user to the tuner. This software removes the middle-man from this whole loop, making it cheaper, quicker, and easier for the customer to reach the end goal.

Very well explained, Thanks

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Working on that very thing right now. I need to find time to finish working on other power levels to supplement the 325 BETA. The on-screen update is designed to work with the new tune files, so when its ready (as of this second) it will only work with the 325. I'd like to get 2 to 3 more base files (something in the neighborhood of 75, 150, and 200-210) before sending it out for testing.

Very nice, can't wait to try it on out.

strokeofgenius

Reaction score

Awesome! Thanks for the update. Get a chance to test with job1 module?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score

When all this is complete, it will help to negate the need for as many power levels as we have available now. Much of it is redundant, currently, because we lacked this level of software flexibility back when it was first designed. Example- the 210 and 250HP calibrations are damn nearly the same, with the exception being that EGT limiting is disabled on the 250 (trans tuning aside, since the 250 has a more aggressive trans calibration). That alone allows the truck to create the extra 40HP from fueling. Since much of that will be selectable in the on-screen tuning, we will need to have far less "power selections" to achieve the same tuning flexibility we have now- and more.

Will the 350 be getting taken out or is it going receive the OST?

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
Will the 350 be getting taken out or is it going receive the OST?

Haven't decided for sure. It's pretty heavy on timing, and most people seem to prefer the 310. To be up front- you could take the 325, add a couple of degrees of timing and the power would be right there. As mentioned earlier about the differences in base files, the 350 is basically a 310 with more aggressive timing and small VGT changes.

Amstaff

Reaction score

Thank you very much for explaining that. That answers pretty much everything I was wondering. Now I think I'm going to try and sell my black maxx and get Spar tan here in the near future.

strokeofgenius

Reaction score
Thank you very much for explaining that. That answers pretty much everything I was wondering. Now I think I'm going to try and sell my black maxx and get Spar tan here in the near future.

I am glad Spar tan was my first purchase, and that I stuck with it. This makes it even more worth it.