Looking for info on VGT vs. non-VGT.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Right now my KC Turbo has the largest turbine wheel ever installed in a 68mm vgt. It is something that Charlie and Nate is trying out. Its got a polished .72 race cover that no other builder uses. Here's my KC billet 68. I think by far the best looking reman vgt out there I think!

When you state the largest turbine, its "technically" the largest Inducer. Same exducer if I am not mistaken. Overall flow is determined by exducer size of a turbine.

The turbine wheel used in my stage 2.5 and UP starts as a 77x70.5mm and is machined to 72.5x70.5mm

Turbine gets thicker as it gets smaller, that's what I had to do to keep the turbine from melting at the inducer tips.

Just trying to clarify the term of "largest" turbine in a VGT.

strokin6L

Reaction score
My bad James. All I know its a 77x? I forgot the second number. Was told its the biggest one being used in a 68 vgt. No sure if its machined either.

Last edited:

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Just to clear up a few things and not to start any debates. The wheel that Chris is running is a 77.3x70.5

It is not just a garrett gt4088 wheel because those tend to melt if left to full length. I had a custom turbine wheel made to be slightly thicker at the tips to resist melting. I could have been a little off base but as far as I understand it... that is the biggest turbine wheel currently being offered in a 68mm vgt turbo.

Hope that clears things up

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Just to clear up a few things and not to start any debates. The wheel that Chris is running is a 77.3x70.5

It is not just a garrett gt4088 wheel because those tend to melt if left to full length. I had a custom turbine wheel made to be slightly thicker at the tips to resist melting. I could have been a little off base but as far as I understand it... that is the biggest turbine wheel currently being offered in a 68mm vgt turbo.

Hope that clears things up

Just curious, if the turbine is kept to a 77.3 inducer, you are moving the vane dowels in the turbine housing and using a different unison ring and vanes? That is the only way it can work without making contact.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
James,

I don't want to divulge all my secrets to everyone in the world LOL

I will send you a PM but we have experimented with moving the pins, new unison rings, new solid billet vanes, etc... we have not settled on anything yet.

We don't put 77.3mm in all our turbos right now (but we hope to some day). It happened to work out that way because of the type of turbo he had sent in to us to get worked on. I can actually fit even larger wheels than 77x70 but I have not run any yet. We are still experimenting a little bit.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I want to be around 600. Trans I do know about but I'm praying to the powerstroke Gods that my stock trans lasts until next year tax refund time. I know they can go out whenever, mine has 51k on it currently.

As far as fuel. I'm going to run the driven diesel RR and i have a new hfcm pump too. I'm also hoping I can hold ICP too.

I know this is pretty far back in the thread... but...

Dyno Numbers/ Track numbers are very subjective. There are so many different things that come into account. You could take two of the exact same vehicles with the same mods and they can come up with different numbers... on top of that many builders will build their 175s different, people can have weak hpop, tuners can run different PW, tire size can affect it, altitude can affect it... etc... etc... etc... And that does not take into account the health of the motor or if anything is wrong. Basically results will vary.

I try not to tell people that 175s will make 600hp... there but been a select few that have broken the 600hp mark with 175s. But most results I see are around 550-585... I think with a really good running truck, lots of mods, a little luck... that 600hp is possible... but so is 550hp.

If you are shooting for the 600hp mark then I would go with 190s or 205s... but 175s will still be crazy fun to drive, but if you are looking for the actual 600hp number go with the injector that is more likely to get you there

I hope that makes sense

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
It does.. Im not dead set on injector size. What would the track time difference be? I wanted to get into lower 13s.. Hoping possibly high 12s?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Then I would go with 190s...

I have a guy right now that only ran a 13.4 with 175/75s and a stage 3. The turbo cleans up the injectors to almost nothing, egts are in check, but he was still not very happy. He is lifted pretty tall with big rims and big tires and has a 4x4. He does not know what his truck weight. He also wanted to be in the 12s

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Im guessing common doing on nozzle size is 75s.. I dont see how 30s can empty all that fuel.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Im guessing common doing on nozzle size is 75s.. I dont see how 30s can empty all that fuel.

You can get 190cc or so out of the 30% nozzle, i've done it before, with the results to prove it. I build the injector around the nozzle, so If I put say a a 75% nozzle on a 190 injector that has our 30% nozzle, on the same test it will flow over 210cc with a 75% nozzle.

MrOneEyedBoh

Reaction score
Interesting.. thanks man. I still need to find more info on nozzles and their respected power level/characteristics. Its a lot of money to be dumping at once, and I want to make sure I do it right..

Do you think ICP and FP will be fine using a RR? I may do a sump in hopes that it may help maintain FP if I need to.

ford rules

Reaction score
RR wont do anything to help your ICP. If your HPOP is in decent shape it should hold a 190.
Sump wont help you hold fuel pressure unless you have a pump that will support the injectors.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.