Mad turbo werks build::MAD TRUCK

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
How's the saying go "if I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all" It's been a hell of a year, but next year will be even crazier, just need to build things a bit stronger and plan things ahead of time instead of getting things to getter at short notice.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
1st drag run

I have been trying to get track time for my truck but, things always seem to stop me. I went to a local track 45 minutes away on thursday night just to have them cancel. So even tho the engine is hurt I still want track times just to show some sort of time. I don't have heads ready yet so until I do and tracks ready to close for season I wanted something.

Well I found a 1/4 mile track, running on sunday so off I went 4 1/2 hours away to get to it. Now before I tell times let me say that I don't have any other truck to haul the truck to the track, so I actually drove the truck to the track, yes with bad head gasket. I would notice that any time I built boost on the freeway any higher than 6psi the coolant temp would go up 8 degrees. This is not a excuse it is reality on what was going on with my truck.

So here it goes, got to the track it was 74 degrees, I got a weight for the truck from a cat certified scale at truck stop about 4 minutes away just incase there wasn't a scale at this track. The weight of the truck 2004 ext. cab short bed with 35" tires and me(230) pounds in the truck in street trim 7600lbs even. It was with a full tank of fuel, since I fueled just before getting to track, never been there so didn't know what was around. I took air out of tires to 20psi back 30psi front.

I have never went down the track in one of these 4x4 diesel trucks so I had trouble with the tree pre stage, stage and boosted launch. Not to meantion that the first two runs I put truck in 4x4 and the front tires wouldn't engage.
I put a nice tire spinning show 1,2,3, gears down the track before the truck grabbed. I removed the hub covers on front tires and manually locked the hubs. I did a boosted launch but was haveing trouble timing the boost and lights to go. The fastest et I got was 13.4 and fastest trap speed of 104.58mph. I was having alot of trouble hooking up even in 4x4 60 foot times where 2.64, and never really got a good boosted launch. According to the horsepower calulation for mph the truck is at about 590rwhp. Not what I wanted but I went trough a gallon on anti freeze at the track. I'm also running 35" tire with stock 3:73 gears.

My last run when I was boosting I had smoke coming from under the hood, smelled like burn fuel, I have no idea where it was coming from but that's when I said "I'm done!" The inside fender well on driver's side was dripping wet, the other runs just wet, I would go and wipe it down, and spray with brake fuild to dry it off. I know I was over flowing at full boost, and the track officals never came and got me for wetting the track. Well I had enough and I got some sort of numbers for you members, and I didn't want to blow the head gasket out completely and have to find a tow 4 1/2 miles back home.

I limped the truck back home and had to add one gallon, just before I got home. All I know is success is not easy, but if it was then you won't be happy of yourself when you achieve it. I believe I went above and be on to get numbers including risking being stranded 4 1/2 hours away from home, and breaking the truck hard. I was told not to post the results but I will post the good with the bad I have nothing to hide and want to be truthful. Well atleast it was better than the dyno where I got a 489rwhp, and blew the head gasket a little. Now I blew it alot, and need to put truck down to fix it. Thanks and I'll be back, time for the winter build.

Last edited:

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Good job.

Thanks wish I could have done better. I hope the winter build will let me play with the big boys. Here's a video of the truck running.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgBxWotp1iI&feature=plcp

The truck as a 5.5 lift with 35" tire running stock 3:73 gearing. I left the truck in street trim as truck was weighed, spare tire, tail gate, even all the wife's stuff in the back of the cab. I wanted as real as the truck would be on the street.

Last edited:

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not bad Adrian, a13.4@104 i a great start, we put down a 13.1 with 190/75s, 6" lift, crew cab on a stock fuel system and a 63.5mm VGT That dynod 544, with a 1.70 60ft, a 13.4 is 500-550 on the calc, 104.5 is a nice trap too! which really wasn't far from your dyno numbers. Turbo looked like it didnt want to light on the line but you can hear it rip once it lights.Definitely sounds like external issues going on. Get that 60 ft down and lets see a 12.xx!

Last edited:

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
what psi were you leaving at? Your 60 ft times are why you have a low et and higher mph. That's a good mph btw.

Thanks, not sure I was having a hard time getting boost to come up, I was playing with throttle and brakes but couldn't get it right. When I started to get smoke coming from under hood at line and after run had a miss, I decided that was enough. I wanted some type of time and track experience with the truck. I know what I have do to get where I want to be. It's all part of the plan for getting truck ready for spring. I need alot of track time me and the truck to get dailed in.

You're right JJ the et calculate to 500-550 but if the 60 foot times were where they should have been the it would match with the trap speed which is 590rwhp. That's way I like trap speed, just because it will IMOP be more accurate on horsepower than et (crap luanch, or losing traction bad et) doesn't mean the horsepower wasn't there.

If I wasn't so far away from home with the truck being the only transport back, and of course having my wife with me( had to think of her too) I would have took it down some more until the truck gave up.

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Not sure I was having a hard time getting boost to come up, I was playing with throttle and brakes but couldn't get it right. When I started to get smoke coming from under hood at line and after run had a miss, I decided that was enough. I wanted some type of time and track experience with the truck. I know what I have do to get where I want to be. It's all part of the plan for getting truck ready for spring. I need alot of track time me and the truck to get dailed in.

You're right JJ the et calculate to 500-550 but if the 60 foot times were where they should have been the it would match with the trap speed which is 590rwhp. That's way I like trap speed, just because it will IMOP be more accurate on horsepower than et (crap luanch, or losing traction bad et) doesn't mean the horsepower wasn't there.

If I wasn't so far away from home with the truck being the only transport back, and of course having my wife with me( had to think of her too) I would have took it down some more until the truck gave up.

Your trap @104.5 is strong. That in itself speaks for the power no doubt. Get that 6.0 ft to a 1.8x or better and it will be sub 13s for sure.

Last edited:

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
It's been along time and I findally getting all the parts in for the build. Here's a list of some of them, if I can remember them all.

1. reworked heads, new valvle and lite porting. 1.5mm bigger exhaust valves.
2. all new upgraded rocker arms (new style), bridges, and RCD push rods
3. oil cooler
4. electric cooling fans
5. upgraded radiator
6. upgraded intake manifold(my own)
7. upgraded fuel sytem
8. all new shocks
9. custom hood(by myself)
Keeping the same injectors(200/150 custom from Renegade) for now but my go bigger if needed.Have a diesel site HPOP incase
I think that it, once done custom live tuning. I'll try to get pictures of some of the things and even tell you why I picked the things I picked. Thanks

Last edited:

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Can't wait to see the truck again!! She's gonna be a whole new beast!!

Thanks, buddy.
Pictures of some of build stuff.

IMAG0124.jpg:gun:

bad12jr

Reaction score
Ill take one. That looks awesome.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Love the hood Adrian!

Ill take one. That looks awesome.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

Thanks guys, the hood is a all steel hood I got off eBay for 326.00 shipped. I then bought the louvers, for 40.00 on eBay. I cut the hood to fit the louvers, need to get the hood painted to match truck, I will leave the louvers black.:thumbsup:

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
What efan setup did you go with?

I went with a set up that Quick Tricks is selling now. It is made just for the 6.0, very nice system, fits very well. All relays and eletrics are built into fan. The shoud is a custom built unit, but you wouldn't guess it, very nice work.

Latest posts

Members online