Manual to auto

brooksfruge

Reaction score
After spending some time on sunrise fords online catalog and pricing out parts I might start leaning towards doing swapping out the manual. I'll most likely be running a PCS and am also leaning towards the 4r. With that being said, would I still use the 5r tranny wiring harness and flex plate? Do I have to run a different t-case for this trans?

Good luck with the swap man

Last edited:

6.4stroke

BFT im assuming your going to sell your manual setup after you do the swap?

Jhaddox

Reaction score
4r shaft?

You swap the tcase input shaft with one that was in a truck with the 7.3 or v10 in the same year (the shaft in the tcase that connects to the trans output shaft)

The 5r has a different spline count than the 4r

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Charles

Reaction score
I've come pretty close to doing this and it's just not worth the effort in my opinion. Too many parts to swap and then you'll need someone whose good with IDS to program everything.

If you want your truck reliable put a dual disc clutch in it and your done.

Auto trucks are really easy to find.

I'm probably getting a different dual disc this summer, I'll sell the one I've got if your on that tight of a budget.

What do you change? Pull the ZF, dump it off the nearest cliff and slap the auto in place with a stand-alone controller. Leave the truck alone. Don't reprogram anything.

If you want a factory column shifter, swap columns, if you don't want one, leave your column alone. Either jumper the clutch safety switch, or grab the little factory plug that comes in the auto trucks and your starter will work, and so will the cruise with your clutch pedal assembly at the bottom of the nearest ravine.

A manual trans engine gives not one damn what trans is behind it. Leave it that way. Don't reprogram it.

BFT

Reaction score
Figured PCS is all I needed electronic wise. Only thing that'll cost me some $$$ is building the 4r to hold the power

BFT

Reaction score
Since I'm wantig to swap over to the column shifter can I still keep the manual gauge cluster (since the PRND won't work)? Is the key cylinder easy to swap between the manual and auto steering columns?

Charles

Reaction score
Since I'm wantig to swap over to the column shifter can I still keep the manual gauge cluster (since the PRND won't work)? Is the key cylinder easy to swap between the manual and auto steering columns?

On my 99 you insert the key into the cylinder turn the key either to ACC or Run and there is a small little check ball in the casting around the cylinder that you depress and pull the cylinder out with the key in it. It clicks right into an empty column.

On my 99 you can use either the auto or manual gauge cluster. In fact, they are exactly the same, the manual just has a block-off module plugged into where the auto range indicator would be. I actually removed that from my manual cluster and snapped the automatic range indicator in it's place and retained my original cluster.

On the 6.4 the range indicator is LCD??? In which case, does the manual cluster have the screen there? If not, is it modular and simply clicks in place?

I wouldn't be surprised if it swapped over easily. Everything I have done on a superduty in terms of swapping things around has been plug and play. Ford generally keeps their options open and cuts down on specific production lines by building things mostly the same, and then optioning specific things toward the end of the line.

brooksfruge

Reaction score
Like Charles said their is a little tab you depress on the ignition cylinder and it come out, the other cylinder just pops back in

BFT

Reaction score
The shift indicator is not digital, only the truck info. From what I understand the shift indicator won't work going from a 5r to 4r (I could be wrong). If that's the case the. I'll stay with the manual cluster.

Does the ECM or the gauge cluster have mileage info?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Both modules store mileage.

There is also a module somewhere on the network that stores mileage that is active with the key off, but I am not sure which one.

B585Ford

Reaction score
What do you change? Pull the ZF, dump it off the nearest cliff and slap the auto in place with a stand-alone controller. Leave the truck alone. Don't reprogram anything.

If you want a factory column shifter, swap columns, if you don't want one, leave your column alone. Either jumper the clutch safety switch, or grab the little factory plug that comes in the auto trucks and your starter will work, and so will the cruise with your clutch pedal assembly at the bottom of the nearest ravine.

A manual trans engine gives not one damn what trans is behind it. Leave it that way. Don't reprogram it.

Now that we are on a pro-auto thread so the information would actually pertinent to the thread, I gotta a question regarding your previous remarks. Previously you claimed that an auto tranny can be fully manually shifted if desired. Does anyone make a 6.4 5r that does so? I know you can if swap a 4r in for a 5r, but that's not what I am asking. Also, can it be done on the 6.7 with the original transmission?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.