Mechanically Injected 7.3 Trucks Info/Pictures

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Ya I was aware of hp numbers ? Just wondering about the torque numbers on a truck like double overtime or stroked out

No one really cares about torque numbers - but if I had to take a swag at it - DOT is over 2000ft-lbs and under 3000 ft-lbs depending on where peak power is being made with all likely hood of it coming in at about 2300 ft-lbs - but like I said its a SWAG.

The important features for anything is a the power - and more critically the shape of the power curve, not the peak number.

Meniacal_Mark

Reaction score
That makes sense, I was wondering if the cat pump would pump enough diesel to make it worth it.

BTW, what injection pump does a Detroit 8V71 use?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
That makes sense, I was wondering if the cat pump would pump enough diesel to make it worth it.

BTW, what injection pump does a Detroit 8V71 use?

They use a mechanical unit injector. So if you want to setup a custom injection cam and fuel rack for a 7.3 - it would be interesting as all hell - just not very practical.

gwunter

Reaction score
I have been doing some thinking on pump options and what not. I have read countless discussions on making this a streetable option, pretty much all of which went with not being a great idea. But I see a mechanical 7.3 motor transplant into say a 70's f-series being a much easier swap than a HEUI 7.3(if you dont have a donor). Im just curious if anybody out there has experimented with different(smaller) pumps?? Like say a MW or an A pump, all of which are cheaper and more available than P or the almighty sigma. From my research there has not been much done performance wise with the MW. Now the A has found a niche in the pulling world, but it still isnt no P. Obviously this would only be a sunday driver. Any thoughts and opinions?? Lets kinda rule out feesability, and focus on technicalities.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I have been doing some thinking on pump options and what not. I have read countless discussions on making this a streetable option, pretty much all of which went with not being a great idea. But I see a mechanical 7.3 motor transplant into say a 70's f-series being a much easier swap than a HEUI 7.3(if you dont have a donor). Im just curious if anybody out there has experimented with different(smaller) pumps?? Like say a MW or an A pump, all of which are cheaper and more available than P or the almighty sigma. From my research there has not been much done performance wise with the MW. Now the A has found a niche in the pulling world, but it still isnt no P. Obviously this would only be a sunday driver. Any thoughts and opinions?? Lets kinda rule out feesability, and focus on technicalities.

It most certainly can be done - ANYTHING can be done. You just need to decide if you possess the tools and skills to do it yourself or if you need to have all those changes and details outsourced. I know I could do it - but I also have an engineering degree, lots of tool and die training and experience and a shop full of equipment such as mills and lathes with access to even more. To a guy with out the knowledge and equipment to just dive into it and make it happen - its expensive - and THAT is the hold up as why it hasn't been done.

I know this isn't a popular opinion - but I don't really care - if I was building a "street truck" and wanted to go mechanical I would still do a p-pump - install a jackshaft down the center of the valley and drive it using the HPOP gear and then belt drive the pump at the back of the motor using a timing belt and pulleys that can correct for the speed mismatch. Remote mount the turbo(s) somewhere else. After that its all cake as far as I am concerned. LOL Timing it would be a procedure, but doable.

Here is a Dmax across the pond done that way:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

1004dp_15+the_duramax_tractor+mechanical_injection_pump.jpg

1004dp_17+the_duramax_tractor+diesel_engine.jpg

1004dp_16+the_duramax_tractor+holset_HX50_turbocharger.jpg

Charles

Reaction score
Alright damn it.... just stop....

I'm fighting hard enough to not take a weedeater to my engine compartment as it is. Ahhhhh..... imagine an engine that ran without ANY electrical input....

Each cylinder even perfectly controlled via camshaft ramp rates, plungers and barrels that must stroke out to _____ travel or break the pump case in half, blow a line or rupture a nozzle when push comes to shove. Not lay over and give up...

Latest posts

Members online