Motor Rebuild Help

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
JR

I too priced my build out and was looking to do what you are doing. The question is are you able to do it twice? If a builder who has built many of them and have the in's and outs on them messed up then they will build you another. To be at the proper tolerance and be able to beat the sh!t out of it like we do with built motors isn't cheep.

Now let's say you save 3k by building it yourself what if you screwed up? It will cost you more in the long run especially with out experience not to say it's hard to do.

I spent an entire day at SWAMPS and saw first hand what Johnny their engine build does. I can tell you that every part is measured in disassembely to the point that I was amazed. Spending that king on money I say leave it to the pros and enjoy the finished product.

I would recommend SWAMPS to anyone looking for any kind of build. Give Dave a call and talk he will set you strait.

moose99psd

Reaction score
JR

I too priced my build out and was looking to do what you are doing. The question is are you able to do it twice? If a builder who has built many of them and have the in's and outs on them messed up then they will build you another. To be at the proper tolerance and be able to beat the sh!t out of it like we do with built motors isn't cheep.

Now let's say you save 3k by building it yourself what if you screwed up? It will cost you more in the long run especially with out experience not to say it's hard to do.

I spent an entire day at SWAMPS and saw first hand what Johnny their engine build does. I can tell you that every part is measured in disassembely to the point that I was amazed. Spending that king on money I say leave it to the pros and enjoy the finished product.

I would recommend SWAMPS to anyone looking for any kind of build. Give Dave a call and talk he will set you strait.

building a motor isnt rocket science, measuring is key.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ok, so after talking with some people and trying to figure out whats best, which is still uncertain right not, i have come to this so far....

Stage 2 cam From gear head
Valve Springs--better then current 910's
Mahles with bowl work and coatings
Carrilo or crowers, which ever gives me better price
Port & Polish heads
Staying with Arp head studs
Arp main studs
Staying with smith bro pushrods
Ceramic coated manifolds
Matt @ gearhead tuning
Might be making better plenums
Wastegate.. still not sure what size

If im missing something let me know. I am not 100% on the cam. Some say its not worth it some say it is. I am staying with the 250/200hybrids and 4202 with compounds in the plans for next winter. Also I am not filling or partial filling the block. Heard mixed stories on that, and since its a DD i am leaving that alone. Lastly i heard a bed plate is better then a girdle. Anyone with info on that and who makes a bed plate. Thank you

Greg

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Here's some coatings you can DIY while waiting for final assembly. I have friends who have used these products in various applications and swear by them. I woulda done it, but I was out of time on my F350 build and ended up with a longblock somebody else put together. Get a cheep oven on CL to use for the baking if you have a spouse...

Turbo X for your manifolds, up-pipes and turbo exhaust housing:
http://www.techlinecoatings.com/hi-performance/bs-exhaust-system-coatings.html

Ceramalube for piston skirts and CBX for piston tops:
http://www.techlinecoatings.com/hi-performance/bs-internal-engine-coatings.html

juniort444e

Reaction score
I was thinking about firerings, but a few people told me not to. So im not 100%sure if i really want to right now. How much boost, or cfm does your turbo flow.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I do have arp main studs in the list. And i heard a bed plate is better then a girdle. Im still trying to figure out the differences but thats what i was told. And that i believe is on the list to.

Anyone want to throw some opinions on fire rings. Worth it, not worth it, different options.

jwlandry

Reaction score
If you do ring it go with someone thats has been doing them a while and have had good luck with them. I'd personally go with swamps or WOP.

Reaction score
With fire rings, keep in mind that it is a MUST to do a hot retorque with them. It would be a good idea to do fire rings if your going to run compounds.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Why not just o ring the heads since they're going off for porting/ polishing anyways? I also think it'd be a good idea if your planning on compounds.

Latest posts

Members online