Motor Rebuild Help

juniort444e

Reaction score
Yes its a street queen with weekend duteis and then maybe some extra here and there. But i dont baby my truck. So i want it stought but not over the top built like HRT's motor is.

You saying that about the girdle and filling pretty much sums up why i was so worried in the first place. Not saying its not worth it, but i drive my truck 350+ a week, so half filling the block seems point less, plus i dont want other debris in the system.

Even tho the bed plate is pricey i think its overall a safer and more reliable option.

WhyTry,,, yes i want to get the motor internally balanced. I also want to get a new damper as well. Just not sure which one yet.

02POWERSTROKE7.3

Reaction score
Not yet looking to buy one. Complete rebuild, sleeve cylinders, gearhead cam, cryo rods, hybrids, undecided on turbo, port and polish/ sb pushrods and valve springs. And a few other goodies.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Junior, in Diesel Worlds November issue there's a pretty good write up on o ringing, vs. fire ringing with some pictures. Definitely paints a good picture for the guy that has no clue what o ringing or fire ringing is.

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
I have a otc gray four wheeled stand. It does what a stand should do.. the crank may drop an inch or so when you let the load down on the stand, I've seen alot of cheap stands needing the crank supported and that's just not what you want a stand to do with a 900lb engine on it. $125 or so?

juniort444e

Reaction score
From what i have read. Strip it completely, wipe it with mineral spirits or acetone, then prime and repaint. Could be wrong info tho. Ill prob get mine powder coated.

TARM

Reaction score
Junior, in Diesel Worlds November issue there's a pretty good write up on o ringing, vs. fire ringing with some pictures. Definitely paints a good picture for the guy that has no clue what o ringing or fire ringing is.

I read that article as well. The issue with that article is they state there must be constant scheduled retqs of head studs when using the fire ring and that is not the case with the kits used currently with the 7.3 from all I have seen. After all whos gonna be pulling the VC and everything out to retq all the studs every few thousand miles on a street truck as they claim needs to be do with FR.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I read that article as well. The issue with that article is they state there must be constant scheduled retqs of head studs when using the fire ring and that is not the case with the kits used currently with the 7.3 from all I have seen. After all whos gonna be pulling the VC and everything out to retq all the studs every few thousand miles on a street truck as they claim needs to be do with FR.

Yeah, I also thought that was a little bit inaccurate for most guys. But I guess like they said in the article, it is a very broad subject with many variables to doing it. They did discuss a point I forgot about though, that the fire rings didn't really like the heat cycles of a daily driver, have you seen anything contrary to that with the 7.3?

TARM

Reaction score
Thats also another points that seems to go back to other engines as well. That is the reason for the need for the retq and that is something at least I have not seen mentioned by any of the guys running them. I can only imagine how many heat cycles Charles has had thru his fire rings engine and have not seen any mention of it.

Latest posts

Members online