Muffler suggestions?

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I did one recently with a 40" Donaldson and kept the OEM soup can. It sounded sweet. Had a nice tone, tons of turbine, and it killed the Rick Flair.

FX44AU

Reaction score
I did one recently with a 40" Donaldson and kept the OEM soup can. It sounded sweet. Had a nice tone, tons of turbine, and it killed the Rick Flair.

That's what I'm installing Friday. Got it in today as well as a 50" I'm putting on another '15. Should have some sound clips to add to the thread hopefully soon!

Captaincworley

Reaction score
Copy that. Thanks Charles!

FTE said to put the Resonator as close to the Downpipe as possible to kill the drone. After I ordered mine and installed it, I saw that the best bet would have been to get the 4" inlet to 5" outles Resonator that he offers as that would have put it as close as possible to the Downpipe!

Charles

Captaincworley

Reaction score
That's what I'm installing Friday. Got it in today as well as a 50" I'm putting on another '15. Should have some sound clips to add to the thread hopefully soon!

Deg post vids man. I'm real curious to see how the Big Donaldson sounds as I almost went that route, However I preferred how small the FTE resonators were in comparison to the Donaldson Mufflers.

Charles

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Deg post vids man. I'm real curious to see how the Big Donaldson sounds as I almost went that route, However I preferred how small the FTE resonators were in comparison to the Donaldson Mufflers.

Charles

Love my resonator only 5" setup. Super quiet in the cab and loud as &@$" outside haha

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I ran an MBRP 30" universal diesel muffler for a while. Takes the ric flair noise out of it and still sounds good under WOT. Went back to straight after the Precision Turbo so I can hear that whistle haha

FX44AU

Reaction score
I still need to do some sound clips of the big Donaldson..... the shorter one sounds just like the video on youtube of the 40" Donaldson on a 6.7L so it's kind of pointless to make one of it. It seems to me the 2015 has a bit less turbo whistle though.

The Donaldson mufflers definitely reduce the hissing at idle but it is still there. What I find odd is that at idle the shorter muffler seems to quiet the hissing more than the longer one. While driving the longer one is definitely stock-ish quiet and the shorter one has just a slight bit more grunt than it did stock.

In the end I went back to 4" straight on my personal truck. Still debating on what I want to do. I'm either going to install a Magnaflow 5" *** back exhaust on my de-leet pipe or go with a full 5" exhaust. At this point I'm kind of leaning towards just buying the Magnaflow kit.

08Monster

Reaction score
Sub'd. Want to deelete my new 2014, but want it to be quiet as stock in the cab, don't care how loud it is outside. Haha suggestions?

BOHICA256

Reaction score
On my next off days I'll post up a video of what the FTE 17" resonator did for my truck. Videos do it no justice of how my truck sounded straight piped, and still doesn't do it justice of how much it quietened down the exhaust and in cab. I forgot to make a video of driving exhaust note while it was straight piped, and my truck is in the shop getting some bodywork done from a wreck, so I won't be able to make a driving video of how it sounds with the resonator. The resonator is a big yes in my book if you want to quieten down in cab noise and to quieten down the exhaust.
I'm just still not 100% sure I like it quiet. I like loud noises too much..
One thing that the resonator did get rid of, the best way I can describe it, is this almost rattling the cab noise that I had when I would get up around 2500Rpm, and if it was a WOT run, it would be even more noticeable. But now it just sounds smooth.
I think a muffler and the resonator would probably be a pretty sweet setup if you want it very quiet. Or maybe just the 30" resonator. I know that I wouldn't like the 30" because it would most likely make it too quiet for me. I'm not that much of an adult yet lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

08Monster

Reaction score
On my next off days I'll post up a video of what the FTE 17" resonator did for my truck. Videos do it no justice of how my truck sounded straight piped, and still doesn't do it justice of how much it quietened down the exhaust and in cab. I forgot to make a video of driving exhaust note while it was straight piped, and my truck is in the shop getting some bodywork done from a wreck, so I won't be able to make a driving video of how it sounds with the resonator. The resonator is a big yes in my book if you want to quieten down in cab noise and to quieten down the exhaust.
I'm just still not 100% sure I like it quiet. I like loud noises too much..
One thing that the resonator did get rid of, the best way I can describe it, is this almost rattling the cab noise that I had when I would get up around 2500Rpm, and if it was a WOT run, it would be even more noticeable. But now it just sounds smooth.
I think a muffler and the resonator would probably be a pretty sweet setup if you want it very quiet. Or maybe just the 30" resonator. I know that I wouldn't like the 30" because it would most likely make it too quiet for me. I'm not that much of an adult yet lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll be looking forward to those videos, I'd love to see how quiet it is in cab, and windows down WOT.

BK39

Reaction score
Sub'd. Want to deelete my new 2014, but want it to be quiet as stock in the cab, don't care how loud it is outside. Haha suggestions?

When I had the 5" exhaust with 30" FTE resonator on mine, it was pretty much as quiet as stock.

08Monster

Reaction score
When I had the 5" exhaust with 30" FTE resonator on mine, it was pretty much as quiet as stock.
How was the exhaust tone outside the truck? Still pretty loud and aggressive when getting on it?

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Ordered one a few days ago. Hope it's not that quiet. At least not outside.

Latest posts

Members online