My 7.3 issues

mandkole

Reaction score
all good stuff above... agree

Ive done my share of time with a set of DIY'd injectors and you begin to understand them a little after awhile and get pretty fast. The shops that deal with them can have one apart in seconds and back together not to much slower. Don't lose one of those dowels...LOL

There is much art in dialing them in-- its not the ultimate flow number, but an equal number across all of them. The common scenario is that you have 7 of them within, say 2% of each other, but one is much lower. What do you do? What parts do you swap? Small AAs are one thing, but it gets real crazy with larger nozzles.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
6abffd158d4229e1ec52ba9701f00145.jpg
a721c6bae713e1a65ea59db86b2bd172.jpg
Whoever designed that top starter bolt is a bad bad man. Connected it to a battery + charger and it just buzzed , and shorted out the charger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mn_sclb

Reaction score
Got it tested and it instantly failed then started smoking lol. Engine turned over by hand, so I guess that's good.. Next, I'm gonna order a GR starter tonight and a compression tester. Fingers crossed for 350 all around

cbf9703

Reaction score
... And so it all starts to come together, I got some more info out of the previous owner this morning. Apparently he used the DPP fit upgrade kit, for 80% nozzles. And based on what he told me before that could be causing all of my issues. He rebuilt them himself then that's when the oil consumption, and hard starts began..

:doh: Nice of him to let you in on that before the sale.

Yea, I hate to break it to you, but you may have been the pooch.
Take the injectors out, send them out to someone who actually knows what .005 looks like. Nate at unlimited has always treated me well on a check and flow scenario. Pretty good turnaround, and he won't bs you.
If you need to replace one or more, it'll hurt, but you gotta start with decent parts to make these run.
Yep

I'd suggest having the injectors turned into singles while while they are out getting fixed, and having your chip reburned for them
:whs:

mn_sclb

Reaction score
9cd5f55c7858ce254677b1a29cbba97a.jpg
e81144be0037996c347918a8af9f8dd7.jpg
starter came yesterday, it's in the truck. The electrical side isn't connected though. I pulled a glow plug out, there autolite plugs. It came out really easy, a little too easy. I tried hooking them up to a battery and charger, but they don't do anything.

psduser1

Reaction score
You can check resistance through to glowplug, should be minimal. I forget the exact spec, .5-1.5? ohms, maybe. About 12$ apiece for motorcrafts, if you've got the old ones out you're half way there. Zd-11 is the part #.
Pretty starter, all clean!;)

mn_sclb

Reaction score
I love test sheets
fe66092f8192589fc942627869fdaa85.jpg

I connected the electrical side of things and I just hear a click, it made the same click sound even when the starter was out. And battery voltage doesn't stop, as if it's not even trying to turn. But if I get under and jump the posts, it turns. Starter relay maybe?https://vimeo.com/122660928https://vimeo.com/122661074

bruce

Reaction score
I would keep my eyes in the classifieds for a set of core injectors. Even if you send yours out to be flowed and freshened up doesn't mean they will absolutely be able to be freshened up. Yeah relay sounds bad. Get the DMM out and check voltage

mn_sclb

Reaction score
There are a couple of u-pull-its around who get 7.3s on and out. I couple get an entire donor engine for $200. I also see a lot of part-outs on craigslist too, along with eBay.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
On an unrelated note, I drove a 2001 7.3 w/ the zf6 in it. Beautiful truck. It's got like 160k. It made me less worried about my blowby, seeing that one in person. Kinda refreshing since we usually only buy duramaxes
3aba9011734aed28935721ad9b95bab7.jpg

mn_sclb

Reaction score
So I have good news, and bad news.. I got it to turn over! I got excited and forgot to set the valve cover on, so I have a big mess to clean up.. Bad news is, the battery cable going in to the relay started smoking.. Like a lot. It didn't turn over very fast, but I only charged one battery, and put a jumper box on the other

BS Hauler

Reaction score
I don't think that you can take a dually box and take the fenders off and put it on a single rear wheel truck. I think that part of the original box side is cut away for tire clearance.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
So I guess it decided to work with me on my birthday, and it actually started this morning... Well sorta. I unplugged the icp, which was oil soaked and It started, idled at 450-500 for about 40 secs and died again. While it was running the pedal wouldn't respond and The idle was really quiet, even considering the hood was open. It felt even tho, no shaking really. After this happened it just didn't have the juice to turn over fast enough anymore except In like 2 sec bursts every 10 mins.

bluedge8

Reaction score
I just found this thread. Fellow Minnesotan here, welcome to the forum! As I read your thread from the beginning just now I was thinking there was a relay on the fender you should be looking at and sure enough you said it smoked, hopefully you didn't damage the batter cables too. So did you put the old inj's back in with the old o rings?. PM me your ph# if you have any other questions. Good luck!