My 7.3 issues

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah, I was an Electronics Warfare System tech in the Air Force. I went through a year of electronics school. Eight hours a day, five days a week, pure electronics, every thing from vacuum tubes to then current military electronics.

ja_cain

Reaction score
LOL sorry I geek out on electrical **** and don't explain it very well I do it for a living, I didn't even think someone could read that and think we had 24v system on are trucks thanKS for explaining it:thumbsup:
I can totally relate to geeking out. ;)

The military vehicles I used to work on had a 24 volt system.

I would like to think that with all of the hard start issues I see pop up, this would be value added info. It may be a little overkill but so is a street driven 600 hp truck to some people. No kill like overkill. :)

mn_sclb

Reaction score
All of the electrical stuff is waaay over my head lol. I was thinking more along the idea of two LEDs post gpr for each bank.. Maybe the ammeter idea too. But about the uppies, what would I be looking for as an indication ? I think what you guys were seeing is blowby from the valve cover being loose.. I just hand tightened the bolts in case it didn't start and I had to take them off again . I (tried to) take a video of the valley and turbo but I couldn't see soot, or any other indicator of a exhaust leak because it has fuel residue or possibly oil on it. https://vimeo.com/124757899

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ja_cain

Reaction score
I posted a pic of mine (mild leak) somewhere around here. I'll post em up here too once I find them on my phone.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Drivers side

88147d92241824c7b3e3c23cb83a5e10.jpg

Passenger side

325f07bd511d82b0d86c7b0eb4c85a59.jpg

mn_sclb

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures! I'll have to look when I have some daylight available. I mentioned that it smokes at idle, it's barely noticeable at times unless the wind is blowing. I drove it today and it doesn't smoke while driving as far as I can tell, as it has 5% back windows. I've been reading and it could maybe be fuel pressure related? But it has power (until 3rd gear then it bogs, but that's a whole other issue.) so then my next best guess is an hpo problem, then injectors. The icp is almost full of oil so that needs to be replaced, if I unplug it while running the idle doesn't change but it does set of a CEL. So then my next best guess is the ipr. I unplugged it and tried to start and it ran the exact same.. Afaik it shouldn't be able to run without that unless it's stuck. So now that it runs, icp, ipr, fuel filter, hydroboost flush, and line replacement.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
I pulled the codes that came after unplugging the ipr, they're all gone but here are the stored ones (there were not any before)
2343ca03b25ffd122e4029bb306e6fca.jpg
it may not be useful since I don't have the extended parameters

ja_cain

Reaction score
Yeah, I was an Electronics Warfare System tech in the Air Force. I went through a year of electronics school. Eight hours a day, five days a week, pure electronics, every thing from vacuum tubes to then current military electronics.

The military schools, in my opinion, are second to none. I was ground radio repair in the Marines. I hear you about the year long school and 8 hour school days. They used to PT the chit out of us too so it made it real hard to stay awake once the swamp coolers stopped working due to it being too hot outside. Those dry erase markers being hummed at you would wake you up real quick though. They still taught systems with vacuum tubes when I was going through too. Good stuff. That being said, I'm still just a hack at all of this. It's nice to know that there are real professionals on here.

Arisley

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures! I'll have to look when I have some daylight available. I mentioned that it smokes at idle, it's barely noticeable at times unless the wind is blowing. I drove it today and it doesn't smoke while driving as far as I can tell, as it has 5% back windows. I've been reading and it could maybe be fuel pressure related? But it has power (until 3rd gear then it bogs, but that's a whole other issue.) so then my next best guess is an hpo problem, then injectors. The icp is almost full of oil so that needs to be replaced, if I unplug it while running the idle doesn't change but it does set of a CEL. So then my next best guess is the ipr. I unplugged it and tried to start and it ran the exact same.. Afaik it shouldn't be able to run without that unless it's stuck. So now that it runs, icp, ipr, fuel filter, hydroboost flush, and line replacement.

If idle did not change when you unplugged the IPR, that means it is bad.

And yes, those codes are unusable without the Ford add-on.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
I unplugged the eot not the ipr when I unplugged the ipr it did not start. But the icp really doesn't do anything for idle other than a SES. I tried to get the kinda rough idle on video but it sounds very different from outside the cab. The really most noticeable it gets is that it skips on high idle (in the video) but if I rev up to 1100 myself it doesn't skiphttps://vimeo.com/125062659

mn_sclb

Reaction score
https://vimeo.com/125541531
Notice the oil pressure doesn't stay up for a few secs after shutdown. & it was fine yesterday, after that video it wouldn't start again. It takes like 5 secs for oil pressure to come up instead of basically immediately. It was running earlier @ 36° until I warmed it up. When I moved it I noticed it was kinda boggy and there was crackle.. Warming it helped but it still wasn't quite right . While running ipr was at like 10.2% and 470psi for hpo. I hope it's leaking honestly, it smokes (more like a haze) all the time the clearest it gets is on my highest tune. But I've only put on 20 miles since it's been running so I find it VERY hard to believe it burned that much in that time. It has to be leaking somewhere. The oil looked to be running off of my back of the block, more toward the passenger side. It leaves notebook sheet sized puddles of oil on the ground.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
While I'm on problems, if I use high idle on the chip it kinda skips a bit. Sometimes it'll fix itself, other times I have to change the tune then go back to it . Imagine if you revved the engine to 1100 then you pulsed the pedal just enough to trip the IVS. Making the idle surge while not letting it go any lower than 1100 but no higher than 1250-1300 . I mentioned the smoke, it's white, Burns your eyes, and smells the same as a friends lly duramax just a bit more fuelly. Also blowby.. It's nonexistent at startup, like none at all. But gets worse as it warms up, it'll never blow the cap off so I'm not overly concerned. I just would assume since metal contracts, a cold sloppy engine should blow by more than a warm tighter block. Right after it stalled in that video I inspected it, and the compressor is surrounded by oil from the ccv. I just don't know what I'd do with the hole in the intake where it was. I'm still kinda weary of this beast just because it sat for so long, so I start it at least 1 time per day to see how it behaves. I also never go out there without my phone for moments like this.

Latest posts

Members online