My 86 Fummins Project

Wayne

Reaction score
That engine looks like the ultimate diamond in the rough project. I've never seen such a rough motor being rebuilt. I'm sure worse have been done, but not that I've seen. That's got to feel great making something so nice out of something so trashed.:clapping:

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
That engine looks like the ultimate diamond in the rough project. I've never seen such a rough motor being rebuilt. I'm sure worse have been done, but not that I've seen. That's got to feel great making something so nice out of something so trashed.:clapping:

I should scan in some of the actual photos of some of the engine that I rebuilt 10+ years ago... what Matt has is mild. LOL When you start dealing with 80 year old iron sitting in the fence row that they built only a small handful of and parts are nonexistent you get an appreciation for reviving parts. LOL

MINK

Reaction score

Matt like um' rough....you should see the chicks he's been with.

Matt_P

Reaction score

Oh yeah its very rough, a little rougher than I originally expected, but since it was free I figured I might as well give it a shot! It definitely does feel good, thats one thing I really enjoy is getting to take something so trashed looking and transforming, I think thats a lot of fun. It might not be the easiest route but a challenge is always good, Im hoping this will be a nice good running engine when its all said and done. So far Im having a good time with it, Im looking forward to starting on all the machining work on it next week.

I got a good rebuild kit set up for it that should be here next week. It will consist of a mostly clevite full rebuild kit, but since I didnt have good luck with clevite bearings on my 24v they are being subsituted with genuine cummins bearings. Then a genuine cummins .010 thicker headgasket because I have a feeling Ill have to deck around .015 off the head to clean it up. Then Ill also be getting .040 over industrial 12v pistons.

I also have a full set of 6 billet freeze plugs as well. so that should get me started.

Matt like um' rough....you should see the chicks he's been with.

I just cant resist their charming personalities:flipa:

Low blow, leave the mans women out of it.

Lol

Looks awesome Matt looking forward to reading more about this build.

Thanks!

Wayne

Reaction score
You know you can and should take as much off the top of the pistons as you do off the top of the block, right? Keep the pics coming.

vcassens

Reaction score
what is the difference in the industrial engine and just a normal engine out of a Dodge truck?

Sent from a bus 6 feet in the air

Matt_P

Reaction score
Wanna sell the ttb lift?

I sure do, Ill sell the lift minus the rear leafs with 6 bilstein 5100s and stainless braided brake lines for 600

Well this one should be a little easier for ya now that you've got one cummins swap under your belt.

Yeah it should be! There is a little more I have to do on this truck than the king ranch but it should be alright

You know you can and should take as much off the top of the pistons as you do off the top of the block, right? Keep the pics coming.

I actually didnt even think about that, but that makes perfect sense to keep the pistons at the correct deck height, Thanks for the heads up on that wayne, it shouldnt be a problem since there is a mill in the shop. Ill be sure to keep the pics coming.

what is the difference in the industrial engine and just a normal engine out of a Dodge truck?

Wondering mind here as well

I know the piston bowl is slightly larger, other than that Im not sure what else is different.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score

There's a ton of little stuff that's different. All the accessories on the front of the engine are usually different, oil pan and pickup, what would be the power steering/ vacuum pump setup is different, also on some of them the injection pumps were different. The injection pumps were still a P7100, however some had 11mm pumps, while the dodge P pumps are 12mm. These are some of the things I have found to be different when I was getting parts together to put a med. duty 12v into a pickup truck.

Matt_P

Reaction score
There's a ton of little stuff that's different. All the accessories on the front of the engine are usually different, oil pan and pickup, what would be the power steering/ vacuum pump setup is different, also on some of them the injection pumps were different. The injection pumps were still a P7100, however some had 11mm pumps, while the dodge P pumps are 12mm. These are some of the things I have found to be different when I was getting parts together to put a med. duty 12v into a pickup truck.

Yeah thats right I forgot about all those differences as well, I was just thinking internally:doh: I need to tear this pump apart still to see whats in it, I know the industrial pump I have on the king ranch is a 190 with 12mm plungers but I dont think thats all too common, I have no clue what size this industrial pump is though

Matt_P

Reaction score
Little more progress today

I checked all the main bores today and they were all right in spec so no align honing needed. I checked the cylinder bores as well, it looks .020 may clean them up but I ran out of time to start honing today.

I also got the crank all polished up and then threw it on the balancer and got it perfectly balanced. I also weighed all the rods and got them balanced as well.

After polishing
IMG_20121029_090701.jpg

Crank all balanced, dont mind my friends hand
IMG_20121029_114801.jpg

Last edited:

Matt_P

Reaction score
I also just went out and took the AFC off the p pump and the delivery valves out and what I was worried about was true, the pump is junk

The whole governor housing is full of sludge and everything is rusty, the delivery valves are rusted to the holders, the plungers are rusty. Time to find a new pump
DSC01258.jpg

DSC01256.jpg

DSC01255.jpg

Matt_P

Reaction score
Thanks to the snow we had a delay this morning so I only got to work about two hours today, but I got started on the honing. Its definitely going .040 over.
IMG_20121030_102437.jpg

The cylinder that we had to press the piston out of after going .008 over
IMG_20121030_105431.jpg

After going .020 over
IMG_20121030_111337.jpg

Cylinder 1 that had the other rusted piston in it after going .020
IMG_20121030_113829.jpg

This one was unexpected. Nice big ridge in cylinder 3 still there after .020 over. Cylinder 6 cleaned up fine with .020 and still need to do 2 and 4
IMG_20121030_115557.jpg

IMG_20121030_115552.jpg

Latest posts

Members online