My auto to ZF6 swap

Mpoage

Reaction score
Didn't buy a manual trans ECM? I'm not sure on differences but I do recall there being two separate ECM's IIRC. I believe MPD ran into issues with their 4r swap because factory ECM wasn't communicating with the transmission. Not sure what can be done to get around this but I believe their fix was a ECM for a manual transmission truck.
The ECM doesent communicate with a manual transmission. IIRC they tried reflashing the stock ECM over to a Manual ECM and they could never get it to take a flash.

brooksfruge

Reaction score
Didn't buy a manual trans ECM? I'm not sure on differences but I do recall there being two separate ECM's IIRC. I believe MPD ran into issues with their 4r swap because factory ECM wasn't communicating with the transmission. Not sure what can be done to get around this but I believe their fix was a ECM for a manual transmission truck.

The PCM from the manual truck is included in the rolled cab that I bought

brooksfruge

Reaction score
i have a few questions for anyone with knowledge about the subjects:
1) the plan right now is to swap in the ecm from the manual truck, is this gonna make us have to swap speedometers as well? also is there going to be issues using a pcm from a different truck/VIN? will swapping pcm's affect anything else electronically?
2) does anyone know the process for removing the steering column? and when its removed, is it possible to swap the ignition barrels from my auto truck so i can use the same key?
3)i believe the transfer cases are both electronically controlled in both trucks, will my 4x4 engage electronically after the swap?
4) there should be a way to use my drive shafts, whats the process of adjusting them to fit?

These questions are things i expect to go wrong during the swap and will most likely be figured out as we do the swap...however if you can shed any light to these questions i would appreciate the help.

BFT

Reaction score
I thought I heard someone mention the rear plates have to be changed for mounting. The gauge cluster will have to be changed. The column assembly seems to be one piece so hopefully that's all you'll need.
I'm not to sure but the TCM will probably have to be flashed for that specific vin.

brooksfruge

Reaction score
I thought I heard someone mention the rear plates have to be changed for mounting. The gauge cluster will have to be changed. The column assembly seems to be one piece so hopefully that's all you'll need.
I'm not to sure but the TCM will probably have to be flashed for that specific vin.

you are correct, the rear main seal retainer has to be swapped to the manual version, unfortunately the seller of the cab sold the motor with that plate so im going to have to go to ford for this piece

i was hoping to avoid changing the gauge cluster as the one from the wrecked truck isnt the same as mine and im concerned about the new gauges showing a different number of miles on the truck....is there a way to flash the speedometer with IDS?

i didnt know the manual transmission trucks had a tcm, if they do i gotta figure out what needs to be done there.

BFT

Reaction score
My bad... I was reading swapping from a manual to auto :doe:
In that case I would think you'd be fine. The T case is on a seperate harness. I think both drivelines are different.

brooksfruge

Reaction score
My bad... I was reading swapping from a manual to auto :doe:
In that case I would think you'd be fine. The T case is on a seperate harness. I think both drivelines are different.

i was under the impression the transfer cases were the same, but i could be wrong, another problem is drive shaft lengths...whether they are different and if they are if the auto ones can be used or adjusted to fit

Dieselfarmer

Reaction score
Just cause someone thinks that they beat off to valair clutches in their little dodges doesnt mean it will be awesome in your truck. You suck by the way.

Any way driveshafts are a big deal, hopefully wont have to be lengthened or shortened by too much but Brazzos valley driveline can do it. Driveshaft work is $$$.

Once again you suck.

good luck with the swap

brooksfruge

Reaction score
Just cause someone thinks that they beat off to valair clutches in their little dodges doesnt mean it will be awesome in your truck. You suck by the way.

Any way driveshafts are a big deal, hopefully wont have to be lengthened or shortened by too much but Brazzos valley driveline can do it. Driveshaft work is $$$.

Once again you suck.

good luck with the swap

Thanks budday, and I'm goin with Valair cause I can get a good deal, I have no clue if they are the best but this swap is happening on a college kids budget, you should know that engledick

MINK

Reaction score

Once again you suck.

good luck with the swap

I hope you guys are friends.

Valair makes a stand up product....and if you think driveshaft work is $$$ then you shouldnt be in this sport.

IDP

Reaction score
I saw a south bend on another site for pretty cheap a little while back. Guy sold his truck or something. There's no ford guys over there so probaly still is there, also I don't know if kennys pulling parts is doin 6.4 clutchs yet but there great clutchs and a good deal.

brooksfruge

Reaction score
I hope you guys are friends.

Valair makes a stand up product....and if you think driveshaft work is $$$ then you shouldnt be in this sport.

ya we both go to texas a&m, ive heard nothing but great things about valair

I saw a south bend on another site for pretty cheap a little while back. Guy sold his truck or something. There's no ford guys over there so probaly still is there, also I don't know if kennys pulling parts is doin 6.4 clutchs yet but there great clutchs and a good deal.

what site did you the see the clutch on?

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
Cool build guys!

I live about 45 mins from you guys but it ain't nothin for me to make a trip up there. I'd love to meet some of y'all from here and see some nice 6.4's. always willing to help turn a wrench too! Shoot me a text 979716seven31seven