My auto to ZF6 swap

83f350

Reaction score
this is definitly a sweet build! and if it helps at all when my friend went from an e40d to a zf-5 in his 97 he had to swap driveshafts because the auto was shorter if I remember

smokinstroker

Reaction score
T case will be the same if I remember correctly. What is different is the tail on the transmission (different from auto to manual)

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
T case will be the same if I remember correctly. What is different is the tail on the transmission (different from auto to manual)

Technically they are the same, but they aren't. The input shaft on them is different between the two. You should also be able to use your shafts too.

sent from the shop making things fly.....

Johnny77Mutt

Reaction score
Awesome swap man and all the good luck to you. Welcome to the handshaker club. Autos are quicker but no wheres near as fun!

Dieselfarmer

Reaction score
Things that have been brought up:

- Is the output spline of the auto the same as the output spline count for the zf6? If so then the transfer case should bolt up, if not then you will need a new input shaft on the transfer case.

- driveshafts: big deal if they do not fit, which is hard to say if they will or not. May have to either find a set off a manual cc/sb (almost impossible) or have two custom made. $$$$

Those are the two biggest things I can think of off the top of my head.

There are more to look at.

you still suck

Super08Duty

Reaction score
My biggest concern would be the driveshafts. If you have to have custom ones made, get ready for a big bill. Wouldn't get your hopes up that January 1st you'll be grabbing gears. That's a short window for not knowing what's to come. Ill be there to help...or just drink and annoy you...

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I don't know if drive shaft shops are raping you Texas people or what. But up here in michigan one can get a drive shaft shortened/ lengthened and balanced by a good shop for right around $150. Then there are some shady shops that will do it cheaper.
Having to mess with your drive shafts shouldn't be very high on your list of concerns with this swap.

brooksfruge

Reaction score
Cool build guys!

I live about 45 mins from you guys but it ain't nothin for me to make a trip up there. I'd love to meet some of y'all from here and see some nice 6.4's. always willing to help turn a wrench too! Shoot me a text 979716seven31seven
will do bud, could use some help later this month

Things that have been brought up:

- Is the output spline of the auto the same as the output spline count for the zf6? If so then the transfer case should bolt up, if not then you will need a new input shaft on the transfer case.

- driveshafts: big deal if they do not fit, which is hard to say if they will or not. May have to either find a set off a manual cc/sb (almost impossible) or have two custom made. $$$$

Those are the two biggest things I can think of off the top of my head.

There are more to look at.

you still suck

i gotta find out if the splines are different but im not too worried about it, i need to talk to the guy i bought the cab and parts from as he might be including the driveshafts with the parts i bought, i failed to ask, and even if he didnt youd be surprised what salvage yards have if you take the time to look, chit the auto driveshafts might work and we wont have to worry bout it, we shall see

My biggest concern would be the driveshafts. If you have to have custom ones made, get ready for a big bill. Wouldn't get your hopes up that January 1st you'll be grabbing gears. That's a short window for not knowing what's to come. Ill be there to help...or just drink and annoy you...

may not happen by the 1st as i expect to run into many things along the way but we will sure try, ill buy the beer as long as you show up buddy, could use some help with this one

I don't know if drive shaft shops are raping you Texas people or what. But up here in michigan one can get a drive shaft shortened/ lengthened and balanced by a good shop for right around $150. Then there are some shady shops that will do it cheaper.
Having to mess with your drive shafts shouldn't be very high on your list of concerns with this swap.

^WHS, im more worried about the electronic side of this swap than anything, driveline can be figured out fairly easily, whether we have to shorten/lengthen the driveshafts or find them from a salvage yard, i just dont know what to expect on the electronic side of this swap

Super08Duty

Reaction score
I'll be there. Ill bring my torches and sawzall...

Our local driveshaft shop isn't exactly cheap. Pretty sure their prices are whatever they feel like at that time.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
If anyone is paying more than 200 to have a shaft cut down or added to, Find a new shop. Or call Tom woods driveshafts and order some new ones.

MorganY

Reaction score
If anyone is paying more than 200 to have a shaft cut down or added to, Find a new shop. Or call Tom woods driveshafts and order some new ones.

The driveline shop here locally that he is considering is very proud of their work, which is mostly for semi's. The work is fantastic, but you pay the premium.

Got a few machined pieces from them, turned out awesome, just had to pay out a pretty penny.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Looks like an awesome project!
Yes I do really like the Valair ceramic DD I'm running. Dan told me it should be good to around 700 hp, I'm hoping to get to find out as long as the check book will cooperate! Lol! Dan is a great guy and will do what he can to help!

B585Ford

Reaction score
Looks like an awesome project!
Yes I do really like the Valair ceramic DD I'm running. Dan told me it should be good to around 700 hp, I'm hoping to get to find out as long as the check book will cooperate! Lol! Dan is a great guy and will do what he can to help!

Glad to hear it....I have never heard much feedback one way or the other about Valair...hope you get to test the 700 HP theory.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Ohhh im so jelous! I searched for 4months for a manual 6.4L and finanly gave in and bought an auto..least its got a maual 4x4 shifter! ive always wondered how big of a pain in the a$$ this swap would be!

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Well if there too proud. Call up Tom Woods custom shafts. A brand new cv front is right around 400 any length you need.

Members online

No members online now.