My auto to ZF6 swap

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Glad to hear it....I have never heard much feedback one way or the other about Valair...hope you get to test the 700 HP theory.

I'm hoping to see close to 700 soon but you know how it goes with the pocketbook and being able to order goodies! Lol!

Back on track this is an awesome swap and if you contact Valair try an talk to Dan, and tell him that Jake Brown referred you!

brooksfruge

Reaction score
I'm hoping to see close to 700 soon but you know how it goes with the pocketbook and being able to order goodies! Lol!

Back on track this is an awesome swap and if you contact Valair try an talk to Dan, and tell him that Jake Brown referred you!

Will do, I'm gonna give him a call next week and see what he can do for me

B585Ford

Reaction score
I know I've said it and a bunch of others....but this is a really cool project. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

brooksfruge

Reaction score
I know I've said it and a bunch of others....but this is a really cool project. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Appreciate it guys, ill keep y'all updated as the swap progresses, im ready to be grabbin some gears, good news is when it's all said and done we will know the fine details of the swap so others who are interested in doing it know what's needed

Reaction score
i have a few questions for anyone with knowledge about the subjects:
1) the plan right now is to swap in the ecm from the manual truck, is this gonna make us have to swap speedometers as well? also is there going to be issues using a pcm from a different truck/VIN? will swapping pcm's affect anything else electronically?

You will have to get your gauge cluster reprogrammed. I have had it happen with corrupt tuning that I had to force new stock file onto truck then the gauge.cluster got messed up. Tried swapping out a cluster from another truck and it did the exactly the same thing. It will need to be programmed to your vin if you want to keep the original.

Btw all the trans harness will have to be swapped and possibly the underhood chassis harness and underdash harness too. Fwiw.

2) does anyone know the process for removing the steering column? and when its removed, is it possible to swap the ignition barrels from my auto truck so i can use the same key?

Yes you can swap the ignition you have to pull off the plastic around the column and insert the key there is a little button on the ingitoin if you push it in with a pick and turn the key it will pop right out. Column just unplugs and unbolts.

3)i believe the transfer cases are both electronically controlled in both trucks, will my 4x4 engage electronically after the swap?

If they are both electronic then it should work. But the input splines are different between auto and Zf, at least they were between 4r and Zf. As far as I know they are still different with the 5r.

4) there should be a way to use my drive shafts, whats the process of adjusting them to fit?

You will most likely have to have them modified but thats no biggie as stated earlier find a used front from a manual any wheelbase will work. The rear you may as well get it modified.

Hope this helps some

Sent while hooked to something, somewhere, with my foot through the floor!

black6.4

Reaction score
Your going to run into a lot of little head aches that you won't expect, I've been a part of one of these projects...if you need some pointers pm. Me

brooksfruge

Reaction score
You will have to get your gauge cluster reprogrammed. I have had it happen with corrupt tuning that I had to force new stock file onto truck then the gauge.cluster got messed up. Tried swapping out a cluster from another truck and it did the exactly the same thing. It will need to be programmed to your vin if you want to keep the original.

Btw all the trans harness will have to be swapped and possibly the underhood chassis harness and underdash harness too. Fwiw.
Thanks you very much for the info, I have a few more questions:
1) are the PCMs vin locked to the truck they come off of? If not, when I swap the manual PCM into my truck do I have to get the PCM flashed to my vin?
2) where do i go to get my gauge cluster reflashed, and would it be flashed to the same vin as the manual PCM or the vin of my truck?
3)do you know where the trans harness, undersold chassis harness, and under dash harness are located on the 6.4's?

Thanks in advance

brooksfruge

Reaction score
Your going to run into a lot of little head aches that you won't expect, I've been a part of one of these projects...if you need some pointers pm. Me

Ya I'm expecting a bunch of headaches, ill definitely be askin for help, have any general pointers?

Reaction score
Thanks you very much for the info, I have a few more questions:
1) are the PCMs vin locked to the truck they come off of? If not, when I swap the manual PCM into my truck do I have to get the PCM flashed to my vin?
2) where do i go to get my gauge cluster reflashed, and would it be flashed to the same vin as the manual PCM or the vin of my truck?
3)do you know where the trans harness, undersold chassis harness, and under dash harness are located on the 6.4's?

Thanks in advance

1. The pcm that you swap in will stay as it is. It will not matter what the vin of the truck is since your truck vin flash would constitute that it is an auto. You will keep the manual trans pcm and flash that is already in it.

2. Take the truck to ford and they will flash the cluster to work with the pcm in the truck. Just make sure you explain that it has been swapped and that the pcm in it is different than what the vin calls for. Take the vin # off the wrecked truck with you as well as they may need it.

3.underhood harness goes from the pcm around the front clip to the drivers side where there is three big plugs that plug into the trans harness, rear chassis harness and transfer case harness. Under dash harness will mean the big harness under the dash. Hopefully you don't have to change that one because it means tearing the whole dash out. The under dash harness should be the same but you never know until you try it. Trans harness is a short harness that goes from the underhood harness to the trans.

You will have to put the trans harness in for sure. The others you just gotta make sure every plug hooks up and they are the same as what is in the donor truck. If they are different you will have to switch them. IE: the underdash harness should have the plugs for the clutch pedal switch already on your truck, but if they aren't then the you will have to switch the harness from the donor truck.

brooksfruge

Reaction score
1. The pcm that you swap in will stay as it is. It will not matter what the vin of the truck is since your truck vin flash would constitute that it is an auto. You will keep the manual trans pcm and flash that is already in it.

2. Take the truck to ford and they will flash the cluster to work with the pcm in the truck. Just make sure you explain that it has been swapped and that the pcm in it is different than what the vin calls for. Take the vin # off the wrecked truck with you as well as they may need it.

3.underhood harness goes from the pcm around the front clip to the drivers side where there is three big plugs that plug into the trans harness, rear chassis harness and transfer case harness. Under dash harness will mean the big harness under the dash. Hopefully you don't have to change that one because it means tearing the whole dash out. The under dash harness should be the same but you never know until you try it. Trans harness is a short harness that goes from the underhood harness to the trans.

You will have to put the trans harness in for sure. The others you just gotta make sure every plug hooks up and they are the same as what is in the donor truck. If they are different you will have to switch them. IE: the underdash harness should have the plugs for the clutch pedal switch already on your truck, but if they aren't then the you will have to switch the harness from the donor truck.

Thanks for the info buddy, I'm sure ill be pming you throughout the swap, those harnesses should be on the donor truck but I gotta check when I pick up the cab in Missouri, if not then hopefully they aren't too expensive from ford

brooksfruge

Reaction score
While workin in Tyler, Tx this weekend, I bought a Southbend 3600 sintered iron clutch rated for 750 from a guy on comp d. Will run this clutch when the swap is complete for now. All that's left is the manual rear main seal retainer and I gotta drive up to Missouri at some point to pick up the donor truck.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Keys aren't vin locked.

Vin can be changed in PCM.

IIRC it will change the vin in several other modules when you do it. Shouldn't be a problem for you since you're putting your vin into your truck with only a different PCM.

You'll need an IDS to do it.

As for PCM differences I can't be sure but you should be able to blank path program a manual trans calibration onto any PCM, just take the TCM offline.

Use the tear tag number off the PCM in the donor cab. You could also pull them both out and see of the hardware number is any different.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
And programming a different vin onto an already in use PCM isn't straightforward either.

Probably difficult for a reason.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
They do communicate through the PCM but they aren't VIN locked.

The PATS transceiver sends the signal to the IC from the key. The IC then says "yep! Key is good!" (Handshake) And says to the PCM "enable start system. Enable fuel injection."

If the IC or the PCM is being replaced you need to do a parameter reset.

Younger pm me your email address I can send you the description and operation from the WSM if you want.

Latest posts

Members online