MY BIG 6.7 BUILD

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the stock one and a balanced assembly. Not my truck though. Hope it works

Sent from a mountain top in Appalachia

Reaction score
The problem is to make a fluidamper work, you have to spin it over a certain rpm for so long (as per fluidamper) to make the viscous fluid equalize. Otherwise it will be settled and not balance out. We've done this with gas engines. You can balance the crank, let it sit over night the fluid moves and then run the balance again and it will be off. Re-balance, let it sit and it will be off again. There is no way to truly balance a fluidamper. The only way is to balance using stock. Then if you absolutely had to run a fluidamper you would have to switch and hope the balance holds true.

I ran a new stock balancer on mine and it ran 6k rpm. And I never once had a issue with oil pump or bearings.

To each his own. But seems like you had to add a lot of heavy metal to the crank. But then again we don't use Carrillo rods either. So I don't know their weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
The problem is to make a fluidamper work, you have to spin it over a certain rpm for so long (as per fluidamper) to make the viscous fluid equalize. Otherwise it will be settled and not balance out. We've done this with gas engines. You can balance the crank, let it sit over night the fluid moves and then run the balance again and it will be off. Re-balance, let it sit and it will be off again. There is no way to truly balance a fluidamper. The only way is to balance using stock. Then if you absolutely had to run a fluidamper you would have to switch and hope the balance holds true.

I ran a new stock balancer on mine and it ran 6k rpm. And I never once had a issue with oil pump or bearings.

To each his own. But seems like you had to add a lot of heavy metal to the crank. But then again we don't use Carrillo rods either. So I don't know their weight.

this is what made my mind up to go back to a stock damper..

speaking of fluidamper, you still got one of a certain 7.3 laying around your shop?

live life full throttle

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
this is what made my mind up to go back to a stock damper..

speaking of fluidamper, you still got one of a certain 7.3 laying around your shop?

live life full throttle

its not any issue on a 7.3 , i ran one for years. on a 6.7 , no way jose .

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
1st time i paid for balancing to be done at mikes diesel performance in Chelsea Mi on my stock rod motor and it was never done.. had a fluidamper installed at the time also.. thought all was well till other issues popped up. took it to morgan and i opted for billet rods this go round so morgan explained to me what he said above about the damper so we went back to a stock damper and he actually got the rotating assembly balanced...

and my fluidamper is still at his shop.. i think.. lol

live life full throttle

Swsignal5

Reaction score

It was balanced with the stock balancer and also I would never run Carrillo rods. I have R&R.

Swsignal5

Reaction score
1st time i paid for balancing to be done at mikes diesel performance in Chelsea Mi on my stock rod motor and it was never done.. had a fluidamper installed at the time also.. thought all was well till other issues popped up. took it to morgan and i opted for billet rods this go round so morgan explained to me what he said above about the damper so we went back to a stock damper and he actually got the rotating assembly balanced...

and my fluidamper is still at his shop.. i think.. lol

live life full throttle

Yeah fluidamper says that's the crank can not be balanced with their balancer. It's done with the factory one.

sootie

Reaction score
why use a part that is the common denominator in many failures???

go stock and don't look back...

Reaction score
I just talked with a friend from ATI and he said they were finishing up some R&D and should be on to production shortly.

The only reason I would be interested in an aftermarket dampener would be to run quicker than 10.99 at some point. Quicker than 10.99 requires an SFI 18.1 dampener.

Hopefully someone steps up their game.

Reaction score

I have seen a few 7.3 lpop gears break. But not near as many as 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7. If it's balanced with factory and then swapped that's your best chance of it working. And I have nothing personal against fluidamper. People have had success with them. I just will not personally run one. On anything.

It was balanced with the stock balancer and also I would never run Carrillo rods. I have R&R.

Good deal

Yeah fluidamper says that's the crank can not be balanced with their balancer. It's done with the factory one.

Yep that's what I was getting at.

I just talked with a friend from ATI and he said they were finishing up some R&D and should be on to production shortly.

The only reason I would be interested in an aftermarket dampener would be to run quicker than 10.99 at some point. Quicker than 10.99 requires an SFI 18.1 dampener.

Hopefully someone steps up their game.

Agreed. The stock one is so light and well constructed the only real reason to swap would be SFI. And I am sure the ati will work better than even oem.

Reaction score
I have seen a few 7.3 lpop gears break. But not near as many as 6.0, 6.4 or 6.7. If it's balanced with factory and then swapped that's your best chance of it working. And I have nothing personal against fluidamper. People have had success with them. I just will not personally run one. On anything.

Good deal

Yep that's what I was getting at.

Agreed. The stock one is so light and well constructed the only real reason to swap would be SFI. And I am sure the ati will work better than even oem.

I wonder how many people have balanced their assembly with the Fluidampr? If they did, that's part of the problem already. You can't balance a rotating assembly with a Fluidampr installed as mentioned above. The Fluidampr needs torsional vibration to excite the internal inertia ring for it to be properly balanced. Every engine has torsional vibration as soon as it fires and with each powerstroke of the engine. However, a balance machine does not, therefore, the engine builder will chase a slight imbalance of the internal inertia ring settling each time the balance machine stops.

I agree that the stock damper is probably sufficient for any current build on these trucks. You have obviously proven that they can handle quite a bit.

Swsignal5

Reaction score
97a6ff753e9c165ce6f5873829110449.jpg
the new "glow plugs" just arrived lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.